*OFFICIAL STRUT NBA '08-'09 Grit Grime Edition*

Comments

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    In spite of setbacks, Oden is still on pace to be the best big man taken in the 2007 NBA draft. Competition being Al Horford or Al Thornton, maybe Spencer Hawes or Marc Gasol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In spite of setbacks, Oden is still on pace to be the best big man taken in the 2007 NBA draft.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    And he would be a much better announcer than Walton.

BAN
    Walton announces circles around everyone.

Talk of how basketball makes him feel like he's witnessing the French Revolution? Yes plaese. I could listen to that schitt all day.

If you get the time, dig through the Bill Simmons archives and listen to the last Walton interview-- they talk about everything, (incl. Walton's take on "Breaks of the Game") it's a real good listen.

And he would be a much better announcer than Walton.

BAN
    Walton announces circles around everyone.

Talk of how basketball makes him feel like he's witnessing the French Revolution? Yes plaese. I could listen to that schitt all day.

If you get the time, dig through the Bill Simmons archives and listen to the last Walton interview-- they talk about everything, (incl. Walton's take on "Breaks of the Game") it's a real good listen.

I guess some people are amused by the "Walton-isms", but to me they just sound like someone whose brain can't keep up with their mouth. I found his hyperbole embarrassing. Everything was always the most amazing play he had ever seen, or the worst play he could even imagine. And he liked to attribute ridiculous superhuman qualities to star players while denigrating the role players who dared to play with them. I read an interview with Steve Jones once where he pointed out that Walton had only ever played at a championship, superstar level and the rest of the time he was injured. Therefore he lacked empathy for the players who were grinding out the season on mediocre teams, or who were busting their asses just to get on an NBA roster. I get that people were amused by his tendency to say off the wall things and inject an element of randomness into the commentary, but I found him lacking in real insight as to what was going on on the court. That said, I will look up the interview you mention. I know the guy is interesting, I just didn't like his announcing.

Everything was always the most amazing play he had ever seen, or the worst play he could even imagine. And he liked to attribute ridiculous superhuman qualities to star players while denigrating the role players who dared to play with them.
    i get what you're saying, but the amazing/worst thing comes with the territory with walton-- he seems genuinely emotionally invested with the games that he announces. to me, it seems like he is just insane about basketball, and i can appreciate that.

however, i've seen him on multiple occasions link role players to images of greatness (true, he has a tendency to drool over the kobe's and lebrons, which they deserve, but it grows tiresome from any source.)

here is him comparing romanticism to boris freaking diaw

it's like he wakes up in the morning saying "dave eggers ain't shit"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

here is him comparing romanticism to boris freaking diaw

SPECTACULAR, YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    In spite of setbacks, Oden is still on pace to be the best big man taken in the 2007 NBA draft. Competition being Al Horford or Al Thornton, maybe Spencer Hawes or Marc Gasol.

Despite very poor conditioning to start the year, Noah is getting close to averaging a double-double the past few weeks. He's still pretty raw but could be a very good player.

Despite very poor conditioning to start the year, Noah is getting close to averaging a double-double the past few weeks. He's still pretty raw but could be a very good player.

He hasn't shown as much as the guys I've mentioned. The Bulls didn't trade for Brad Miller because they were happy with Noah as their center. That said, his hustling style of play will make him a decent player with a long career.

• anyone else noticed the NY Times' lack of NBA coverage? I rarely find any analysis or in depth pieces, just brief game round ups and stats.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    anyone else noticed the NY Times' lack of NBA coverage? I rarely find any analysis or in depth pieces, just brief game round ups and stats.

I thought this piece from the NYT magazine was fantastic.

anyone else noticed the NY Times' lack of NBA coverage? I rarely find any analysis or in depth pieces, just brief game round ups and stats.

That article was a great, and touched on a lot of subjects that never show up on the sports page. Like how racial and cultural stereotypes actually affect players performance. The NY Times would probably feature more NBA coverage if the Knicks and Nets weren't so mediocre.

That article was a great, and touched on a lot of subjects that never show up on the sports page. Like how racial and cultural stereotypes actually affect players performance. The NY Times would probably feature more NBA coverage if the Knicks and Nets weren't so mediocre.

The Times Sports Page used to be its own animal, now w/ financial strains, it has merged w/ another section and shrank considerably.

The Times Sports Page used to be its own animal, now w/ financial strains, it has merged w/ another section and shrank considerably.

Thats a shame. When I lived in Poughkeepsie in the nineties the Times coverage of the Knicks was great, and is probably the reason that I'm a closet Knicks fan to this day.

Thats a shame. When I lived in Poughkeepsie in the nineties the Times coverage of the Knicks was great, and is probably the reason that I'm a closet Knicks fan to this day.

Yeah...Newspapers are a wrap.

I used to cop but shit is online. $1.50 perday is bullshit.

Yeah...Newspapers are a wrap.

I used to cop but shit is online. $1.50 perday is bullshit.

There is something nice about reading the print newspaper, but I'm so used to getting my news online now that I can pass on paying for the paper,
    I am hating watching the Blazer game right now with Portland coming out flat against the Mavs. I am also sad that America is missing out on the Eric Dampier vs. Greg Oden matchup that could have been.

Oden is a bum.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Oden is a bum.

I think he's aiite. It's what the Blazers wanted as their first choice, cuz they wanted a center apparently. #1 overall pick doesn't necessarily mean #1 super baller out of college. I think it's unfair to put people on crazy high expectations too.

• anyone else noticed the NY Times' lack of NBA coverage? I rarely find any analysis or in depth pieces, just brief game round ups and stats.

