Ser@to Related - Backing Up Files

therecordpeddlertherecordpeddler 229 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
So I know I could take this shit to a href="mailto:Ser@to"1Ser@to/a1 forums or whatever but I trust a strutteurs opinion more...b,121b,121I'm planning on re-formatting my powerbook but I don't want to lose all the manual work I've put into a href="mailto:Ser@to"1Ser@to/a1 files - such as BPM, info in the comments portion, etc. b, 21b, 21Is there a way to back this info up or does it automatically save to the mp3 file?b,121b,121Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Related question: what *portable* external HDs would folks ride for. I've been thinking of copping a 100-250GB external since my laptop is running out of room.

• you should be able to copy the itunes, Microwave, and any related folders in their entirety. Then you can dump them back onto the reformatted computer and it will be just like before. b,121b,121Oliver, don't buy a 100mb. You'll end up needing more at some point and it's kind of pointless to buy a 100 these days. The price for a 250 or higher is not bad at all. I bought a 300mb seagate for about $100. That was awhile ago too.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Piggy back question: what bus-powered portable external hard drive would folks ride for. I'm tired of dealing with a power adaptor.b,121b,121Microwave has instructions on the scratchlive.net website for library backup. Basically you need to make a copy of that "ScratchLive" folder within your computer's music folder and then when you reformat, take the folder where all your music is stored and drag it over the "Relocate lost files" button in setup, and it will search through and match up your library entries/overviews with the actual files.

• i was pleased to see after copying some mp3's to my desktop after being BPM'd in Microwave on the laptop, the BPM's stayed w/ the track info...

• much appreciated. carry on with the external hard drive discussion. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hijack.gif" alt="" /1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121you should be able to copy the itunes, Microwave, and any related folders in their entirety. Then you can dump them back onto the reformatted computer and it will be just like before. b,121b,121Oliver, don't buy a 100mb. You'll end up needing more at some point and it's kind of pointless to buy a 100 these days. The price for a 250 or higher is not bad at all. I bought a 300mb seagate for about $100. That was awhile ago too. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Damn, I hadn't realized the price point was so low on external portables these days. b, 21b, 21My only concern is that whatever I buy, I almost feel like I should buy a second HD to back that portable up, just given the wear-and-tear factor on toting a portable around. b, 21b, 21So you ride for Seagate?

• you're kind of confusing me with the "portable" part. All externals should be portable.b, 21b,121I ride for seagate, but I don't use an external outside of my house often, so I can't say anything about it wear and tear wise. I have a bunch of different external hds and I never really noticed a difference. My mac mini died awhile back and my friend put it in simple terms. They make millions of HDs, so some of them are bound to be duds. It could be the best brand, but you may get stuck with a lemon. b, 21b,121buying two isn't that bad of an idea, especially if you're concerned about losing anything.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121you're kind of confusing me with the "portable" part. All externals should be portable.b, 21b,121I ride for seagate, but I don't use an external outside of my house often, so I can't say anything about it wear and tear wise. I have a bunch of different external hds and I never really noticed a difference. My mac mini died awhile back and my friend put it in simple terms. They make millions of HDs, so some of them are bound to be duds. It could be the best brand, but you may get stuck with a lemon. b, 21b,121buying two isn't that bad of an idea, especially if you're concerned about losing anything. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121it's the diff b/t an external HD that you have set-up on your desk that requires its own power source vs. an external HD I can tote to the clurb and which I can power off Firewire or USB 2.0. The latter is truly "portable" in a way the former is not.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21So you ride for Seagate? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121For externals? Hell to the nah!!!b, 21b, 21Weird power issues abound.b,121b,121I'm only co-signing Western Digital My Passport Studio drives right now. b, 21b, 21As far as backing up the portable, I would suggest building your own ext with a decent case and a solid 7200rpm & up with 1TB or 500GB drive as backup.

• I gotcha. It still seems safer to me to have a power source than to rely on the laptop. It's only one extra cord. Do you use the power supply for the Microwave box? Maybe I play it too safe.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21I'm only co-signing Western Digital My Passport Studio drives right now. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This cat I know who DJ's all over town has a Passport which he actually velcroed to the top of the laptop. Like on the other side of the screen. He's says it's pretty damn solid. I'm not sure how often he runs off of it, though.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I gotcha. It still seems safer to me to have a power source than to rely on the laptop. It's only one extra cord. Do you use the power supply for the Microwave box? Maybe I play it too safe. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Actually, now that I think about it, I have it backwards. I should use an external drive to back-up my normal MP3 files, move those OFF my laptop and only leave my Serat0 files on the laptop (I currently only have a few gigs of music exclusively for Serat0 use). b, 21b, 21To address your other point though: toting an extra power supply also means having to be able to power it, having to remember one more thing to bring, blah blah blah. The point in portability, to me, is simplicity and convenience so yeah, I'd prefer not to have to bring a separate power supply. But as noted, I don't really need a portable on second thought; I just need to move my normal MP3s and podcasts to a separate drive from my laptop.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21I'm only co-signing Western Digital My Passport Studio drives right now. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This cat I know who DJ's all over town has a Passport which he actually velcroed to the top of the laptop. Like on the other side of the screen. He's says it's pretty damn solid. I'm not sure how often he runs off of it, though. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, my one issue with them is the the cable is insanely short which has caused disconnections before. I was looking for a solution like that myself to keep it stable but well within the cable's short reach.

