Re-Ish's that KILL the Original.

13»

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121.b,121b,121also, even if you don't have any good programs/hardware with equalizers and compressors, anyone with even a basic macbook can simply rip the o.g. into garageband, use the "visual eq", experiment with the compressors, and peak limiter and get that shit sounding tight themselves, if you want to play it out.b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I guess that only counts if you use Microwave

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Word.b,121b,121Add to that list Black Moon's Enta Da Stage. 'Twas the worst singe vinyl album i ever purchased. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Not reissue debate related, but I live in hope that they will eventually release a remastered version of this LP. Anyone else ever think about this? On some Dark side of the moon 25th aniversary remastered isht what late 80s/early 90s hip hop joints deserve to be remastered. b,121b,121As far as reissues - I love being able to hear records I can't find/afford! However I honestly only own a handful of vinyl reissues, not an elitist thing but I just don't care for them.. I prefer to get stuff I can't find the og for on CD or mp3. I dunno to me it just seems like too many reissues dilute your vinyl collection, plus the liner notes and extra tracks that often accompany CD reissues make them a more attractive option than a vinyl reissue. b,121b,121

• Isn't the problem with the Enta da Stage that the beats were done on a 4-track cassette?b,121b,121Dress

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Sometimes you need a re-ish just to know what all the fuss is about. Case in point... is any Jazz Funk album worth this much?b,121b,121Ricardo Marrero....WTF?/a1b,121b,121b,121For one thing I'm pretty sure the dope song Babalonia can be scooped on 45 for alot less...like 50$. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121check the buyer.. spent almost 3000?? on S.O.U.L Expedition a month before, and some 700$ items in between. premier anyone?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Ditto for the Geraldo Pino represses. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121While Soundway releases always sound great. The OG sound quality of "let's have a party" should be very hard if not impossible to top, I haven't made a one-on-one comparison yet but the reissue could never "KILL" the original.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121check the buyer.. spent almost 3000?? on S.O.U.L Expedition a month before, and some 700$ items in between. premier anyone? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121nah that's just reynaldo's other account for his cheap record buys

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    though I recognize the fetish aspect, I don't understand how reissues that sound better don't replace the originals as more sought after objects.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121though I recognize the fetish aspect, I don't understand how reissues that sound better don't replace the originals as more sought after objects. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121well, the originals are scarce and the re-issues aren't. In terms of sales numbers, of course more re-issues get sold than originals but the re-issues are not sought after because you don't have to search them, they're just there I guess...b,121b,121When I was still spinning Funk 45s, I promoted my night as a "original 45s only" thang but still bought most of the re-issues coming out of stuff I had the OG. Mostly because I always enjoyed going to the park on a summer day with some booze, a portable and a case of 45s. I compare the sound quality between OG and re-issue at home on various occasions and even the odd OG recordings that required a bit of fiddling with the EQ when spinning them at the club still sounded more dynamic and just better than the re-issues. I ended up taking all my re-issue 45s down to Africa with me (left my OGs in storage in Berlin for obvious reasons) and played them out at my club nights in Conakry. Cheaper stuff, I took with me and somehow I always enjoyed the sound of the OGs better than the re-issues.b,121b,121But:b,121After having found most OG Fela records, I have to say though that the Barclay re-issues that came out in those box sets some 8 years or so ago in some cases sound much better than the OGs. This is pretty much the only occasion where I really heard a vast positive difference on the re-issue. Barclay must have re-mastered from the original tapes and done an extraordinary job at it. The sound is super full and very bass heavy, still clear and brilliant for maximum impact in the club. Too bad they did such a poor job with the covers, they're all blurry and even though African covers are almost always printed on low quality, thin cardboerd stock, the OGs look 100x better than the re-issue.b,121b,121In the end, the old, tired argument of spinning re-issue versus OGs basically burns down to what you approach on DJing is. Most DJs spinning re-issues tend to have their playlist influenced by what just was re-released. Those who play out OGs only, make very careful decissions of what records to buy and carefully build up a set according to personal taste and to what works well at their gig and spend a great deal of thought about how a possible new record would work with the stuff they already have, at what time and with which other records it could be played out etc. I think this leads to OG-DJs spinning more individual and thought through sets. It's also a question of style and aesthetics.b,121b,121One last comment regarding the fetish aspect:b,121b,121I think the fetish aspect comes into play when talking about spinning re-issues on vinyl or on CD. Or especially re-issue 45s or CD-compilation.b,121b,121All re-issue 45s are re-mastered digitally, then the digital information is being re-translated into Analog and pressed on an Analog medium. Why? If the recording was already digitalized, you will not gain anything but rather loose something if you press it on an analog medium. If it's already digital, press it onto a digital medium. Vinyl re-issues are a real fetish. They're there for people to pretend they have something which they don't have: An analog recording of a piece of music. Vinyl re-issues are like tofu sausages.b,121Only counter argument would be that the CD is just a really unappealing format in terms of cover/visual appearance. It's just much nicer to have a record cover in your hands than a shitty, 80s-looking CD.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Pickwick said it best... it's all about the music. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121It's all about the music in its best sounding form, which is quite often not on CD or re-ish. b,121b,121h,121b,121b,121Depends on the label. Yeah, certain companies botch it up, but if you dismiss reissues altogether, you're just hard to please.