I thought it only merged with the Business section cause I got an out of state edition, but if it's like that in NY then I could see why they don't have room for more basketball coverage.

Im a Don Nelson fan.

Your dude is making a mess of things right now for Golden State. Trying to force Jamal Crawford (who they just traded for) to opt out of his contract. But Crawford would be insane to give up the money hes getting because there is no way he could sign anywhere for the same amount. And there is no way Crawford could be traded for equal value, especially now that Nelson has publicly said that hes not in Golden State's plans. Crawford, reputedly one of the nicest guys in the NBA, doesn't deserve this nonsense.

"I've always been very open and honest with my players and I did tell him he probably would either opt out or we would move him next year," Nelson said Wednesday, two days after refusing to go into specifics.

"That's a fact and I just don't see that that's going to work. I'm loaded in the backcourt. If I'm going to move (Stephen) Jackson into the backcourt now, I'm really overloaded. I think he's too good a player to be a 10- or 15-minute player, as a backup player."..."Wherever Jack plays, there's not many minutes left. Wherever Monta plays when he's healthy, there won't be very many minutes left," Nelson said. "Those positions should be backed up by somebody making less than 8 or 9 - or whatever his contract is - million dollars a year. So he makes too much money as a backup player."

although i agree with the writers saying that this puts crawford in an awkward position with the team for the remainder of the season, i don't see anything wrong with what nelson is saying. i think this is a far more strategic route to follow than to blindside a player with a trade which creates animosity between former coaches/franchises and players when they inevitably meet up again in the future. (nelson's got plenty of that in his nba past already) in addition, it creates incentive for crawford to play out of his skull for the rest of the season to aid him in landing in a favorable position (team-wise) with the trade that gsw is going to push for this summer.

that said, i don't think that gsw will actually be able to trade him (unless LAC really wants to get rid of Baron, but Rowell's ego is too big for that to actually happen.) the league doesn't have a shortage of athletic combo guards right now, especially with his inflated contract (although he is one of the best shooters in that group).

i don't think that gsw will actually be able to trade him

The problem is that this whole fracas is decreasing Crawford's trade value. And none of this would have been public if Nellie hadn't decided to sit Crawford for a whole game when he was perfectly healthy, causing Crawford's agent to freak out and everyone else to wonder whats up.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

captivating read
    thanks for this

This dude's gonna be a nice PF soon...

From ESPN: Isiah Thomas is actively seeking work again, and he spoke several weeks ago with Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling in a meeting arranged by current coach/general manager Mike Dunleavy, ESPN.com learned Wednesday.

Several NBA sources confirmed the February meeting between the former president and general manager of the New York Knicks, adding that there were follow-up discussions between Thomas and other high-ranking club officials -- but also stressing that no job has been offered.

I think Isiah Thomas is just what the Clips need to right the ship. If they really hire Thomas it would be wither the funniest or saddest NBA news I have seen lately.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    If anything the new style will at least be more entertaining.

Yup. And judging from that clip that Drew posted, I'd say the players are buying into his basketball philosophy! Better ball movement, cuts to the baskets, they look like a team..

On the Offensive side.

It'll be enough for yall to make the playoffs. And would be a MAJOR improvement from last season. Well pretty much anything would, but still.

20 something wins to the Playoffs? Im not seein it at all.

BATMON, I AM DRUNK BUYT MY ANALAYSIS IS SOBER.

PUT THIS ON. AFTER WATCHING ONE MEASLY PRE-SEASON GAME, I AM MAKING THE PREDICTION THAT THE NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS WILL CLINCH A PLAYOFF SPOT THIS YEAR.

D'ANTONI KNOWS HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE, AND THAT'LL BE ENOUGH TO VAULT THEM INTO THE PLAYOFFS.

Jimenez did not reside at the family???s home, but worked there six days a week, the claim says.
    The lawsuit alleges Vanessa Bryant engaged in a pattern of verbal abuse against Jimenez ??? who she said called her ???a (expletive) liar,?????? ???dumb,?????? and ???lazy,?????? according to the lawsuit.
    The Laker star???s wife also left dog feces on the floor for Jimenez to clean up, according to the claim. One time, Vanessa Bryant screamed at Jimenez for putting an expensive blouse in the clothes washer. Vanessa Bryant then demanded that Jimenez put her hand in a bag of dog feces to retrieve the price tag for the blouse.
    ???Vanessa???s ordering her to put her hand in dog feces was outrageous ??? as a violation of health and safety laws,?????? according to the lawsuit.

I would like to see a surging Phoenix Suns cop the 8th spot and play The Lakers in the first round of the Playoffs.

The only thing is that the media is gonna OVER-hype the K.O.B.E. vs Shaq story for the 100th time.

I would like to see a surging Phoenix Suns cop the 8th spot and play The Lakers in the first round of the Playoffs.

The only thing is that the media is gonna OVER-hype the K.O.B.E. vs Shaq story for the 100th time.

Watched the Suns play the Blazers and they looked old and tired. I don't think theres anyway they can catch the Mavs, who have four less losses. that team needs start from scratch

Well on the flip, the Knicks were at least "respectable" this year and only 7 games off the 8th spot...

By the way, do not listen to the same knuckleheads who are thinking the "Lakers are gonna win it all" this year. They went from one of the best defensive teams to mediocre (giving up 100 every game) in a heartbeat this season. Offense looking pretty soft again too.

Cleveland is

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Cleveland is

They've turned me into a believer this year. Over the past couple seasons, they've gone from "LeBron and four other dudes" to "LeBron and some pretty good--but not good enough--role players" to "really good team with LeBron taking the lead." Every time I watch a Cleveland game, I'm impressed.