• side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You have two macs? You can turn one of them into a "target disc" and use a firewire cable to connect them.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You have two macs? You can turn one of them into a "target disc" and use a firewire cable to connect them. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121No Mac, running w/ PC's... im thinkin maybe just USB to USB will work?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You have two macs? You can turn one of them into a "target disc" and use a firewire cable to connect them. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121No Mac, running w/ PC's... im thinkin maybe just USB to USB will work? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121nope... There's not even such a cable in existence. A LAN is your best bet.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You have two macs? You can turn one of them into a "target disc" and use a firewire cable to connect them. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121but... what do you do if one of them is a latest gen Macbook? hmmmm...b,121b,121fuscking Apple.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121side question: whats the best way to transfer files computer to computer with out using an external? LAN? is there a cable and/or software required? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You have two macs? You can turn one of them into a "target disc" and use a firewire cable to connect them. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121No Mac, running w/ PC's... im thinkin maybe just USB to USB will work? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Grab a cheap 1-2 gig usb flash drive. easy breezy

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I have a 160gb SimpleTech drive that is powered through the USB port and it's been great!b, 21I believe you can probably get a 250gb for about a bill now.b,121b,121I had a Western Digital My Book or whatever and it crashed hard on me.b,121Computer dude said that they sometimes have problems because of the way their economy power systems power up and down throughout the day....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Actually, now that I think about it, I have it backwards. I should use an external drive to back-up my normal MP3 files, move those OFF my laptop and only leave my Serat0 files on the laptop (I currently only have a few gigs of music exclusively for Serat0 use).b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It really depends on how you acquire your MP3s. Many people don't use their Serat0 laptops for anything besides Serat0 so the external is a lot more important because they're transferring files back and forth all the time. I would say that avoiding use of an external drive at all is probably for the best because that's just one more area that shit can go wrong (provided it runs relatively stable on your internal drive which it should.)b,121b,121I would say what you have in mind is a good idea except that I would actually purchase a second external drive and backup to that also. Hard drives are cheap enough now to perform multiple backups and definitely worth the cost.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Actually, now that I think about it, I have it backwards. I should use an external drive to back-up my normal MP3 files, move those OFF my laptop and only leave my Serat0 files on the laptop (I currently only have a few gigs of music exclusively for Serat0 use).b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It really depends on how you acquire your MP3s. Many people don't use their Serat0 laptops for anything besides Serat0 so the external is a lot more important because they're transferring files back and forth all the time. I would say that avoiding use of an external drive at all is probably for the best because that's just one more area that shit can go wrong (provided it runs relatively stable on your internal drive which it should.)b,1/1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I think most hardware dudes would say avoid spinning the hard disc of any extended period of time, especially on a laptop.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Actually, now that I think about it, I have it backwards. I should use an external drive to back-up my normal MP3 files, move those OFF my laptop and only leave my Serat0 files on the laptop (I currently only have a few gigs of music exclusively for Serat0 use).b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It really depends on how you acquire your MP3s. Many people don't use their Serat0 laptops for anything besides Serat0 so the external is a lot more important because they're transferring files back and forth all the time. I would say that avoiding use of an external drive at all is probably for the best because that's just one more area that shit can go wrong (provided it runs relatively stable on your internal drive which it should.)b,1/1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I think most hardware dudes would say avoid spinning the hard disc of any extended period of time, especially on a laptop. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1Yeah, definitely overlooked that. I've just heard of so many people having random USB problems that are easy to avoid. Either way though, your hard drive is going to fail someday so keeping frequent backups is key which a lot of people still don't seem to get...

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Actually, now that I think about it, I have it backwards. I should use an external drive to back-up my normal MP3 files, move those OFF my laptop and only leave my Serat0 files on the laptop (I currently only have a few gigs of music exclusively for Serat0 use).b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It really depends on how you acquire your MP3s. Many people don't use their Serat0 laptops for anything besides Serat0 so the external is a lot more important because they're transferring files back and forth all the time. I would say that avoiding use of an external drive at all is probably for the best because that's just one more area that shit can go wrong (provided it runs relatively stable on your internal drive which it should.)b,1/1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I think most hardware dudes would say avoid spinning the hard disc of any extended period of time, especially on a laptop. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1Yeah, definitely overlooked that. I've just heard of so many people having random USB problems that are easy to avoid. Either way though, your hard drive is going to fail someday so keeping frequent backups is key which a lot of people still don't seem to get... b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121 USB in serat0. Avoiding the bus (which the Microwave box is also on) seems to resolve a gang of issues, especially with responsiveness and full or near USB dropouts.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121 USB in serat0. Avoiding the bus (which the Microwave box is also on) seems to resolve a gang of issues, especially with responsiveness and full or near USB dropouts. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Firewire?b, 21b, 21img src="http://images.apple.com/macbook/images/overview-hero20081014.jpg"1b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" /1