NZ peeps...Tall Dwarfs apreciation thread

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I was looking for something in the attic and came across their CD "3 EPs"..I havent listened to this in well over a dozen years or more...holy crap, top shelf pop! psychedelic, hooky, inventive...I knew I was going to still enjoy it when I put it on and 30 seconds into it seemed like I had last listened to it yesterday...thats always a good sign of rediscovering something, when it is like you never stopped listening to it in the first place..

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Great band, I ride. Chris Knox is a funny dude too. I remember he turned up to a Howe Gelb concert here a few years back wearing a black singlet, leopard or tiger print tights & gnome/jester boots.

He also has the dubious distinction of calling Henry Rollins some name & then getting knocked out by him in the mensroom of a prominent NZ music festival.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    love this band, really ahead of their time. next to the clean probably the best flying nun band in my book. they were really great at shifting through lots of different approaches and having them all jell in the context of an album, plus they used "lo-fi" recording to construct their weird little musical worlds in a way that hadn't really been done before. also notable for being the band that neutral milk hotel stole their entire sound from, even though it's just something that the dwarfs briefly hit on. their influence on the 90s lo-fi pop (sebadoh, pavement, guided by voices, etc.) is probably greater than most people would admit.b,121b,121weeville and hello cruel world (which has all their early stuff) are essential. cool video for their first single from 1981:b,121b,121embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1b,121b,121on a related NZ note, caught the dead c in Seattle earlier this week and the KILLED it.

• That whole NZ scene is great. I still listen to the Tall Dwarfs, The Bats, Alastair Galbraith and especially i1Harsh 70s Reality[/i] regularly. The Dead C definitely wreck shop every time.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i never rode. No. thats wrong, i was never aware. b,121b,121city kid with my hiphop blinders on. Only recently have i been delving into Flying Nun's catalog, call it homesickness, call it filling in the gaps...b,121b,121i was listening to Straightjacket Fits all last week: was watching an outrageous fortune DVD and heard this:b,121b,121 b,121b,121and a bunch more that i cant remember.b,121b,121damn i miss home.

Tiki has been killing it lately. That Always On My Mind song was huge!

what else is good in godzone?

The new Nesian Mystic video kinda brings back memories of school socialsb,121 b,121b,121There's a new John Rowles out too.....

that Opensouls video is class. (had to click-through tp youtube to get the name).b,121b,121dont think much of cut off your hands though.b,121b,121check out the Manfred Manslaughter link in my post above, on ly the myspace page now, but they are starting to get some attention.b,121b,121Whats the latest with real groovy?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Whats the latest with real groovy? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121They're putting on a brave face, here's the email they sent out last week.b,121b,121You may be aware that Real Groovy is in receivership. We thought that we should let you know what this may mean to you.b,121 b,121WEBSITEb,121The Real Groovy website is still operating - the only difference is that we cannot issue or redeem online vouchers at the moment. As always, if you place an order on the website, your credit card IS NOT CHARGED until the goods are sent, so there is no risk to you.b,121 b,121REAL GROOVY STORES b,121All Real Groovy stores are still open. However, we are not purchasing or trading your unwanted items at the moment and we are not issuing vouchers or credit notes. We are still taking special orders and our bins are full of bargains - we encourage you to keep providing your valuable support.b,121 b,121REAL GROOVY CLUB b,121The Real Groovy Club is still operating - you will continue to receive points and bonuses, when they are due.b,121 b,121INSURANCE CUSTOMERS b,121If you have an insurance claim to be fulfilled by Real Groovy, it has been temporarily put on hold. We ask you to be patient, and we will advise you by email once we have resolved the situation.b,121 b,121THE FUTURE b,121We are committed to keeping Real Groovy going and are working hard to ensure that this happens. We hope to be able to start accepting Real Groovy vouchers and credit notes again and, while we cannot make any promises, we recommend that you keep them safe until you hear from us.b,121 b,121YOUR SUPPORT b,121We have been overwhelmed by the support that we have received from a lot of our customers, and our staff are really grateful for the patience, understanding and courtesy that has been shown to them in this difficult time. We're all hoping for a really positive outcome and for Real Groovy to continue well into the future.b,121 b,121Thank you b,121b,121The Real Groovy Team

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Whats the latest with real groovy? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121D**** - best of the new-breed Groovy workers IMO - told me they're expecting to trade up until Xmas eve and then AK store will close. Though there is a buyer floating around for three of the stores. I'm guessing all except the Queen St branch - rent must be a killer there and the other locations aren't getting killed by JB HiFi.b,121b,121Also on the gnoo Koiwoi moosick tip - b,121b,121The Electric Wire Hustle - got a great singer, Mara TK, who also features a great little 'private press' 12 called Round At Bays - sounds a bit like Mayfeild over a Flying Lotus production. Try the Conch Records website, might be a ble to grab it off there.b,121b,121Ladi6 - her album is dropping end of the month (www.nz.youtube.com/watch?v=iKuUMPGwhuM)

Scott are you heading to the Joe Lovano, Roy Ayers or Charlie Musselwhite concerts this weekend? I'm having trouble making up my mind over which ones to check out. What about Stevie Wonder next week??

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Scott are you heading to ... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121None. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121I'll be at a friends bday on thursday night so I miss Lovano & co.... which I can't frikin beleive as he's pretty much the mutt's nuts.... def the new Heavyweight Don of Tenor Saxophone - you should go and then tell me all about it. Then I'll be in CHCH when Ayers plays.b,121b,121I'll be on Waiheke Island when Stevie is in town --- I will DEF come back to town and be attending that one.b,121b,121Back on the NZ Music tip... anyone into the Flying Nun Power Pop vibe should also check out The Mint Chicks - there tune If My Arm Was Mic Stand is brilliant and they are f*cking great live too.

You meant Friday not Thursday right? That's when Lovano is. I'm gonna go home & listen to a few of his CDs to see if I really want to be broke for a week by going to it. I just got a ticket for Roy Ayers though, looking forward to that. Trying to decide on whether I want to go to Stevie & be super-duper broke...b,121b,121Also, the Mint Chicks definitely have their moments.