What BALLERS on here went to basketball camp?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Who on here went to basketball camp as a youngster or teenager? I am sure some of yall dudes went to the nice expensive rich kid camps, right? Who were the guest(s) at your camp? My best guest was David Thompson...out of all the kids in the camp, he pulled me and my friend to play a quick one on one game with the loser having to do 20 push ups(or some random number) in front of everyone. b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Like I was about to take a L in front of David Thompson and the whole camp. Of COURSE I won that shit!

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It wasn`t no rich expensive ass camp, but one summer me and some friends went to Santa Monica College to play ball a lil bit. I got Charles O`bannon`s autograph!!

• Yeah, I don't know what I did w/ Thompson's autograph.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i did one summerb,121b,121our end of the summer special guest was Jayson Williamsb,121b,121he made us all kneel down starting at the hoopb,121b,121the row of kids went to the foul line (which is where i was)b,121b,121he said "ima dunk over all yall"b,121b,121dude kicked me in the head when he jumped.b,121b,121i think he dunked it tho

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I sure did! Several years, in fact, at the summer camp at Fairfield U. Over the years, we got visited by:b,121b,121Reggie Lewis (possibly the nicest, most humble guy on the planet. RIP)b,121b,121Charles Smith (I think this was the year before his infamous inability to stick a layup in the playoffs)b,121b,121Rollie Massaminob,121b,121Ed Pinckney (really funny dude)

• I went to basketball camp at Arizona state 3 years in row, Harlem Globetrotters camp one summer, Phoenix Suns camp once, my brothers high school camp a couple times, and my club teams camp every summer from 9-17 yrs old. I had a chance to go to the Arizona wildcats camp too, but I was too sore after the ASU one. My brother won MVP of the U of A camp high school division and got to scrimmage with Richard Jefferson, Channing Frye, Gilbert Arenas, Luke Walton, Miles Simon, and a few other ex-wildcats. b,121b,121Guest speakers at some of these camps i've been to: Grant Hill, Eddie House, Eddie Johnson, Mark West, Tom Chambers, globetrotters, and some other people I forgot. I've also coached at local camps, and helped put on a few in Idaho, Washington, and some areas around Arizona.b,121b,121Btw, I didnt pay for most of these camps. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I went to basketball camp at Arizona state 3 years in row, Harlem Globetrotters camp one summer, Phoenix Suns camp once, my brothers high school camp a couple times, and my club teams camp every summer from 9-17 yrs old. I had a chance to go to the Arizona wildcats camp too, but I was too sore after the ASU one. My brother won MVP of the U of A camp high school division and got to scrimmage with Richard Jefferson, Channing Frye, Gilbert Arenas, Luke Walton, Miles Simon, and a few other ex-wildcats.
    b,121
    b,121Guest speakers at some of these camps i've been to: Grant Hill, Eddie House, Eddie Johnson, Mark West, Tom Chambers, globetrotters, and some other people I forgot. I've also coached at local camps, and helped put on a few in Idaho, Washington, and some areas around Arizona.
    b,121
    b,121Btw, I didnt pay for most of these camps.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121How did you go without paying? A school paid or something?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I went to basketball camp at Arizona state 3 years in row, Harlem Globetrotters camp one summer, Phoenix Suns camp once, my brothers high school camp a couple times, and my club teams camp every summer from 9-17 yrs old. I had a chance to go to the Arizona wildcats camp too, but I was too sore after the ASU one. My brother won MVP of the U of A camp high school division and got to scrimmage with Richard Jefferson, Channing Frye, Gilbert Arenas, Luke Walton, Miles Simon, and a few other ex-wildcats.
    b,121
    b,121Guest speakers at some of these camps i've been to: Grant Hill, Eddie House, Eddie Johnson, Mark West, Tom Chambers, globetrotters, and some other people I forgot. I've also coached at local camps, and helped put on a few in Idaho, Washington, and some areas around Arizona.
    b,121
    b,121Btw, I didnt pay for most of these camps.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121How did you go without paying? A school paid or something?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Kinda. I paid for the high school, and club team camps which wasnt much. The phoenix suns camp was a free give back to the community type of thing, and the globetrotters one I had to write a paper saying I learned something in exchange for going. The ASU camp was crazy expensive and was paid for by the recreation department that my uncle runs. We got to stay at the mission palms hotel for a week with all meals paid for, and nothing but basketball.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121It wasn`t no rich expensive ass camp, but one summer me and some friends went to Santa Monica College to play ball a lil bit. I got Charles O`bannon`s autograph!!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/03/Sportballcam1.jpg"1

