stove strut

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
gotta buy a stove for the crib and im getting conflicting messages from the people.b,121b,121on one side is the dual fuel...gas range & electric stove. has chef proponents due to even, radiant heat. including my chef of a dad, who is adamantly opposed to gas ovens.b,121b,121on the other side are the gas gas heads. they site less energy use of gas oven and ask what the F*ck i need even baking for since i suck at it.b,121b,121consumer reports says there is hardly a difference in function, just preference.b,121b,121what sayeth thou, soulstrut?b,121(im pretty solid with my fridge research, so thats covered)

Comments

• all I know is electric burners suck. Not terrible, still works, but I hate them.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121all I know is electric burners suck. Not terrible, still works, but I hate them. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121I have been scanning craigslist for a while now hoping to spot a vintage gas stove for under $500. We have an electric range now and it bums me out when I cook. you just have so much more control over the heat with gas.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    img src="http://blog.wfmu.org/photos/uncategorized/012.jpg"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121Unfortunately, I have an electric stove too. About the only thing good about it is the extra *counter* surface when I am not using the stove.

• theres some new shit thats pretty crazy looking: induction method...range top that cooks by electro magnetic waves and uses half the energy that coils use. 90% energy is used as opposed to gas which loses 50% in the heating process. the counter stays relatively cool as well. pricey and sounds kinda buck rogers...b,121b,121im more interested in the choice for ovens...lectric or gasb,121definitely going gas up top (product placement influence, of course)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah, I daydream about some of the high tech hardware, reading some of these cooking magazines (Food & Wine subscriber-R): b,121b,121--Sub-Zero fridge that looks like the cabinetsb,121--Economical, drawer-based dishwasherb,121--Toaster that toasts up to four slicesb,121b,121I am beyond priced out of most of that stuff. Best thing I can do is pimp my pots and pans.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121theres some new shit thats pretty crazy looking: induction method...range top that cooks by electro magnetic waves and uses half the energy that coils use. 90% energy is used as opposed to gas which loses 50% in the heating process. the counter stays relatively cool as well. pricey and sounds kinda buck rogers...b,121b,121im more interested in the choice for ovens...lectric or gasb,121definitely going gas up top (product placement influence, of course) b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I have induction hobs, the people we bought our house off had fitted them already. They're actually pretty decent with an extremely quick heat up time and very easy to adjust the temperature on as well. The only downside is that you have to buy expensive induction friendly pans as run of the mill pans won't cook on it (having just moved in and less than well organised we ended up using the only thing that would work on them - the wok - for frying/boiling/steaming etc). Although they're not as good as gas they are definitely a big step up from coils.b,121b,121Oven wise, with the fan ovens around these days I haven't really seen any decent argument for why you should go with gas instead.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121all I know is electric burners suck. Not terrible, still works, but I hate them. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Yes, give me a crappy gas stove over an expensive electric one any day.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yeah, I daydream about some of the high tech hardwareb,121b,121b,121--Toaster that toasts up to four slicesb,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ummm, I'm pretty sure you can find one of those at goodwill.

• Personally I love cookin' with gas and I miss my gas stove somethin' fierce. b,121b,121However, unless the state of the art for gas ovens has changed in the last 5 years, get the gas top/electric oven combo. b,121b,121I had a gas/gas in my last apartment before my wife and I bought our house and the oven was difficult to cook with. The turkey for thanksgiving was a disaster.b,121b,121Right now we are rockin' the glass top electric/electric (we couldn't afford to remodel the kitchen at the time we moved in, recovering the original red oak wood floors and bathroom were more important) and the glass tops bring the heat very quick and have good control. But I still miss my gas top.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've always used gas burners. I had to move into a place recently with an electric range. I still don't like it, but I gotta say, it boils water in half the time.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121on the other side are the gas gas heads. they site less energy use of gas oven and ask what the F*ck i need even baking for since i suck at it.b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I suck at baking too but I use the oven to roast things a lot, which you may want to do, it's also good for heating stuff up, but definitely for roasting. Vegetables mostly and the occasional meat for having a lot of people over to the crib. So don't go without an oven. Cosign on electric burners sucking for cooking, and electrical new shit may have the convection function which cooks food more evenly and takes less time to heat up.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yeah, I daydream about some of the high tech hardwareb,121b,121b,121--Toaster that toasts up to four slicesb,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ummm, I'm pretty sure you can find one of those at goodwill. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Lol, that's what I was thinking. On the strength though, gas is the way to go. Gas cooks hotter, and heats up quicker, and there are less parts top maintain. The only drawback is you can't leave your pots stewing while you go out to the store for fear of burned downedness. b,121b,121The glass top induction joints are fresh, but can you imagine how expensive it is going to be if something malfunctions? There's probably one technician on each coast for those things. They're too new, and thus are only for multi million dollar ballers who don't scoff at the potential for thousand plus repair bills.b,121b,121And cofucking sine on the suckness of electric stoves. Those stupid f*cking coils never rest evenly, so it makes it impossible to have your pots and pans sit flat, which leads to very uneven cooking.

• just to clarify...b,121my main question was with gas oven vs. lectric oven.b,121stove top gotta be gas, no questionb,121b, 21GO PHILS!!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121just to clarify...b,121 img src="http://www.keukens.be/images/imagestore/AGA_3 Oven_Chocolate_kleur.jpg"1b,121 , no questionb,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121just to clarify...b,121 img src="http://www.keukens.be/images/imagestore/AGA_3 Oven_Chocolate_kleur.jpg"1b,121 , no questionb,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Aga is the shit. My mom runs this. Killer stuff.b, 21b, 21b, 21b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    a href="http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/" target="_blank"1http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl//a1b,121b,121this is the strut of appliances. Lots of stove talk. If I were to buy one today, I would cop me a Capital. Bluestar gets a lot of props too but they're known to have problems w/ servicing. Supposedly it has been improved.b,121b, 21induction looks nice and heats up superfast, but I personally like to control heat by removing the pan from the fire for a few seconds and putting it on. A lot of induction cooktops will shut off once it senses the pan is removed. If you boil a lot of water for pasta or need precise simmering control for braising and such, it is a good option.b,121b, 21Bluestar has the highest btu's of any unit on the market for regular burners (22,000). Capital makes a cooktop w/ a built in wok burner that hits 30,000 btu's.b,121b, 21Probably not necessary for the avg cook, but btu's are your best friend if you plan on woking. Finally, this shit is NOT CHEAP.b,121b,121a href="http://www.prizer-painter.com/products.html" target="_blank"1http://www.prizer-painter.com/products.html/a1b,121b,121a href="http://www.capital-cooking.com/products.htm" target="_blank"1http://www.capital-cooking.com/products.htm/a1

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    My parents have an induction range that I've used extensively. Like Aser said, it heats up ridiculously fast and has incredibly precise control. In over two years (and one move), it hasn't required any service. Because it's basically a sheet of glass, it cleans up really easily. For that reason alone I prefer it to gas.b, 21b, 21The downsides are twofold: You need compatible pans (cast iron is fine and cheap) and the model I've used (unfortunately named 'diva') turns off if it gets to wet. Spill water on the thing and if it touches too much of any edge, the power cuts. You just wipe the water up and it's back on in seconds, but still, it's a nuisance.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121My parents have an induction range that I've used extensively.b, 21The downsides are twofold: You need compatible pansb, 21b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21No wok action = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" /1

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    As per my post above - the wok was the only one of our existing pans that worked when we got our induction hobs. The most versatile of all the cooking appliances.