Annual STAR WARS thread.....

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121On the real....b,121b,121I would like to see Will Smith as Lando Calrissian when he owned the Falcon.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    This kind of makes me want to watch these again. b,121b,121I also never want to see the new ones again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121This kind of makes me want to watch these again.
    b,121
    b,121I also never want to see the new ones again.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Cosign on both. b,121b,121(The seismic charges were kind of righteous though)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've only seen episode 1 and 2b,121b,121i just borrowed STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED for the ps3 from the homie and the game is kinda img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" 21

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    fantastic game!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Muthafukkers can't put Chewy on the Top 10???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Muthafukkers can't put Chewy on the Top 10???
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It says so much to me that I have seen all 3 newer movies,b,121and could not even remember the scenes shown in that countdown.b,121I couldn't even tell you which film each new scene was from.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    CARBONITE FREEZER b,121b,121So nice -- must have been super expensiveb,121b,121Now offered as an executive deskb,121b,121img src="http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/han-solo-carbonite-desk.jpg"1

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    >> This page without ads b,121b,121Sounddesigner Ben Burtt's responsibility on Star Wars was to create specifically unusual sounds - weapons, vehicles, character and key backgrounds. b,121b,121Ben Burtt was a film sound buff as a child (he recorded and replayed the sound tracks of his favorite movies) Burtt enrolled at the university of Southern California's film school with the intention of becoming a director. He received a student job cataloguing the Columbia sound library, which had been donated to the University. A call by Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz to U.S.C. led to a successful interview for Burtt. He was given carte blanche to work out of his apartment near the U.S.C. campus in order to collect at a leisure pace those sounds that might be useful. b,121b,121He spent a year recording anything that could be turned upside down and backwards to make Lucas world come alive. b,121b,121"In my first discussion with George Lucas about the film, he - and I concurred with him - that he wanted an 'organic', as opposed to the electronic and artificial soundtrack. Since we were going to design a visual world that had rust and dents and dirt, we wanted a sound which had Squeaks and motors that may not be the smooth-sounding or quite. Therefor we wanted to draw upon raw material from the real world: real motors, real squeaky door, real insects; this sort of thing. The basic thing in all films is to create something that sounds believable to everyone, because it's composed of familiar things that you can not quite recognize immediately" (Ben Burtt in Film Sound Today)b,121 Imperial Walkers b,121b,121The sound of the Imperial Walkers were created by modifying the sound of a machinist's punch press. Added to this for complexity, were the sounds of bicycle chains being dropped on concrete. |How to make new sounds|b,121 TIE fighter b,121b,121The screech of a TIE Fighter is a drastically altered elephant bellow.b,121 R2-D2 b,121b,12150 % of the droid??s voice is generated electronically; the rest is a combination and blending of water pipes, whistles, and vocalizations by Burtt. b,121b,121"R2-D2??s motors covers every single move it does. They got buried most of the time, but when they do surface it helps keep a consistent texture that tells you that it really is a robot."(Ben Burtt in Film Sound Today)b,121 Chewbacca b,121b,121Wookie sounds are constructed out of pieces of walruses and other animal sounds. b,121b,121"You have bits and fragments of animal sounds which you have collected and put into lists: here is an affectionate sound and, here is a angry sound and, just like with R2-D2, they are clipped together and blended. With a Wookie, you might end up with five or six tracks, sometimes, to get the flow of the sentence" (Ben Burtt in Film Sound Today)b,121 Laser blasts b,121b,121The sound of a hammer on an antenna tower guy wire (Ben Burt tapping the wires of a radio tower) [more]b,121 Lightsaber b,121b,121Burtt blended the sounds of his TV set and an old 35 mm projector to create the hum of a light saber. [more]b,121 Speeder Bike b,121b,121Sound of an Speeder Bike was achieved by mixing together the recorded sounds of a P-5 Mustang ariplane, a P-38 Lockheed Interceptor, and then record themb,121 Luke Skywalker's landspeeder b,121b,121The whoosh of Luke Skywalker's landspeeder was achieved by recording the roar the Los Angeles Harbor Freeway through a vacuum-cleaner pipe.b,121 Ewokese language b,121b,121A language created by altering and layering Tibetan, Mongolian, and Nepali languages b,121b,121. "I broke the sounds down phonetically, and red-edited them together to make composite words and sentences. I would always use a fair amount of the actual languages, combined with purely made-up words. With a new language, the most important goal is to create emotional clarity. People spend all of their lives learning to identify voices. You became an expert at that, and somewhat impossible to electronically process the human characteristic, and retain the necessary emotion. To fool the audience into believing this is a real character as the basis of the sound, although you may sprinkle other things in there. It varies from character to character." (Ben Burtt in Film Sound Today)b,121 Reality "hook" of a language. b,121The reality "hook" of a language comes not from a part of an existing language, but from a sprinkling of pidgin English here and there, as when Bibb Frotuna said "Bargon no wachonga" which of course means " There will be no bargain" How to make to make new soundsb,121 The unique sound effects of Star Wars. b,121Burt has a keen ear for the compelling sounds, but what makes his works special is how his effects vault to a film's foreground. Normally, one only perceives a sound effect on a subconscious level. See a sound; hear a sound. Every time you see some action on the screen, your mind expects there to be a complimentary sound. Sounds that, will seem appropriate to that image and to its emotional context. But Burtt??s skills go far beyond ordinary environmental stretching: his sounds often literally tell the story and they bring pleasure in them selves. b,121b,121a href="http://hem.passagen.se/filmljud/starwars.htm" target="_blank"1http://hem.passagen.se/filmljud/starwars.htm

