Drug addicts on Soulstrut

markus71markus71 937 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Yay or nay....

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm buying a more economical car so my whole family can become heroin addicts.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Lets do this

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I was gonna make a joke--then I realized that it was insensitive of me and really none of my business.b,121b,121to make fun of one with a drug problem is a really low blow. It's like making fun of someone cause of their disease.b,121b,121The more I think about it--it really is a bad look.

/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I was gonna make a joke--then I realized that it was insensitive of me and really none of my business.
    b,121
    b,121to make fun of one with a drug problem is a really low blow. It's like making fun of someone cause of their disease.
    b,121
    b,121The more I think about it--it really is a bad look.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Rockadelic1234/drug.jpg"1b,121b,121Does the tap water taste a little funny in S.F.??

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    nope, i just got a soul img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I was gonna make a joke--then I realized that it was insensitive of me and really none of my business.
    b,121
    b,121to make fun of one with a drug problem is a really low blow. It's like making fun of someone cause of their disease.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I donno... the medicalization of non-medical problems kind of bugs me... its sort of irresponsible. b,121b,121Alcoholics got themselves into their issues... now I agree people make mistakes... but to say that they were victims to alcohol kind of does a disservice to everyone who has will power and makes good decisions. There are physical components to addiction... but that doesn't make it a disease. People need to take responsibility and realize that they "Racka the Disiprin"

I hear they've got good ones out there but they're expensive.b,121b,121I got mine cheap at a trailer park garage sale in Balch Springs, Texas.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    certainly, but why do people like to put people down when they are already hitting rock bottom?b,121b,121not that that has happened in this thread..it was just a thought that came to mind and made me rethink the situation.b,121b,121I understand where you are coming from..really.b,121b,121And it especially bothers me to see a pregnant mother shooting heroin. I think to myself that she isnt trying hard enough to care for her and her baby. But what do i know? I am not in her shoes. Should I make fun of her? Judge her? b,121b,121b,121just some perspective..no real debate.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I donno... the medicalization of non-medical problems kind of bugs me... its sort of irresponsible.
    b,121
    b,121Alcoholics got themselves into their issues... now I agree people make mistakes... but to say that they were victims to alcohol kind of does a disservice to everyone who has will power and makes good decisions. There are physical components to addiction... but that doesn't make it a disease. People need to take responsibility and realize that they "Racka the Disiprin"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121So, you would agree, then, that sexually transmitted diseases are not actually diseases?b,121b,121"If only I had worn a condom"...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    also...is addiction not a disease? I thought it was considered that??

• No... that doesn't make sense. STDs have bacterial and viral components. Thats why they are diseases.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    found this interesting:b,121b,121a href="http://www.grayarea.com/drugadd7.html" target="_blank"1http://www.grayarea.com/drugadd7.html/a1b,121b,121"We believe that alcoholism and drug addiction are diseases because we want to believe it. It makes us feel better to think that our problems are beyond our control. We desperately search for something outside of ourselves to blame things on. Real solutions to real problems, however, will never result from ignorance and misinformation. We are a society that applies short-term solutions to long-term problems. Our current social policies are based purely on fear. If we could start trying looking at the world a little bit more objectively we could begin to develop social policies that actually make sense. And until we do our society will continue to deteriorate.b,121b,121It's far easier for parents to accept substance abuse in their children if they believe it's because of a disease. It's easier for addicts to accept their behavior by blaming it on the drugs and denying their own participation it. But the problems and the solutions are all within us. It may be comforting to learn that drugs are not as powerful as we've been led to believe, but it's also hard for us to admit that the causes and the solutions are within ourselves. We have met the enemy and he is us. The answers are actually quite simple: open up, don't judge. Communicate with others and try to understand their worlds. Do they like themselves? Are they hopeful about the future? Do they have the social skills they need to get what they want?"

• I think addiction is officially treated as a medical condition... that doesn't mean its a disease... but I really don't know. b,121b,121I think pedophilia also implies a condition thats outside of the persons control.... now thats some bullshit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121I think pedophilia also implies a condition thats outside of the persons control.... now thats some bullshit.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Why, you don't think it is?b,121b,121I'm pretty sure lots if not most pedophiliacs can't control themselves.

