Real Groovy Records goes bust!!

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Crap, New Zealand's largest store & my local digging stronghold of the last 10 years is now in receivership. 6 weeks until they close the doors. This is going to suck for the employees (a couple of my best friends have worked there for a long time) & the general music scene here in general as Real Groovy was something of a hub for the local scene. Will my friends get new jobs in the recession? What the hell am I going to do on most Sunday mornings from now on? Where the hell am I going to buy records locally? When does the going out of business sale start? Gutted.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What, if any, are the NZ jazz/funk/soul/rock/punk raers?b,121b,121It's always sad when 'part of the landscape' record shops give up the ghost.b,121b,121Beano's in Croydon is my local example. Overpriced raer glam rock acetates and ??400 Roy Castle 45s for days.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121What, if any, are the NZ jazz/funk/soul/rock/punk raers?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121There are a smattering of NZ raers in each of those genres, unfortunately the music doesn't always match the rarity or price tag (but that's pretty true everywhere).

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121What, if any, are the NZ jazz/funk/soul/rock/punk raers?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Hi!b,121b,121img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/rolex-baxter/thunder.jpg"1b,121b,121Pulled from Real Groovy b,121b,121Terrible news Kris - I hope it finds a way to stay open b,121b,121Some more here: a href="http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10537688" target="_blank"1http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10537688

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    That looks like a nice piece. Sike?b,121b,121And how does a record store get scuppered by a forex deal?b,121b,121

Yep that QC 45 is choice. I think the Forex deal may have been a bit of "already having spent the chickens before they hatched only to have them arrive stillborn". But that's not gospel, the whole thing is pretty tightlipped re. the intricacies of it all.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    That sucks. I've spent many hours in real groovy. Is Slowboat still open in Wellington. What about Groove Merchant(Is that what they were called?) in Auckland ?

• Wow really shocked to hear this! a real shame as they had pretty much taken all the business from the independents and now they've gone as well, leaving pretty much zilch record stores selling good stuff in NZ now.b,121b,121Slowboat is still open in Wellington, one of the few independent stores left. Moonhop in Wainuiomata I think is still going. b,121b,121Hows Conch in Auckland Holmes?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Sorry to hear that Kris. I know if that Half Price across from my house went out of business, my digging game would be crushed!b,121b,121Remember though, they had to get those records from somewhere, so now is your chance to hunt them down!

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121That sucks. I've spent many hours in real groovy. Is Slowboat still open in Wellington. What about Groove Merchant(Is that what they were called?) in Auckland ?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Slowboat is still in Wellington, but their stock has been rubbish the last two times I visited. I never go to Beat Merchants because it's mainly just high price new rap, dance & reggae.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Sorry to hear that Kris. I know if that Half Price across from my house went out of business, my digging game would be crushed!
    b,121
    b,121Remember though, they had to get those records from somewhere, so now is your chance to hunt them down!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121In the last year how many Dallas diggers have moved directly across the street from the main HPB??

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121That sucks. I've spent many hours in real groovy. Is Slowboat still open in Wellington. What about Groove Merchant(Is that what they were called?) in Auckland ?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121Slowboat is still in Wellington, but their stock has been rubbish the last two times I visited. I never go to Beat Merchants because it's mainly just high price new rap, dance & reggae.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Kris.....look at the bright side...this may mean more visits to the states....looked like your 45 haul was next level and should take you a while to get through all of them.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Wow really shocked to hear this! a real shame as they had pretty much taken all the business from the independents and now they've gone as well, leaving pretty much zilch record stores selling good stuff in NZ now.
    b,121
    b,121Slowboat is still open in Wellington, one of the few independent stores left. Moonhop in Wainuiomata I think is still going.
    b,121
    b,121Hows Conch in Auckland Holmes?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Yeah, they blew everyone else out of business with their huge mid-late 90s expansion drive & now go belly up themselves, I am not impressed. Looks like the Christchurch branch may have new owners. Moonhop is still there but that guy is pretty overpriced & a fair bit of his stock is beat up. Conch is small, they can't sustain my digging addiction with reissues & new comps. Those dudes insulted my girlfriend (in her eyes, more of a misunderstanding really) & she got mad with a dude that works there, I had to diffuse the situation, awkward.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Sorry to hear that Kris. I know if that Half Price across from my house went out of business, my digging game would be crushed!
    b,121
    b,121Remember though, they had to get those records from somewhere, so now is your chance to hunt them down!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Ha ha yeah, I might have to move to Dallas & keep you & High C honest.... Unfortunately they were importing bulk from the US, I don't have the resources to do that. That & I'm feeling too old & lazy to do that hardwork stuff these days...

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121Kris.....look at the bright side...this may mean more visits to the states....looked like your 45 haul was next level and should take you a while to get through all of them.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Yeah, this is true. The money I save on local record buying each week might get me back to see you all sooner rather than later. That had definitely crossed my mind.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121In the last year how many Dallas diggers have
    paid their rent[/b] from the main HPB?? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    paid their rent[/b] from the main HPB?? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121In semi-related matters, did you get that Silver Apples T-shirt to win that girl with yet?.....

