good bye full time record slangin'

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
well, I got a call today telling me I was hired as the new Recreational Therapist at this center I applied to...only gonna work at the shop a few hours a week now, mainly to keep dibs on the good records that come in...well, record game, it was fun, but I gotta go make better money somewhere else. No more will I have to tear my hair out over an asshurt beatles customer who is pissed off at low number of "breathe holes" in the sealed record he and everyone else in the world has heard 7000 times...however, I will miss seeing famous folk walk through the door...oh well, time to grow up for the second time in my life. Bye.

Comments

• Good luck in your future endeavors! There is life outside the record store. Really.

• thanks!b,121b,121Now I can afford to drag my ass up to DC!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As a former rekkid-sto employee myself, I'm happy for you. Good luck on the real-world moves, Hook!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121As a former rekkid-sto employee myself, I'm happy for you.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm sayin'. It happens to the best of us. Plus your new job sounds dope. Good luck!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Congrats......and remember....record slangin' can still be the best part time extra income hobby you'll ever have.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Congrats......and remember....record slangin' can still be the best part time extra income hobby you'll ever have.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Congrats. b,121b,121Now you can start enjoying records again.

• I just quit my record-store job for a real-world job recently and I don't miss the record store at all. Congratulations to you, sir.

• thanks ya'll...back to a real job. It was nice having an easy, fun job for 3.5 years after 10 years of 60 hours a week too real of a job in Texas. This was the 100th resume I sent out, things are tough out there. I am 37 and have a B.S. and a 19 YEAR UNINTERRUPTED job history with ONLY 4 JOBS on my resume, a lot of folks would have 20 jobs on their resume for that long...but I guess that shit aint important like it used to be..

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I am 37 and have a B.S. and a 19 YEAR UNINTERRUPTED job history with ONLY 4 JOBS on my resume, a lot of folks would have 20 jobs on their resume for that long...but I guess that shit aint important like it used to be..
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't know. A friend of mine who was in charge of hiring for an SF company told me that if someone's resume showed they'd been in the same position for 6 years, he dismissed it. "They can't get a better job in that time? Sounds to me like they lack initiative."b,121b,121Kinda blew my mind at the time, but I see his point. Not a knock on you, btw. I'm just sayin': that shit aint important like it used to be.b,121b,121Oh, and congrats on the new job! I think that what Rock and Dan said will prove to be very true for you.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I don't know. A friend of mine who was in charge of hiring for an SF company told me that if someone's resume showed they'd been in the same position for 6 years, he dismissed it. "They can't get a better job in that time? Sounds to me like they lack initiative."
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1What industry is this? Just curious.b,121b,121Congrats on the job. Health insurance might be fun img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's funny how everybody that quits full-time record storeb,121work at least tries to keep one day a week working there - b,121it makes total sense, and I'm still mad at myself for gettingb,121busted making fun of the boss in an e-mail and losing my Sundayb,121"do eBay listings and buy all the dope new records out of the backb,121room" gig I had held onto for a year+ after moving on to a "real job"b,121... it was so awesome to work there and have money to spend on records,b,121unlike when I had worked there full-time and was too poor to even buyb,121the really good records that came in.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    I'm not sure if I could deal with the obsessiveness of collectors.b,121b,121The records would be nice, but I wouldn't have the patience for these types img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 I am 37 and have a B.S. and a 19 YEAR UNINTERRUPTED job history with ONLY 4 JOBS on my resume, a lot of folks would have 20 jobs on their resume for that long...but I guess that shit aint important like it used to be..
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121As an employer, 20 jobs screams "Can't keep a job".....4 in 19 years would even have me looking closer.b,121b,121Tip to young job seekers.....tell the interviewer you're looking for a company to build a long term career with and you increase your chance of being hired by 50%