• Man... i guess so.b,121b,121I guess were veering towards a free will argument... which I ultimately don't know if we have free will... so I guess... we are all just victims of circumstance... and I never was actually in control of any of the bad decisions i've ever made.b,121b,121but i don't really want to take it there...b,121b,121I think Pedophiles should not be pitied... if someone cannot control their urges to do horrible shit like that... they need to be removed from society. Even if they weren't really in control.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121I think Pedophiles should not be pitied... if someone cannot control their urges to do horrible shit like that... they need to be removed from society. Even if they weren't really in control.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, yeah - I didn't suggest anything of the sort - you just saidb,121that it was bullshit that the term pedophilia means that they areb,121acting beyond their control, which I didn't agree with.b,121b,121And I certainly wasn't saying people aren't responsible for any badb,121decisions they make. I just figure, people don't really "take up"b,121pedophilia as a hobby ... I'm sure self-hatred is a big part of beingb,121one, when you can't control the urges and feelings.

• Well... I was being for real about nobody having responsibility for anything they do ever... or everyone has responsibility for everything they do always.b,121b,121Its like... if Pedophilia has a medical component, what do we do with that. Do we forgive it then? If people have no control over their actions do we forgive them? Like... mentally ill people committing murders? Different states do different things... and currently... the largest populations of mentally ill people are not in medical institutions they are in prison.b,121b,121If I drink a bunch of beer and kill you with my car... i go to jail extra...b,121b,121but if I get blinded by anger and beat you to death... then I can get off because it was in the heat of the moment.b,121b,121So.... if you drink... should your alcoholism be viewed as deserved. Or is it our RIGHT to get drunk... and thus... if your pursuing your natural right as a human being to get intoxicated... and your not ready for it... then its the communities problem now to deal with your self induced alcohol problem.b,121b,121Now if your sexually abused as a kid should you be forgiven for later sexual abuses you may commit? Should we as a country... understand peoples inability to control their will power.b,121b,121OR do we HAVE to punish people even if they had no control of their actions just to keep our current system of law and order moving. b,121b,121Right now... we do both... on a case by case basis... its weird. b,121b,121The twinkie defense... all that shit... at the same time we execute retarded people in texas. b,121b,121So... i REALLY don't know... if you wanted to argue free will... i'd say we don't have it... which literally means... nobody is in control of themselves... and technically shouldn't be held legally accountable for their actions... but I kind of FEEL like we have free will... even if it doesn't make sense... and I think all of our desire to feel that way shapes our legal system. b,121b,121Did that make sense?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    So what about debt? Not speaking personally (I just owe shitloads on the house instead) but is it the credit card companies fault that they kept giving out cards for a mug to rack up and then, when they realise they are in too deep, expect the credit card companies to write off the debt?b,121b,121"I was addicted to spending and nobody helped me" defense.b,121b,121Y'know, like the credit crunch.

• Depends on your school of thought... i guess it would depend on if they really knew where their actions were leading this country... and if they were truly in control of their actions pertaining to spending money.

• I think it'd be pretty hard to fund both a drug and rekid buying addiction. b,121b,121My girlfriend thinks my unfathomable urge to go through stacks of crap records in the hope of finding some hidden treasure is definitely a medical condition.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    not one mention of Eggface Xanaxfuck yet? I'm unimpressed.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121not one mention of Eggface Xanaxfuck yet? I'm unimpressed.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read this. That, and if addiction is a disease, so is being fat.

Having a "disease" makes you a victim and sets you free of any personal accountability.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Having a "disease" makes you a victim and sets you free of any personal accountability.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I bet you won't think that way if some chick gives you herpes.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Having a "disease" makes you a victim and sets you free of any personal accountability.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I bet you won't think that way if some chick gives you herpes.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This is exactly why free universal healthcare needs to include Valtrex!!

• I'm a drug addict (currently in recovery) and while I don't buy the fact that it's a disease, addicts are DEFINITELY wired differently than your average human.b,121b,121My drugs of choice were pot, alcohol, xanax, and painkillers, and I stayed high 24/7.b,121b,121Drugs feel so good that addicts like myself get tricked into taking them all the time. And once you're getting high every day, you're fucked.b,121b,121Alcohol and benzodiazepine (xanax) withdrawals can kill you if you have a seizure.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    soulstrut is like a drug. b,121b,121at first, it makes you feel good. sooner or later, the replies hit you. you're struggling to find a way out. for the moment, you can't get away from it. in the end you feel super bad an promise yourself to not ever go on such a trip again. b,121b,121i need to become a lurker. it's much healthier. soulstrut is nerve wrecking.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121soulstrut is like a drug.
    b,121
    b,121at first, it makes you feel good. sooner or later, the replies hit you. you're struggling to find a way out. for the moment, you can't get away from it. in the end you feel super bad an promise yourself to not ever go on such a trip again.
    b,121
    b,121i need to become a lurker. it's much healthier. soulstrut is nerve wrecking.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1b,121b,121I lurked for years since around 2002 and only reged a few months back. I should have stayed a lurker.