the new jazzanova album

2»

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121beatnicholas might tell us if there are still things in london b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121hmmm difficult to summarize. in the tradition that many fondly remember, possibly not. Gilles has started doing monday nights at bar rhumba again, music policy booking big names in hip electro bashment, dubstep, his own label, and a few soulful headliners. Benji B does gramaphone once a month, typical guests Flying Lotus, Hudson Mohawke, Dam Funk and Morgan Zarate, so very much neo-beats scene, bit of detroit house and hip hop (Rick Wilhite and JRocc both set to appear in future sessions.) b,121b,121CoOp was very much the soulful mecca for many years - it's disbanded in its former state and now the only place that really does the true, soulful jazz style is UpRock at Mau Maus, where a fiver pays for Kaidi Tatham doing a virtuoso performance of your dreams. So the bottom line - the real shit is now officially hard to find. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i still have to hear somebody that comes close to dilla. some nice attempts, butb,121loose snares and no-quantize are getting boring already again. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121the dilla thing is a bit of a red herring - put it this way, i listened to Domu "Up and Down" the other day and the slow tracks on there preempted this whole thing. The whole scene goes up and down in tempo every ten years - remember mowax? there will be a backlash and it will all go dnb tempo next year.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    i agree to all of the thing said above. The dead of the nu jazz/fusion thing was marked by the end of Goya Distribution and Soulseduction, imho. b,121There are really no new good attempts in creating that sound. My dj buddy and Ib,121are always checking for new releases but somehow it becomes very frustrating tob,121check new releases and having nothing more than empty hands after a few hours.b,121I find myself buying a lot more disco re-edits, funky breaks (most of them are awful as well), reggae, soulful drum & bass, old school rap and old funk & soul 45's. Only a little bit of house music, though.b,121But unfortunatly it's a pain in the ass to combine such a variety in a dj-set consistently.b,121b,121D, i don't know if you are already aware of it, but there is still a jazz based clubnight (in the broadest sense) left in munich. Called "Jazz & Milk Breaks" organized by DJ Dusty of Jazz & Milk Records. They do a pretty good job and fly in a lot of high profile guest DJ's (Nickodemus, Zero DB, Spiritual South etc.) Worth checking out.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121D, i don't know if you are already aware of it, but there is still a jazz based clubnight (in the broadest sense) left in munich. Called "Jazz & Milk Breaks" organized by DJ Dusty of Jazz & Milk Records. They do a pretty good job and fly in a lot of high profile guest DJ's (Nickodemus, Zero DB, Spiritual South etc.) Worth checking out. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121didnt know that, thanks for the heads up. anyway, these days i m more interested in live (jazz) shows or dj`s that really differ from anybody, like theo parrish or harvey.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i agree to all of the thing said above. The dead of the nu jazz/fusion thing was marked by the end of Goya Distribution and Soulseduction, imho. b,121There are really no new good attempts in creating that sound. My dj buddy and Ib,121are always checking for new releases but somehow it becomes very frustrating tob,121check new releases and having nothing more than empty hands after a few hours.b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121you hit the nail more or less on the head. where did the quality offbeat releases come from? Generally speaking, the sources you mentioned, as well as Timewarp which collapsed shortly after Goya did. Whose left? Groove Distribution in germany, Rush Hour in holland.. Groove Distribution in chicago.. Kudos in london. Really the network that used to exist for offbeat / unusual producers to release records is no more. Walkin into any of those today with a p and d pitch, you'd be lucky if they didn't laugh at you - it has to be pretty solid to get out there these days, not like before when Goya put everything out, let the audience work out what bit of it they liked.b,121b,121Goya was a loss on another level as well - it was a hub of activity, Saga Centre on Kensal road was always filled with all the luminaries of the "scene" using the studios in the basement, visiting the labels on the top floor and swopping promos in the record room, furthering and fostering collaborations. The loss of that was much more of a blow to the whole thing.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Downloaded it because i will buy it by default, only heard one of the tracks with Phonte. Will listen to it later today.

