*OFFICIAL STRUT NBA '08-'09 Grit Grime Edition*

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    By the way, was it a coincidence that when AI sat out, Rip went for 28 points and the Pistons beat the Celtics?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The NBA needs to chop off about 10 franchises.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    they should have never expanded in the first place.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121they should have never expanded in the first place. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21exactlyb, 21b, 21b, 21Im not convinced that the Lottery system works.b, 21b, 21I guess you can barter a top 10 pick to an old team like the Spurs or Detroit that wanna inject some youth to thier team.b, 21b, 21But some of these franchises rely on that shit and have a gang of kids that never amount to shit. Or dont really ever pan out until the expectations fade away and they end up becoming a good role player down the line. Joe Smith anyone.b, 21b, 21It is what it is. But Golden State & Washington doesnt need another 19 year old.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Don Nelson is taking the ultimate cynic's route with the rotating bench jobs.b,121b,121i1"oh, you want some rookie playing time? sure, i'll give you that... lemme just sit one of my starting combo guards (ie: anyone on the roster) and play the rookie. then you'll see why i don't play rookies..."[/i]b,121b,121i have to admit, it's a bullshit tactic, but i respect the man's cojones.

Im a Don Nelson fan.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The NBA needs to chop off about 10 franchises.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I wouldn't say 10, more like 4 or 6, but basically I agree. The talent pool is diluted.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Don Nelson is taking the ultimate cynic's route with the rotating bench jobs.

"oh, you want some rookie playing time? sure, i'll give you that... lemme just sit one of my starting combo guards (ie: anyone on the roster) and play the rookie. then you'll see why i don't play rookies..."

i have to admit, it's a bullshit tactic, but i respect the man's cojones.

as much as i like dude, i dont think he can develop young talent at his age anymore. dude looks like he could give a sh*t on the sidelines.

they should have never expanded in the first place.

exactly

Im not convinced that the Lottery system works.

I guess you can barter a top 10 pick to an old team like the Spurs or Detroit that wanna inject some youth to thier team.

But some of these franchises rely on that shit and have a gang of kids that never amount to shit. Or dont really ever pan out until the expectations fade away and they end up becoming a good role player down the line. Joe Smith anyone.

It is what it is. But Golden State & Washington doesnt need another 19 year old.

Not every doctor is a great doctor...not every GM is a great GM...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

F*ck yeah.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Los Lakers =

b/w

Larry Hughes is lookin resurrected in NYC.

Which one of you fruittarts was laughing when I said Chauncey is one of the best PGs of all time?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    The NBA needs to chop off about 10 franchises.

I wouldn't say 10, more like 4 or 6, but basically I agree. The talent pool is diluted.

The problem was just as bad when there were 23 teams in the 80s. I think it's not so much the talent pool is diluted exactly. It just seems that there isn't enough elite talent to spread across 10 teams, let alone 23 or 30.

That's just how basketball is compared to other sports like football - it's near impossible to hide the flaws of your lesser players, and the importance of your marquee players is exaggerated. Combine this with a best of 7 playoff format, and you're virtually guaranteed only the cream of the crop go anywhere.

Having one player from that small elite pool is enough to turn a joke of a franchise into a playoff contender. Having two turns a joke into a Finals afterthought. There's never more than a handful of legit contenders every year as far as I can remember (granted, I wasn't around to enjoy the 70s). If there's a monumental upset, it's something like an also-ran getting into the *gasp* SECOND round of the playoffs!

(To be honest, in some ways, I'd prefer this setup to the NFL, where it's a crap shoot once you get into the playoffs.)

Western conference playoffs race is ridiculously tight; Blazers just went from sixth place to fourth.

Portland is 40-23?? Damn.

Portland and Utah tied at 40-23 and Denver at 40-25. The NW Division title race could easily come down to the last game of the season, meaning the difference between home court advantage or not for the playoffs. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Portland and Utah tied at 40-23 and Denver at 40-25. The NW Division title race could easily come down to the last game of the season, meaning the difference between home court advantage or not for the playoffs. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

I bought my "Steal of the Game" last night for that reason alone.

B/W Ariza's a punk.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

B/W Ariza's a punk.

i didn't think it was intentional. reckless, yes, but intentional, no. preliminary results have rudy doing ok, which is good.
    since the league is trying to maintain consistency in discipline, he'll probably get a one game suspension (a la bynum w/ the wallace hit). i think the interesting question is whether or not the league will hit odom with a one gamer for "leaving the bench area" (which still is the one of the most horribly defined rules in the book).

Oden is a bum

Oden is a bum

Oden is old news, Blazers are doing fine without Greg.

Oden is a bum

werent you the one talmbout...."its too early to hatt"?

Oden is a bum

werent you the one talmbout...."its too early to hatt"?

I was wrong, its never too early for soulstrut posteurs to hatt.

• B/W Ariza's a punk.

i didn't think it was intentional. reckless, yes, but intentional, no. preliminary results have rudy doing ok, which is good.
    since the league is trying to maintain consistency in discipline, he'll probably get a one game suspension (a la bynum w/ the wallace hit). i think the interesting question is whether or not the league will hit odom with a one gamer for "leaving the bench area" (which still is the one of the most horribly defined rules in the book).

Getting punked by 28 points + Hacksaw Jim Dugan = Ariza's has no class.

Getting off the bench + Mixing it up with Roy on the court = "Don't bother suiting up tonight. Go and get some more free throw practice in."

Somebody on that Lakers team has to be "the enforcer".

K.O.B.E. cant. Pau and Lamar are soft.

Not sayin what he did is cool, but.

• Oden is a bum

You done? Did you get it out? Tell us again.

Oden is a bum

Ahhh...another asshurt bad judge of talent.

• Oden is a bum

Ahhh...another asshurt bad judge of talent.

You say Potato...

Oden is a bum

There are definitely some revised expectations going on with Oden. Instead of the next Bill Russell, we are hoping for the next Bill Walton. Think about it, Walton was a college star who suffered from frustrating injuries his first few years in the league. And then he led the Blazers to a championship. And then he was injured for pretty much the rest of his career. If this is what we get from Oden, then I would be happy. And he would be a much better announcer than Walton.

Oden is a bum

There are definitely some revised expectations going on with Oden. Instead of the next Bill Russell, we are hoping for the next Bill Walton. Think about it, Walton was a college star who suffered from frustrating injuries his first few years in the league. And then he led the Blazers to a championship. And then he was injured for pretty much the rest of his career. If this is what we get from Oden, then I would be happy. And he would be a much better announcer than Walton.

I feel you.

Bill Walton was more well rounded as a player than Oden is.
    Dude could pass,block,rebound,and shoot.
    A complete Big Man.