• I have to say, I recently borrowed the box set of the first three movies. I was stunned at how lame they are. Wooden acting, lame stories, writing and directing.b,121The OG 'Star Wars' holds up the best of the three, but Empire and Return were soporific.b,121The later three are even worse.b,121Feh...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I have to say, I recently borrowed the box set of the first three movies. I was stunned at how lame they are. Wooden acting, lame stories, writing and directing.
    b,121The OG 'Star Wars' holds up the best of the three, but Empire and Return were soporific.
    b,121The later three are even worse.
    b,121Feh...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121BAN FOR LIFE.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I have to say, I recently borrowed the box set of the first three movies. I was stunned at how lame they are. Wooden acting, lame stories, writing and directing.
    b,121The OG 'Star Wars' holds up the best of the three, but Empire and Return were soporific.
    b,121The later three are even worse.
    b,121Feh...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121BAN FOR LIFE.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Ban me for life you will???

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Forver imbedded in my mind, is a documentary about the dude making the sounds for the films. I was probably 9 or 10, but I have such a clear memory of him hitting a cable that was bracing a telephone pole with a wrench.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Forver imbedded in my mind, is a documentary about the dude making the sounds for the films. I was probably 9 or 10, but I have such a clear memory of him hitting a cable that was bracing a telephone pole with a wrench.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Thats that shit. If I recall - dude was on a highway bangin a wire on the skreet and recording it.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Forver imbedded in my mind, is a documentary about the dude making the sounds for the films. I was probably 9 or 10, but I have such a clear memory of him hitting a cable that was bracing a telephone pole with a wrench. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Thats that shit. If I recall - dude was on a highway bangin a wire on the skreet and recording it. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yes!! Doing all kinds of stuff. Good look pjl.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121CARBONITE FREEZER
    b,121
    b,121So nice -- must have been super expensive
    b,121
    b,121Now offered as an executive desk
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21 That's fantastic. Alan Fishman probably has one. b,121b,121a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/09/wamu-moolah-ceo.html" target="_blank"1http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/09/wamu-moolah-ceo.htmlb,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Here's how bad the "New" movies are:b,121b,121I think I've seen them all.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The OG 'Star Wars' holds up the best of the three, but Empire and Return were soporific
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Conventional wisdom is that A New Hope is the cultural touchstone, Empire is the critical darling, and ROtJ is the hyper-inflated cash cow.