• I'm friendly with 4 of the 7-8 members of jazzanova and I can honestly say their knowledge,respect and Love of Black Music is beyond deep.Not to mention their record collections would son 9 out 10 people on this board.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm friendly with 4 of the 7-8 members of jazzanova and I can honestly say their knowledge,respect and Love of Black Music is beyond deep.Not to mention their record collections would son 9 out 10 people on this board. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Phonte had said that (on another board) when he was there to visit them, which is what lead to their collaborations.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Black Music b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121!!!!!!!!!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm friendly with 4 of the 7-8 members of jazzanova and I can honestly say their knowledge,respect and Love of Black Music is beyond deep.Not to mention their record collections would son 9 out 10 people on this board. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i can cosine on that. anybody claiming that white people can just come up with cheap ripoffs of black music should ask himself why legends like terry callier, doug hammond, andy bey, dwele, flora purim or airto are/were working with them.

• /object1

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've only heard Let Me Show Ya so far, and I've no idea if it's representative of the rest of the record. Whilst I think it's OK, I have to say that it really isn't all that different from the kind of pop/soul throwback stuff that UK r&b artists have been padding their albums out with for a while now. It's kind of over-written too. On the basis of this and one or two of the comments on this thread, it sounds to me as if this album might be another exercise in meticulously recreated retro, which is all well and good, so long as they don't forget about the songs. Given how poorly-received a lot of similar things have been on here, it's interesting to note the kind of artists who get a pass when they take a similar route, not to mention the reasons why they do.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The mixing on this record is incredible.

• b, 21b, 21Yeah, the new album is fantastic but I just can't listen to track 4. Doesn't fit on the album whatsoever, guy's voice is really irksome too

• Quote:h, 21b, 21 = b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21???b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21the album is nice! b, 21playing it almost every day since i got it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I've only heard Let Me Show Ya so far, and I've no idea if it's representative of the rest of the record. Whilst I think it's OK, I have to say that it really isn't all that different from the kind of pop/soul throwback stuff that UK r&b artists have been padding their albums out with for a while now. It's kind of over-written too. On the basis of this and one or two of the comments on this thread, it sounds to me as if this album might be another exercise in meticulously recreated retro, which is all well and good, so long as they don't forget about the songs. Given how poorly-received a lot of similar things have been on here, it's interesting to note the kind of artists who get a pass when they take a similar route, not to mention the reasons why they do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Still haven't gotten around to checking the album out, but I'm kind of getting the same feeling as you. I've only heard "Let Me Show Ya" too, and while it sounds good, it's also a little nondescript. I hear you on the "over-written" statement, this was one of my gripes with the latest 4Hero album as well.b, 21But I hope I'm wrong. Waiting for my wife to get the CD so I can give it a listen.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21recently there's been a bit of an ideological split, many have defected to the whole disco / slow disco / dark housey ketadisco movement, which is definitely big in selling terms and in party size terms. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21is that really getting that big? or are you just talking about doods spinning some hercules and love affair, hot chip and some shitty justice records?b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21meanwhile many are now in the electronica/beats/postdillahiphop thing which is the soulful equivalent of the dubstep scene, in that it's a young scene and the music is similarly bass heavy but with a hip hop bounce.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21seems like most most of the "blazing downtempo, nu jazz headz" i know of have gravitated more towards the heinous "street bass" mashup of bmore house, crap electro, and attempts to out slack lil wayne.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21The mixing on this record is incredible. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Honestly. Go listen to the record. It's got skips and some cheesy lyrics and other imperfections, but it's mostly great music. The arrangements are incredibly dynamic.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The first track is cool. Wouldn't sound too out of place on a justin timberlake album. b, 21b, 21The seventh track is cool. b, 21b, 21The Azymuth track is aaight.b, 21b, 21The rest of this is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...b, 21b, 21- spidey

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yes, really like that track.. nice production dope instrumentation great vocals good song... I raerly buy new wax so where's a easy way to cop this 12' at ????

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there's a remix contest for this single, they've made each individual track available for download.b, 21b, 21http://www.jazzecho.de/_jazzanova/remixcontest/?l=en/a1b, 21b, 21love love love this album, masters of many styles many styles.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Fantastic album.b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" /1

• Putting this up in the producers forum too where it probably belongs, but thought the Jazzanova heads might appreciate this... my reworked versions of "I Can See."b, 21b, 21Jazzanova - I Can See - Kaushik M. Editb, 21a href="http://tinyurl.com/66kxrs" target="_blank"1http://tinyurl.com/66kxrs/a1b, 21 b, 21Jazzanova - I Can See - Kaushik M. Instrumental b, 21a href="http://tinyurl.com/5geue8" target="_blank"1http://tinyurl.com/5geue8/a1