SCARY - Liberals targeted - CDN Politics-R

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Spray-painting - whatever....cutting phone- and brake-lines? WTF?!b,121_______________________________________________________________b,121b,121b,121Six more vandalism casesb,121TheStar.com - Federal Election - Six more vandalism casesb,121October 06, 2008 b,121Debra Blackb,121Staff Reporterb,121b,121Six more acts of vandalism have been reported today among Liberal supporters in the ridings of St. Paul's and Parkdale-High Park.b,121b,121Campaign officials say the new cases include the cutting of car brake, phone and cable lines and graffiti defacing homes and garages in the two ridings. They were committed over the weekend, but unreported until now.b,121b,121Yesterday, 12 acts of vandalism were reported to police in Parkdale-High Park. This morning Liberal officials in the riding said three more calls had come in plus three more cases in St. Paul's.b,121b,121Officials believe the incidents are connected and are the work of one person. b,121b,121"There's no excuse for this kind of intimidation," said Carolyn Bennett, Liberal incumbent for St. Paul's. "We think this is somebody who really is not well."b,121b,121In Parkdale-High Park, Andrew Krupowicz, who lives on Roncesvalles Ave., was horrified to find his car's brake lines were cut Saturday night while he and his girlfriend were inside the house he shares with his mother and stepfather. On the lawn is a sign supporting Gerard Kennedy, the Liberal candidate in the riding.b,121b,121It was only at 11 p.m. when he was taking his girlfriend home that he discovered something was wrong. "I was trying to pull out when I realized my brakes were all soft and mushy," he said. "Every time I pushed the brakes, it would squeeze out brake fluid. I was just creeping out of the driveway. It was leaking out so fast I immediately knew something was horribly wrong." b,121b,121Then this morning he found the cable and phone line had also been deliberately cut. b,121b,121"I'm in complete shock. This is something you don't expect to have happen in Canada. We have a democratic system. This could have killed me, my girlfriend and everyone else on the road."b,121b,121His neighbour Debra McNevin was also a victim. A big red "L" was painted on the brick wall of her house, the screen door and the garage door late Saturday. McNevin said she thinks she was targeted because she also has a sign supporting Kennedy on her lawn. "It's really upsetting," said McNevin. "Cutting somebody's brake lines is very dangerous. b,121b,121"It's unbelievable. Who would do something like that?"b,121b,121Kennedy was shocked when he heard of the incidents and called out to community members to "not allow this reckless attitude of intimidation to prevail." Kennedy and his campaign team yesterday alerted their supporters and those with signs. b,121b,121For supporters like McNevin and Krupowicz, the acts of vandalism weren't enough for them to even consider taking the signs down. Says McNevin: "My daughter said: `I think we should get a bigger sign.'"b,121b,121In St. Paul's riding, the story was much the same. Most supporters weren't bending to any form of intimidation and wanted to keep their signs or even exchange them for bigger signs. Some, however, including the elderly or single women, were fearful and took down their signs temporarily. b,121b,121Meanwhile, Bennett and a team of supporters spent part of yesterday afternoon cleaning up some of the graffiti that had defaced her supporters' homes.b,121b,121No new incidents of vandalism have been reported since police stepped up patrols in the neighbourhoods where the attacks occurred Friday night and early Saturday, said Staff Sgt. Shawn Meloche from 53 Division. b,121b,121"We want more people in Canada to participate in the democratic process," said Bennett in an interview with the Star yesterday. "We don't want people to feel it's too dangerous to put up a Liberal sign during an election."b,121b,121This isn't the first time vandals have targeted Liberals in recent election campaigns. There were cases in Guelph during the byelection campaign in August and in the riding of Willowdale during the March by-election.b,121b,121The NDP and the Conservatives in St. Paul's condemned the vandalism. b,121b,121NDP Leader Jack Layton called the attacks "outrageous." b,121b,121"Anybody who attacks the basic right of people to get involved in politics is attacking something that is very fundamental to all us, which is the right to vote. ... It is absolutely unacceptable and quite horrific to imagine such a thing is going on," Layton said during a campaign stop in Thunder Bay.b,121b,121Added Liberal Leader St??phane Dion during a stop in Churchill, Man.: "I think it's completely unacceptable in any democracy what is happening for Carolyn . . . we will not be intimidated by that ... It's something we cannot accept in Canada."

