Roberta Flack: Gone Away Appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
img src=http://ponytone.com/Images/flack.jpg1b,121object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5642057-c38" 21embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5642057-c38" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121What is more epic than this? b,121b,121Kills me I>every time[/i].

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    None. None more epic. I miss tracks like this where the build up is as slow, measured, and rewarding as the pay off at the finale. This song is always linked in my mind garden to Charles Stepney - seems like something Minnie could have released on Come To My Garden or on a late Rotary album.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    As much as I love this track, 'Do What You Gotta Do' is, to me, the most epic track on that LP.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Do What You Gotta Do is undeniably a great song but, and this may be down to it being the version I grew up with, I've always personally preferred Simone's version.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Do What You Gotta Do is undeniably a great song but, and this may be down to it being the version I grew up with, I've always personally preferred Simone's version. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• I'd never heard that before. The second half of the tune sounds like 'Hey Joe'.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    yes that is the jawn. Is it just me dub, but you kind of like classic soul music. I kid. I have been improving my ipod for years from your site and actually need to buy some of those mixes. This is definitely a lost gem.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'd never heard that before. The second half of the tune sounds like 'What You Know About That'. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'd never heard that before. The second half of the tune sounds like 'What You Know About That'. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Bwahahahaha.b,121b,121For real though - this is one of the few cases where an artist can improve on an Impressions song. The original of this is good, no question, but Flack just blows this out of the fusking water.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And First Take is equally great lp.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And First Take is equally great lp. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121What he said x10. This record is so criminally underrated it hurts. My favorite DJing moment ever happened when I was played "Hey, that's no way to day goodbye" in a totally dead club one night. Out of frustration at not being able to get anyone to dance, I put the song on at the end of my set. Sort of like a "F*ck you, you don't wanna dance? I'll take this shit into the basement" kinda thing. The 15 people there just sat back and took it all in, not really talking. It was like group meditation. When the song ended a partner of mine came on with something hard and everyone just jumped out of their seats to get down. Shit rocked for the rest of the night.b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If this is going to be a Roberta Flack appreciation thread - I am in. Kinda like Aretha - I don't care how many times I've heard her hits - I never tire of her voice; her timbre and the emotion she conveys without dramatics.b,121b,121Will Compared To What ever lose its power? No.b,121b,121Go Up Moses is one my absolute favourite songs, as is Be Real Black For Me. Though, I don't play the latter one out. Yes, it is a love song with universal sentiments and longings...what is more beautiful than to say to your lover be who you are because the real you is the person I love, what makes me whole? But it is also an intimacy that is exclusive. b,121b,121And recently, it was Man who reminded me how incredible her voice is when he mentioned watching First Time Ever I Saw Your Face on YouTube repeatedly (sorry I can't insert). I really shouldn't take it for granted.b,121b,121This is the first line of a review of Quiet Fire from when it first came out and I think it is a perfect way to describe the way her music can make me feel.b,121b,121A romantic, it is said, is someone who is often homesick for places he has never been.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121If this is going to be a Roberta Flack appreciation thread - I am in. Kinda like Aretha - I don't care how many times I've heard her hits - I never tire of her voice; her timbre and the emotion she conveys without dramatics.b,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Agreed, we listen to the "old school" station here at work, 8 hours a day. I always stop what I'm doing when they play Killing Me Softly. Always sounds fresh to me.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Will Compared To What ever lose its power? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121Will Compared To What ever lose its power? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121Will Compared To What ever lose its power? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'd never heard that before. The second half of the tune sounds like 'Hey Joe'. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's not surprising - there's quite a few songs that all use the same chord progression ("Hey Joe" supposedly took its own cue from earlier songs as well).