Quentin’s on his way...

2»

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i'm sure this has been addressed before but i was hoping the strutters would amuse me...
    my question is this: why do you think folks are on Tarantino's dick when its clear that he is 'sampling' from other movies? Tarantino's a genius but (insert favorite hiphop producer) is a rip-off artist? obviously, i've got my own theories, just curious about others takes on it.

You're asking this on a forum that's populated mainly by hip-hop heads? Hmmmmm.

Bottomline, his films are extremely entertaining and the level of which he borrows from other films is often blown out of proportions. Take, for example, The Taking of Pelham 123 which uses character names such as "Mr.Blue". In Pelham you hardly notice the use of it whereas in Reservoir Dogs it's used more frequently and with much greater effect and use in the story. I have yet to see City of Fire but it's supposed to have inspired much of Reservoir Dogs too.

Glad you brought this up. There's been shit loads of movies that inspired Tarantino that I have yet to see. I'm gonna add them to my Netlfix now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I love John Carpenter older works... But to tell you the truth, nuthin' in the last while has been anywhere near his older stuff. I mean... Ghost of Mars is one of the worst films I've ever seen. What has he done in the last 10 years? Vampires, Escape from L.A., Village of the Damned... Don't get me wrong tho... He is a wicked director. Just not liking anything for the last while.

And BTILC has always been one of my fav films...

Speaking on Qt,

Did anyone like True Romance?

John Carpenter is one of the few directors in history that remade a movie and it is better than the original...The Thing.

*I know, I know the famous "Scarface" is better than the OG, but it was considerably rewritten, but "The Thing" is almost a straight remake.

True... I love JC's The Thing. Wicked movie...

There's a few others I like for remakes over the OG's...

The Fly, Cape Fear, Ocean's 11 off the top of my head.

Fuck all of ya'll..

The Wiz>The Wizard of Oz

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    sorry to be such a disspointment...
    i'm not calling tarantino a genius...regardless, no ones answered the question, yet. why do you think its more socially acceptable for tarantino to 'sample' than a producer?

Because what QT is doing is not 'sampling' in the direct sense. He's not using footage of old films and collaging them together the same way hip hop producers do with vinyl. It would be more accurate to call what he does an 'interpolation' or a 'recreation' or 'homage' to past films.

And why do hip hop producers get so much shit? Because most of the time they are not getting musicians into the studio to play what they want to sample, and before licensing and all of that kicked in in the late 80's/early 90's fools weren't getting kickbacks for getting sampled. A LOT of musicians do not think DJs/hip hop producers are real musicians, and I think are kind of jealous of the fact that they blew up as big as they have. Kinda like when records first started getting radio play back in the day, all the orchestra musicians thought they were gonna lose their radio jobs.

I knew a guy who hated the Beastie Boys because they sampled Led Zeppelin and didn't give credit. But last I heard he was still living at home delivering pizzas.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Maybe I am missing something, but the general public LOVES stuff like Puffy covering 80s hits,etc, and hell, I love him completely covering Jeff Lorber for shit like "Crush on You" or 'Between the Sheets' for "Big Poppa"!

Who are these people this thread is speaking of??!!??
    Sampling is loved and accepted and paid for allla the damn time!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Ocean's 11 remake > original

Granted... There's no singin' numbers in the new one. But come on... Seriously... The OG (Besides having the rat pack in it) sucked.

• Ocean's 11 remake > original

Me too, add

Me too, add

I'm just sayin' The OG is nothing more than a lil shitty movie that was just used to have the rat pack do a film together. The plot is weak and I thought the ending was shite.

But then... I do own the OG and not the remake so...

Side note:

Ocean's 12 was

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Me too, add

I'm just sayin' The OG is nothing more than a lil shitty movie that was just used to have the rat pack do a film together. The plot is weak and I thought the ending was shite.

I agree. The first one has beautiful set design, groovy music and nice suits but comes nowhere close to the energy and dynamic pacing of the remake.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    with RZA producing most of the soundtracks for the two kill bill movies,
    He produced maybe 3 or 4 songs over both movies right? The rest is all unaltered compositions by people like Ennio, Esmeralda and Zamphir. He was more like a music director on this film than doing the scoring like "Ghost Dog".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    with RZA producing most of the soundtracks for the two kill bill movies,
    He produced maybe 3 or 4 songs over both movies right? The rest is all unaltered compositions by people like Ennio, Esmeralda and Zamphir. He was more like a music director on this film than doing the scoring like "Ghost Dog".

yeah, if you see my above post, he just recycled old soundtracks...which was unnecessary

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    his movies made me really happy back in the day, but after FOUR ROOMS...?

i liked four rooms. especially quen quens section. it was all just out there.

no the best scene had to be the one with antonio banderas and those phucked up kids and the dead hooker. the part when the bell hop discovers the dead hooker and gets stabbed with the needle by the girl, that's one of my fav scenes ever, who did that rodgriguez?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    oh dear jihad, I thought someone was gonna say they had the pharcyde dude

"Quentins on his way" Single

utterly dissapointed

incidentally off topic i've heard a video exists for it as well

me too...damn it, i am disappointed.

since we're talkin about tarantino..the guys does obviously rip off (oops sorry) is influenced by a lot of other directors. i thought his first few movies were straight rip offs of john woo movies. i don't fault him though, and the only movie i didn't like that he had something to do with was "from dusk til dawn". it does crack me up that he is way far up uma thurman's ass though.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    It's not "sampling" if you steal an entire plot, along with numerous scenes shot for shot, and claim you wrote it.

"Sergio Leone, born in 1929 in Rome, son of silent film director Vincenzo Leone, is best known for the creation of the spaghetti westerns. After making and writing several sword and sandal epics Leone decided to adapt Yojimbo, a samurai film by Akira Kurosawa. Leone turned it into the western A Fistful of Dollars in 1964, starring an unknown Clint Eastwood. Leone got much of his style, both in the complicated mise-en-scene and the use of Ennio Morricone's music from Yojimbo (but not the trademark Kurosawa wipe edit). A Fistful of Dollars created the spaghetti western genre which encompassed more than 200 films, sharing the features of being created in Italy, frequently being filmed in Spain, featuring self-assured killers with no names, scores either by Ennio Morricone, or in his style, and, of course, the shootout." (www.fistful-of-leone.com)

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    quentin was actually pharcyde's weed dealer from la. i hooked from him a couple times then got a 12" he released a couple years after bizarre ride.

oh, wait... tarantino... ne'ermind

• snosno 332 Posts
    since we're talkin about tarantino..the guys does obviously rip off (oops sorry) is influenced by a lot of other directors. i thought his first few movies were straight rip offs of john woo movies. i don't fault him though, and the only movie i didn't like that he had something to do with was "from dusk til dawn". it does crack me up that he is way far up uma thurman's ass though.

The last reel of "Reservoir Dogs" is interchangable with the last reel of Ringo Lam's "City on Fire".

And that was the "Hollywood break" Lam managed to get, which lead to his foray into straight-to-video hell with Jean-Claude Van Damme.