David Simon-related

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
So whilst lamping at a Tuscan resort last week I picked up Homicide, which I'm embarrassed to say I've not read. Made it about 100 pages in before having to return it to its rightful owner (and climb back in my Mercedes and drive back to Rome).b, 21b, 21Should I be copping all seven seasons of the show along with the book?b, 21b, 21Selfsame question applies to "The Corner".b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" /1

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Homicide started it all.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Strange. Im in rome at the moment, reading Homicide. Such a dope book.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Homicide and The Corner (the books) are both amazing. b, 21b, 21Homicide and The Corner (the television shows) are good, but don't touch the Wire.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121So whilst lamping at a Tuscan resort last week I picked up Homicide, which I'm embarrassed to say I've not read. Made it about 100 pages in before having to return it to its rightful owner (and climb back in my Mercedes and drive back to Rome).b, 21b, 21Should I be copping all seven seasons of the show along with the book?b, 21b, 21Selfsame question applies to "The Corner".b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I still need to read "Homicide" but I'll definitely ride for "The Corner." I thought it worked on several different levels: journalistically, sociologically, and just as an interweaving of different human portraits and narratives.

I posted this in the last Homicide-reated thread that came up, but in addition to reading the Simon books, I think Wire fans would enjoy some Baltimore crime/streets-related docs like Omar+Pete and Girlhood.

• Just to be clear, I'm certainly buying the books; I'm just not sure if I want to invest in the 7-season DVD package (with respect to Homicide) if it's not really necessary.b,121b, 21Full disclosure, I've watched every ep of The Wire 2-3 times and am not expecting much to live up to its standard... but I'm very excited to read Homicide and if the show is good I'd be game to invest the time to watch it.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Mr. Paycheck, PLEASE do.b, 21It's such an amazing show, one I've watched 3-4 times in completion. b, 21Much better character development than on the Wire, the writing is better IMO and Andre Braugher is such a pleasure to watch act. b, 21It might get a little soft in the final season, but other than that, it cannot be fusked with.b, 21If you don't like it, I'll reimburse you.

I liked Homicide (tv) at the time, but my gf was rewatching Seasons 1+2 recently and stopped because it felt too formulaic and dated. based on the eps I saw, I'd have to agree.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The Corner miniseries is worth at least a rental, although I didn't bother to purchase it. It's pretty trippy at the end of the series when they bring out the real people from the Corner and you realize that actors are just like prettier versions of real people. You can cake Khandi Alexander in junkie makeup, but she's still Khandi Alexander. It will make you appreciate the cameos the people from the Corner make on The Wire, for example DeAndre McCullough as Lamar ("Your homophobia is visceral")

I thought "Homicide" was good but at the end, as a police procedural, it wasn't as rich as "The Shield" nor as narratively self-contained as "Law and Order." I respect the show but never loved it and stopped watching after two seasons.

• so it sounds like maybe I should experiment with the first couple seasons and then take it from there. Works for me.b, 21b, 21Thanks, soulstut!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    homocide is worth netflixing, but i wouldn't buy itb, 21b, 21i would buy the corner cos its probably a lot cheaper but i don't think i ever want to watch that shit again cos it's f*cking depressing

• I ride for Homicide for seasons 1-3. Look at this cast.b,121b, 21 * Daniel Baldwin as Det. Beau Felton (seasons 1???3)b, 21 * Ned Beatty as Det. Stanley Bolander (seasons 1???3)b, 21 * Richard Belzer as Det. John Munchb, 21 * Andre Braugher as Det. Frank Pembleton (seasons 1???6)b, 21 * Clark Johnson as Det. Meldrick Lewisb, 21 * Yaphet Kotto as Lt. Al Giardellob, 21 * Melissa Leo as Det. Kay Howard (seasons 1???5)b, 21 * Jon Polito as Det. Steve Crosetti (seasons 1???2)b, 21 * Kyle Secor as Det. Tim Baylissb, 21b, 21There was not a weak link in the bunch. The writing was awesome and the source material, David Simon's book was very present. The camera work was way different than I had seen. The sound track was damn good (this was a show that exposed me to some great music).b,121b, 21NBC didn't like the downer this series was so they made some changes...b,121b, 21When Ned Beatty and Daniel Baldwin didn't come back for season 4 the show lost a step. The writing was definitely weaker.b,121b, 21In season 5 Jon "Mumbles" Seda joined the cast and it was a death spiral from there. Jon Seda = Satan.b, 21b, 21I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and I highly recommend them. The rest, if you have to watch them, netflix.b, 21b, 21Post Script. Clark Johnson directed a great little HBO film, a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255851/" target="_blank"1Boycott/a1 staring one of my favorite actors Jeffrey Wright. Clark was definitely influenced by the film style of Homicide.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121homocide is worth netflixing, but i wouldn't buy itb,121b, 21i would buy the corner cos its probably a lot cheaper but i don't think i ever want to watch that shit again cos it's f*cking depressing b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I tried to watch "The Corner" but having read the book, I preferred the book (the series mirrors much of the book).

