Spotify - iTunes 'clone' with free streamin music

DigginDiggin 319 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Spotify is the truth (and it's a Swedish app) and nobody here is talking about it. Not sure if it's available worldwide yet though.b, 21b,121It's looks similar to iTunes but all the music is streamed from Spotifys servers and it works great. Right now I'm listening to a Steve Miller band record from 88, next up is a few cuts from Dusty Fingers 3 and after that a few tracks from Axelrod's first two solo lps. All music isn't on it but it will keep you busy for a few years at least.b, 21b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b,121Anyone else use it? b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/2922084416_525dcdba25_b.jpg"1b, 21 b,121Spotify/a1

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Seems to be invitation only at the moment so can't check it out but from the look of it I can't see what the benefit of this over Last FM is (especially as this appears to have adverts in it as well)?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    The adverts are short and far between and you can get rid of them if you pay a monthly fee (which I likely will). Last time I used the last.fm client it was more like Pandora, did I miss something?b,121b, 21Here's some more about spotify:b,121b, 21a href="http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/08/24/review-spotify/" target="_blank"1http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/08/24/review-spotify//a1b, 21a href="http://blogs.sun.com/plamere/entry/the_celestial_jukebox_arrives_spotify" target="_blank"1http://blogs.sun.com/plamere/entry/the_celestial_jukebox_arrives_spotify/a1

• Post up some playlists.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Booo. It's a subscription service with an aped itunes interface. GTFOHWTBS!b, 21b, 21Songbird kills this shit.b, 21b, 21http://getsongbird.com/

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    pay for software? that's crazy talk

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21pay for software? that's crazy talk b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21r.i.f.b, 21b, 21Who said that paying for software is a bad thing? I suggest you learn the difference between commercial software and pay-for subscription services. b, 21b, 21Personally, I don't mind paying for software when I repeatedly use it and it's well written. However, that's not what's going on here. The software is free as well it should be, its still in Beta. The part that kills me is that the software is nothing more than a channel to their subscription that they want you to pay for.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Bumping this. I got a few invites, and the idea of a SS collaborative playlist strikes me as good fun, if only just to see how long it takes before someone starts a "little dudes adding terds to the SS Spotify playlist" thread.

If anyone's up for it, PM me with an email addy. I think what happens is that, once you sign up, you get a bunch of invites anyway, so it could expand outwards from a few people to something pretty impressive.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's caught on bigtime amongst the people I know. The whole streaming thing is game-changing, ESPECIALLY once they figure out a way to make it mobile. I think it's a good thing, since a lot of people I know haven't paid for music in any shape or form in years. At least this is legal and musicians get some compensation.

That said - I haven't tried Last.FM but have heard good things about it.

• This is suddenly everywhere in the UK; & I can see why, it's excellent. They have been having a few issues with licensing; they recently had to clear a load of tracks off the system, but it's still great. Anyone got playlists to share?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Bumping this. I got a few invites, and the idea of a SS collaborative playlist strikes me as good fun, if only just to see how long it takes before someone starts a "little dudes adding terds to the SS Spotify playlist" thread.

If anyone's up for it, PM me with an email addy. I think what happens is that, once you sign up, you get a bunch of invites anyway, so it could expand outwards from a few people to something pretty impressive.

oooh oooh invite please?!

Spotify is the truth and will change the game.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

oooh oooh invite please?!

Spotify is the truth and will change the game.

PM your email

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You don't really need a invite, anyone can just sign up.
    Or does the invite give you advanced membership or something?

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    i reckon it's free registration in the uk, sweden, norway, finland, france and spain[/b] otherwise you need an invitation
    still have a couple left if anyone's interested

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I started a Strut playlist. (I justed picked out a few themed chunes, not too serious a selection but still trying to keep it quality)

HTTP Link = http://open.spotify.com/user/mzzt/playlist/6MHpog24RLOdIpsVnLETzI

You can add to it. Remove stuff. Lets make it good.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Reggae, Dub, Rocksteady playlist beginnings = http://open.spotify.com/user/mzzt/playlist/5M5m7WyifdUBIxTiKTrrkI

Feel free to add to it (if you know what teh fusk you are doing, otherwise chill)

*not sure about this Spotify thing yet, adverts are hella annoying. and it recognizes if you've muted your PC and pauses the add, feckers.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    it seems like it's not available at all for US users. would like to try it out though if that's not the case.

btw, just signed up for Lala and it looks awesome. All free, scans your computer, adds anything in their collection (basically the same as itunes, amazon, rhapsody, etc) to your online library automatically, then uploads to their servers anything not in their collection. you can then stream anything in your library online whenever you want, make/share playlists, even embed playlists/songs on a webpage

www.lala.com

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    How does Lala work? Can you only stream "your own" music?

And everybody, I think, can get Spotify if they pay for it. You only need invites if you want the free version which contains advertisement.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    How does Lala work? Can you only stream "your own" music?

And everybody, I think, can get Spotify if they pay for it. You only need invites if you want the free version which contains advertisement.

when i tried to sign up it said it wasn't available in my country (uhmurrica) yet...

'bout Lala - you get unlimited streams of your own collection, and you can listen to the full track of anything not in your collection once, after that you get a 30 second sample. the kicker, though, is that you can pay 10 cents[/b] to add any song to your collection. a goddamn dime. and if you really don't wanna pay it, you can just turn a song off with a few seconds left so it thinks you didn't listen to the full thing.

some shit i was just listening to:

soulstrut

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yeah, thanks for the invite. but how can I get spotify working in dumb ass behind the times America?

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    It doesn't make any sense that Spotify shouldn't work in America. Why is that? I know that in the early stages they recieved critisism because they didn't have deals with the artists/labels that were on there. But now, everytime you click on a track the artists/labels get payed. It really is the future. Especially when it will be possible to "spotify" directly from your cellphone for example.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's a rights issue, I guess.

I seem to remember there was a similar, hyped service a while back that wasn't available to Euroland, like Hulu isn't.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    From the founder, via Google Translate (late march 2009):

"
    - USA is the next big thing. We will definitely go in there, at the end of the year or next year. But it is a completely different type of market. Piracy is much less prevalent in the U.S. and there is not the same broadband as in large parts of Europe"