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Be careful to upset it. Remember what happened in Alien?*b,121b,121img src="http://www.horrorphile.net/images/alien-ash-the-android.jpg"1b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121*Disregard my warning if you have a rolled up magazine in close proximity

• Did I miss something?

• KU basketball camp with Roy Wiliams for a number of years, UMKC camp, William Jewel camp, different high school camps and summer leagues around the KC area. b,121b,121My brother always tells the story of how Kenny "the Jet" Smith was once a guest speaker at KU: while performing some dribbling tricks, Kenny said, "I dribble beats."b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/GetOnMyComp_gm.jpg" alt="" /1

• i went to duke UNC and GA Tech camps at one time or anotherb,121b,121Urkel used to go to the DUKE one

• I went to the free local camps that the sonics threw for a couple years. I think Alton Lister was there one year and Derrick McKey the next. One of my rich homies went to LA for the Magic Johnson camp and had the picture with him in his room. I was hating.

• When I was at the globetrotters camp I got to do promo commercial along side the trotters for the local news station. We had to yell out something like "hey hooner." In junior high I got to be in a cell phone commercial with Danny Ainge back when he was the Suns coach. Also, was an extra in a commercial with "thunder" Dan Majerle too.b,121b,121Got a chance to play against Jerryd Bayless back in high school at a summer tournament, dude was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" /1. He was a sophmore, and threw down one of the nastiest dunks i've ever seen. He ripped this kid and had a breakaway, but kid tried to catch him and contest it. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1 Anyways, Bayless looked behind him and seen him coming, then waited for him. He jumped from about a step inside the free throw line, and hammered it on him. Kinda like KJ on Akeem back in the day.

• City of Philadelphia summer ball clinic, early 80's. Hyperventilated through air filled with the stench of the annual summer garbage strikes of those days no doubt under the wrathful but genius guise of none less than Lefty Ervin. No, you google him.b,121I feel lucky looking back on it.b,121I was wearing some adidas that definitely were not state-of-the-art supportive baller shoes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Went to West Bank biddy basketball camp one summer when I was ~11 at my normal Harvey gym in New Orleans. The main attraction wasn't a guest superstar but a mere kid in the camp. He played for our rival the Terrytown Fighting Irish and we of the Harvey Oilers had only heard of him up to that point. He was known to us as the Maravich kid. In our neighborhood Pistil Pete was the pinnacle, well him and Dr. J...but LSU and the Jazz...godlike. Anyway, the kid's dad owned the only independent athletic shoe store on the West Bank and somehow had some connect with the real Pete Maravich. My little band of friends from Harvey...we were so rag-tag that we were impressed just to know that the kid was rumored to have a pair of shoes autographed by Pistol Pete. In camp, the kid quite impressed in drills, especially with his rapid-fire dribbling technician shit. But we pretty much owned him in the scimmages. b,121b,121I also went to linebacker camp at John Curtis high school, in River Ridge. That might have been the same summer as the biddy camp. Then there was a summer of passing league camp at Edison High School, in Huntington Beach, CA. None of these were overnight camps...but really I can't tell you how much each of them advanced me in my sports. b,121b,121Couple of years ago, I was at a dinner party and an old, now fat friend was telling me how he had recently gone to Yankees celebrity baseball camp. And when he got to the part where he so casually mentioned that in some sort of "game" he hit a double off of Tommy John...I fell on the ground laughing at the single stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