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Slowboat is still in Wellington, but their stock has been rubbish...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Don't bother with the bins Kris, talk to Jeremy and see if he'll let you have a look through the stock they're trying to flip on Gemm out back. Some OK 45s out there... too expensive, but some talking will probably get them to knock some stuff down.b,121b,121RG once had a bunch of OG soul 45s behind the counter... over priced but some gems to be had. Dylan C said it had all disappeared in the last few weeks... I'm guessing its on the 'bay already or under one of the directors beds to flip when the dust settles... keep an eye on the raer wall too, bet a fair bit of that suddenly goes walkabout too.b,121b,121That last lot of 7s they dumped were pretty average... last decent things I got from there was a 45 of The Real Thing by Tina Britt (Mint copy on London) (http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/47514/BRITT,+TINA) which is pretty 'cute' and a nice copy of Detroit Emeralds, I'm In Love With You.b,121b,121My problem is that I've got about $500 in store credit notes which are now completely worthless.b,121b,121

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Beano's in Croydon is my local example. Overpriced raer glam rock acetates and ??400 Roy Castle 45s for days.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ha. This used to be my local spot. I used to pick up serious amounts of hip hop in their dollar bins around '92. Then about 5 years later they hired a kid who was savvy with all that stuff and they ended up with not only a full hip hop section but wall-pieces too. Thet's right about when I stopped shopping there.b,121BUT... I also found huge amounts of gems there... got a Songs Of Innocence and Release Of An Oath on the same day for ??25. Of course, not long after that they wised up - I haven't been there in a long time, but I can only imagine that's it's ??400 Elvis and Sex Pistol wall-pieces or Leo Sayer dollar-bin specials now.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b1paid their rent[/b] from the main HPB??
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121In semi-related matters, did you get that Silver Apples T-shirt to win that girl with yet?.....
    b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121HA! I blew that one big time. I am definitely keeping an eye out for her when I'm there...Just hope I pull an LP with indy rock cred to break the ice again.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Slowboat is still in Wellington, but their stock has been rubbish...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Don't bother with the bins Kris, talk to Jeremy and see if he'll let you have a look through the stock they're trying to flip on Gemm out back. Some OK 45s out there... too expensive, but some talking will probably get them to knock some stuff down.
    b,121
    b,121RG once had a bunch of OG soul 45s behind the counter... over priced but some gems to be had. Dylan C said it had all disappeared in the last few weeks... I'm guessing its on the 'bay already or under one of the directors beds to flip when the dust settles... keep an eye on the raer wall too, bet a fair bit of that suddenly goes walkabout too.
    b,121
    b,121That last lot of 7s they dumped were pretty average... last decent things I got from there was a 45 of The Real Thing by Tina Britt (Mint copy on London) (http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/47514/BRITT,+TINA) which is pretty 'cute' and a nice copy of Detroit Emeralds, I'm In Love With You.
    b,121
    b,121My problem is that I've got about $500 in store credit notes which are now completely worthless.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121I pulled a bunch of nice OG pic sleeve US soul 45s from that stash behind the counter & pretty much cleaned out anything that was remotely close to a sweet deal (the best though was the stuff they missed & just put out in general stock ). They had several mint mid-high price Northern anthems that were valued way below the books. Absolutely look for all the gems to suddenly disappear. That not honoring the vouchers thing is I hope Dylan gets another job easy, top dude.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b1paid their rent[/b] from the main HPB??
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121In semi-related matters, did you get that Silver Apples T-shirt to win that girl with yet?.....
    b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121HA! I blew that one big time. I am definitely keeping an eye out for her when I'm there...Just hope I pull an LP with indy rock cred to break the ice again.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Awesome. I've got my fingers crossed for you You so should have offered the Silver Apples to her for a good mark up. Wait, you are talking about blowing the sale right??

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn.b,121b,121I worked in record stores in Auckland for most of the 90s, i have had many a good friend work at Real Groovy, many a joint was smoked there after hours, many a stoned Sunday was spent digging through the bins, chatting to staff and listening to really great f*cking music, and many a late night was had when the Real Groovy crew turned up to industry shake and fakes.b,121b,121That store is a f*cking icon and Auckland will never be the same, Christ: i remember as a schoolboy, walking up that damn hill to the old store on the corner and buying a Misfits badge because it was all i could afford, but i really just wanted the real groovy paper bag...b,121b,121Massive massive blow to the NZ music scene.b,121b,121a crying shame.b,121b,121RIP Real Groovy Records.

• What a shame! I've been down to New Zealand twice and hit Real Groovy on both visits the last one being around 2000. Found my copy of "Germ Free Adolescents" there which had eluded me for years. Store was packed and appeared to be doing well but that was ten years ago. I love their logo.b,121A funny story about Slow Boat in Wellington. I found one my rarer go-go records there which is the NME double album release of the album "Good to Go." They only pressed 3,999 of them. Someone bought it in England, took it to New Zealand and then I brought it back to DC (and got Chuck Brown to sign it).

• By way of postscript some of the stores have been 'saved' so to say, including the Auckland one. Peep the link below for some more info: b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.publicaddress.net/default,5552,feelin_groovy_happy_again.sm#post5552" target="_blank"1public address/a1

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yo Hugh whats good mang ? Its been a while. You coming to Sydney anytime soon?