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121So whilst lamping at a Tuscan resort last week I picked up Homicide, which I'm embarrassed to say I've not read. Made it about 100 pages in before having to return it to its rightful owner (and climb back in my Mercedes and drive back to Rome).b,121b, 21Should I be copping all seven seasons of the show along with the book?b, 21b, 21Selfsame question applies to "The Corner".b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" /1 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21poast of the week. so many locations.b, 21b, 21crayfay

• indyindy 58 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Strange. Im in rome at the moment, reading Homicide. Such a dope book. b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21europe's kinda late on the simon ish !b, 21b, 21im really into the homicide book right now. b,121b, 21Liked the series, but you can definitely see where they dumbed it down. b, 21b, 21b, 21I have to check out Gen:Kill soon.b, 21b, 21b, 21indy

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Andre Braugher is such a pleasure to watch act. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1b,121b, 21Braugher is absolutely hypnotising in this. To be honest I haven't gone back and rewatched it since it was on so a lot of the things that seemed ground breaking at the time (the flawed characters, lack of happy resolutions, more realistic dialogue etc) may now seem run of the mill but it certainly shat all over NYPD Blue back in the day IMO at least.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    homicide is nice, but i just catch the reruns on sleuth and wgn. i dunno if its worth investing the dvds. the whole drama with junior bunk is definitely stepping towards the wire tho.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Corner miniseries is worth at least a rental, although I didn't bother to purchase it. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I thought "Homicide" was good but at the end, as a police procedural, it wasn't as rich as "The Shield" nor as narratively self-contained as "Law and Order." I respect the show but never loved it and stopped watching after two seasons. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I thought "Homicide" was good but at the end, as a police procedural, it wasn't as rich as "The Shield" nor as narratively self-contained as "Law and Order." I respect the show but never loved it and stopped watching after two seasons. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21I should add too: I think if you're really into police procedurals, "Homicide" is some definitely next level shit but I was never that gassed on the genre. The ones I've liked best - The Shield and The Wire - have such a richer universe whereas, what struck me about "Homicide" is how everything really takes place in the office. I think that insular world is partly what makes the show so interesting for some folks and it definitely helps bring out some excellent acting BUT I just couldn't get that invested in it for similar reasons.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Shield and The Wire - have such a richer universe whereas, what struck me about "Homicide" is how everything really takes place in the office. I think that insular world is partly what makes the show so interesting for some folks and it definitely helps bring out some excellent acting BUT I just couldn't get that invested in it for similar reasons. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it... though I only watched the first season. I liked it but it didn't really leave me jonesing for more. Does it pick up much momentum in the further seasons?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I thought "Homicide" was good but at the end, as a police procedural, it wasn't as rich as "The Shield" nor as narratively self-contained as "Law and Order." I respect the show but never loved it and stopped watching after two seasons. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21I should add too: I think if you're really into police procedurals, "Homicide" is some definitely next level shit but I was never that gassed on the genre. The ones I've liked best - The Shield and The Wire - have such a richer universe whereas, what struck me about "Homicide" is how everything really takes place in the office. I think that insular world is partly what makes the show so interesting for some folks and it definitely helps bring out some excellent acting BUT I just couldn't get that invested in it for similar reasons. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21I'll add that I enjoy Law and Order (both the OG and SVU) are more than I do Homicide. Homicide may have had more creative writing but the "look and feel" of it was annoying to me. The L&Os are more straight forward visually and as a result they feel less dated. I watch Homicide and I think "oh, a mid-90's police drama." Like "New York Undercover" and others, it feels dated.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Steven Colbert taunts David Simon with his Emmy (and gets in a few more zingers):b,121b,121embed FlashVars='videoId=189702' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm just not sure if I want to invest in the 7-season DVD package (with respect to Homicide) if it's not really necessary.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I have all 7 seasons as DVD box sets and can lend them to you (as soon as I figured out where they are).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Homicide use to be my favorite TV show. It was much more intellectual and character based then a lot of other cop shows at the time IMO. The best parts were when they arrested someone and put them in the box for interrogation. Truly classic scenes. Later on they expanded and even got a little artsy with an episode that was an ode to Edgar Allen Poe. I have no idea whether they have aged well becuse haven't seen the show in years, but when it was on, it was a great great piece of TV.