Comments

• That is scary. b/w What's a 'riding'?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    electoral districts

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121electoral districts
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ah. My parents have had their Obama signs stolen several times (as well as previous Dem candidate signs), and some crank got out of his car and started yelling at my 77 year old Dad about the signs, but nothing that rises to that level.b,121I have friends here at work who refuse to put political stickers on their cars (I have four) because they're afraid of yahoos.

Not sure how related it is, but the ill-will seems to run as sick and as deep: in May, memorial stones with names of fallen firefighters were vandalized with spray-paint and paint (during the provincial elections, the Ontario Professional Firefighters Association supported the Liberals).

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Not sure how related it is, but the ill-will seems to run as sick and as deep: in May, memorial stones with names of fallen firefighters were vandalized with spray-paint and paint (during the provincial elections, the Ontario Professional Firefighters Association supported the Liberals).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121In Canada, is the liberal vs conservative split similar to the one here in the US (i.e. are the terms used the same way to describe political parties)?

There's not really an easy way to answer that...but I'll say yes. Generally speaking*, the Conservatives are not nearly as right as the Republicans. The Liberals are a little more left than the Democrats and the NDP, even more so. The NDP had very little support for a long time, but that has changed recently. The Green Party are definitely left of centre, but I'm still a little confused about where they stand on something like the handgun ban, which Conservatives are against, but almost everyone else (in their right mind) is for.b,121b,121*The exceptions to the rules would depend on the individual obviously.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Harper's definetely going to drop the gloves in the this last week of the campaign.... But somehow I can't see him crawling under cars and cutting brake lines. Or can I?... Must be Stockwell Day.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121electoral districts
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Ah. My parents have had their Obama signs stolen several times (as well as previous Dem candidate signs), and some crank got out of his car and started yelling at my 77 year old Dad about the signs, but nothing that rises to that level.
    b,121I have friends here at work who refuse to put political stickers on their cars (I have four) because they're afraid of yahoos.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121maybe they were stolen by cats that wanted to put them up in their room or save them for historical purposes. that'd be cool but I doubt it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121electoral districts
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Ah. My parents have had their Obama signs stolen several times (as well as previous Dem candidate signs), and some crank got out of his car and started yelling at my 77 year old Dad about the signs, but nothing that rises to that level.
    b,121I have friends here at work who refuse to put political stickers on their cars (I have four) because they're afraid of yahoos.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121maybe they were stolen by cats that wanted to put them up in their room or save them for historical purposes. that'd be cool but I doubt it.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I doubt it's kids. They moved into a really nice nieghborhood (right before it got expensive) and they're a nice little middle class island in a sea of financial district (heavily Republican) types.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121There's not really an easy way to answer that...but I'll say yes. Generally speaking*, the Conservatives are not nearly as right as the Republicans.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, that's because the 2 main conservative parties joined forces to win the election over the liberals a few years back. The one part was just as far right as the Reps. While the other party was more centrist. Deal with the devil...b,121b,121God I really hope the Conservatives don't win a majority. Tho, I pray they don't win at all!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Theft of lawn signs happen in all neighborhoods to all candidates. b,121b,121I was just in AZ and am aware of 2 more serious events. (More serious than lawn sign theft, less serious than cutting brakes.) b,1211) People use sharpies to change Obama bumperstickers into NObama stickers. b,121b,1212) My mothers friend (who lives on five acres outside of towm) received a threatening letter proclaiming things like "We know you are a liberal and contribute to liberal organizations" "We are watching you" "You people must be stopped" I forget how the direct threats were worded. It was a typical nutjob screed signed by something like Patriots For Freedom. b,121b,121I had my lawn sign stolen. In my part of town we are use to having anything outside fence stolen including plants, shrubs...

• St. Paul's is usually fairly hotly contested, isn't it? That being said, I hope they catch the dork(s) who are doing this.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121electoral districts
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121maybe they were stolen by cats that wanted to put them up in their room or save them for historical purposes. that'd be cool but I doubt it.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121that made me laugh.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121St. Paul's is usually fairly hotly contested, isn't it? That being said, I hope they catch the dork(s) who are doing this.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It seems to go back and forth between Liberals and Conservatives but Liberals have won the riding in Federal elections since the early 90s.b,121b,121I guess most people are assuming that it's a Conservative supporter doing this?

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Wow thats crazy I haven't keep such a close eye on the election not that I'm in Manchester for school. Parkdale-High Park is my home ryding. Its kind of strange because I don't see the conservatives having any shot at this ryding it will be NDP or Liberal.