• thiskidnamed32 should be renamed thiskidnamedLUCKYASSMOTHERFUCKERb,121b,121b,121Deal?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121thiskidnamed32 should be renamed thiskidnamedLUCKYASSMOTHERFUCKER
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121Deal?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Haha...ok. This doesnt really have to do with basketball camps, but some of you guys might want to hear this. b,121b,121I was talking to my old basketball coach yesterday who does some work with Nike, and gave me some insight of what Nike has coming out pretty soon. I guess nike has this new division called "N7" which is focusing on native american styled shoes. He said alot of the top designers are trying to get in on this, because they get to experiment more with the designs, and colors. According to my coach, Steve Nash is supposed to rock em, and debut them at the upcoming all-star game here in Phoenix. Also, there gonna be coming out with Native American remix's of newly released shoes starting with the Nike Free's. The color scheme of the kicks are also gonna be insipired regionally by the different tribes throughout the U.S. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ss.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 the wrathful but genius guise of none less than Lefty Ervin. No, you google him.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121went to his camp and later coached at one.b,121b,121b,121some of the bball camps i went to, starting at around 9 years old:b,121b,121Rollie Massimino (villanova)b,121b,121Speedy Morris (lasalle)b,121b,121sixersb,121b,121blue chipb,121b,121Walt Frazierb,121b,121Eastern Invitationalb,121b,121Five Star

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i went to more than fewb,121cant remember all of themb,121i do remember hittin the UMKC one. johnshade, when you go to that camp? i think i went summer of 97 or 98.b,121my first ball camp was a spud webb camp. shit was cool.

• Went to Butler University basketball camp in Indianapolis... Thad Motta (Ohio State) was my coach there.b,121b,121b,121Our HS team went to David Lipscomb camp in TN... I won defensive player of the camp, in what was probably the highlight of my ballin' career. We had a guy who was 6'7", and one who was 6'10" on our team, an our coach put me (6'3") on the opposisitions 6'8" dude. I shut his ass DOWN. That was a good week...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Walt Frazier
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121LUCKY!b,121b,121Did he spend an afternoon teaching you had to dress like a muhfuggin' peeeiiimp? Did he teach you the secret to becoming the the Best. Color commentator. Ever?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Walt Frazier
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121LUCKY!
    b,121
    b,121Did he spend an afternoon teaching you had to dress like a muhfuggin' peeeiiimp? Did he teach you the secret to becoming the the Best. Color commentator. Ever?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121he's definitely the all-time best dressed professional athlete, but no, there wasn't a fashion component to his hoops camp. it was probably the worst camp i ever went to, with the highlight being a surprise visit from former Net and Sixer, Roy Hinson, who didn't give us any instruction, but spent about 20 minutes dunking and nearly destroying our outdoor, half-moon baskets.

• yes! this brings back fun summer memories. in middle school i went to this small, yet somewhat big camp run by Dudley Martin Chevrolet. the head instructor there only had one arm which was cool. also, our shirts were a giant basketball character smiling while shooting two pistols filled with mini basketball bullets. notable guests were Rod Strickland, and Darvin Ham. b,121b,121on a side note, my mom worked for one of the biggest hospitals in the DC area that all the teams had contracts with. the office building she worked in was on the same floor as one of the physical rehab clinics. so whenever someone big came into the building she would call me up to skateboard my happy ass down to her work. i got to meet/hang out with Chris Webber multiple times and got a slew of schitt signed by him from his whole career as he was my fave Bullets player. the dopest, most humble person i ever met there was Darrell Green, and i met him a couple other times around the area and at signings and he always remembered my name.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One time when I came home to my parents house in Houston from college in Austin, I walked into my room and found an autographed photo of Sweet Lou Dunbar sitting on the dresser in my old room. I picked it up and was like...WHAT THE F*ck in a major way...as I recognized all of the people in the background as kids from my even older high school in Huntington Beach, CA. b,121b,121Upon investigation, I found the photo got in my room because my realtor mom had apparently found a house for Sweet Lou in the Houston area and had him sign that for me. And then I found out that the Globetrotters had ended their world tour a couple year prior with a visit to Edison High School in HB. b,121b,121Before I knew all of that, and it was just me and the photo and no information...it was a total Twilight Zone moment.