I had one of those "digging" dreams

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
A secret stash of 45s. 2 hipster white girls getting geeked on the Gap band and shit trying to grab them before I could, and I don't know how to tell them I'm not trying to grab Gap Band records without sounded like a record snob. So yeah, I find this secret stash of 45s, the dude selling says its 100 dollars for 60 45s. So I get to work, out comes the portable and I make 3 stacks. The "definitely" stack, the "maybe" stack, and the "no-way" stack. And then I start listening to the 45s, and whats weird is I remember the music of them. One of them was a surf guitar joint, 1 was a mambo soul type sound. b,121b,121b,121What was weird about it was that I woke up thinking how strange it is that while sleeping my brain would actually be able to invent music to listen too. To not just dream about records but to actually listen to them and have music come out. And that my brain could even create music that I didn't care for to go in the "no-way" pile. I just thought it was interesting.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    yeah, i have those frequently -- both the shangri-la digging experiences and the raer-music fabrications -- and as my musical aptitude is somewhat clumsy, I wake up extremely frustrated that the records don't exist and I can't preserve the music my mind created.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Its too bad those weren't real songs because they were cool.

• I've had dreams like that, a couple months ago I dreamed I found an original pressing of SKULL SNAPS and when I listened to it, it played the song "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies...b,121b,121chickety china, the chinese chicken

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I've had dreams like that, a couple months ago I dreamed I found an original pressing of SKULL SNAPS and when I listened to it, it played the song "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies...
    b,121
    b,121chickety china, the chinese chicken
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!~!!!!!!!! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sscg.gif" alt="" /1

• One of my most bizarre "fake record" dreams was of the fourth studio album by Donny Hathaway. In the real world, it doesn't exist, but in my private mind garden, it sure as hell did. It was called [i]Terror/i1. The cover was a closeup of Donny with a completely shaved head (his moustache was gone too). He had an intense frown on his face. On the record itself, he had given up playing piano and was ranting and screaming about various problems in the ghetto that were pissing him off. Not his usual style.b,121b,121I didn't like it.b,121b,121And then I woke up.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I've had dreams like that, a couple months ago I dreamed I found an original pressing of SKULL SNAPS and when I listened to it, it played the song "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies...
    b,121
    b,121chickety china, the chinese chicken
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121you mean nightmare, not dream methinks.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121One of my most bizarre "fake record" dreams was of the fourth studio album by Donny Hathaway. In the real world, it doesn't exist, but in my private mind garden, it sure as hell did. It was called [i]Terror
    /i1. The cover was a closeup of Donny with a completely shaved head (his moustache was gone too). He had an intense frown on his face. On the record itself, he had given up playing piano and was ranting and screaming about various problems in the ghetto that were pissing him off. Not his usual style.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121there's probably an acetate of that floating around somewhere...

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121A secret stash of 45s. 2 hipster white girls getting geeked on the Gap band and shit trying to grab them before I could, and I don't know how to tell them I'm not trying to grab Gap Band records without sounded like a record snob. So yeah, I find this secret stash of 45s, the dude selling says its 100 dollars for 60 45s. So I get to work, out comes the portable and I make 3 stacks. The "definitely" stack, the "maybe" stack, and the "no-way" stack. And then I start listening to the 45s, and whats weird is I remember the music of them. One of them was a surf guitar joint, 1 was a mambo soul type sound.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121What was weird about it was that I woke up thinking how strange it is that while sleeping my brain would actually be able to invent music to listen too. To not just dream about records but to actually listen to them and have music come out. And that my brain could even create music that I didn't care for to go in the "no-way" pile. I just thought it was interesting.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I own you

• Yea the human mind is crazy. You ever tried improvising a jam with tons of different instruments and shit in your head?

• i have these dreams frequently... either im snatching up mad raers or some soulstrut hipster is grabbing them before i can...i also have them about making beats, they are always quite ill and when i wake up im pissed that they dont really exist

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121A secret stash of 45s. 2 hipster white girls getting geeked on the Gap band and shit trying to grab them before I could, and I don't know how to tell them I'm not trying to grab Gap Band records without sounded like a record snob. So yeah, I find this secret stash of 45s, the dude selling says its 100 dollars for 60 45s. So I get to work, out comes the portable and I make 3 stacks. The "definitely" stack, the "maybe" stack, and the "no-way" stack. And then I start listening to the 45s, and whats weird is I remember the music of them. One of them was a surf guitar joint, 1 was a mambo soul type sound.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121What was weird about it was that I woke up thinking how strange it is that while sleeping my brain would actually be able to invent music to listen too. To not just dream about records but to actually listen to them and have music come out. And that my brain could even create music that I didn't care for to go in the "no-way" pile. I just thought it was interesting.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I own you
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Best one-off alias ever.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I own you
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Best one-off alias ever.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121HOLY SHIT!

• When I hit my head and knocked myself out cold, I remember coming back to conciousness to the sound of dubbed out classical music. It was so beautiful, I wish I could be able to record it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121One of my most bizarre "fake record" dreams was of the fourth studio album by Donny Hathaway. In the real world, it doesn't exist, but in my private mind garden, it sure as hell did. It was called
    Terror. The cover was a closeup of Donny with a completely shaved head (his moustache was gone too). He had an intense frown on his face. On the record itself, he had given up playing piano and was ranting and screaming about various problems in the ghetto that were pissing him off. Not his usual style.b,121b,121I didn't like it.b,121b,121And then I woke up. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121WOWb,121b,121b,121b,121This needs to be actualized Photoshopped.b,121b,121No beret, JP?

• jeejjeej 21 Posts
    That's pretty mad inventing the music in your dream. I tend to forget my dreams as soon as I wake up.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121One of my most bizarre "fake record" dreams was of the fourth studio album by Donny Hathaway. In the real world, it doesn't exist, but in my private mind garden, it sure as hell did. It was called
    Terror. The cover was a closeup of Donny with a completely shaved head (his moustache was gone too). He had an intense frown on his face. On the record itself, he had given up playing piano and was ranting and screaming about various problems in the ghetto that were pissing him off. Not his usual style.b,121b,121I didn't like it.b,121b,121And then I woke up. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121WOW
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This needs to be
    actualized Photoshopped.b,121b,121No beret, JP? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No beret, no Superfly cap. He was thinner, and even though the album was on a major label, it looked like a cheesy private press. Not the usual classy Atlantic Recording Co. graphics.b,121b,121By the way, I DID tell you about the dream I had about a rare Swamp Dogg LP, didn't I? It was a copy of Total Destruction To Your Mind with an alternate cover, where he's standing against a chain-link fence overlooking some kids playing on the sidewalk...

• jeejjeej 21 Posts
    You need to get all Mingering Mike on this shit and get drawing the sleeves!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121WOW
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This needs to be
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121No beret, no Superfly cap. He was thinner, and even though the album was on a major label, it looked like a cheesy private press. Not the usual classy Atlantic Recording Co. graphics.
    b,121
    b,121By the way, I DID tell you about the dream I had about a rare Swamp Dogg LP, didn't I? It was a copy of
    Total Destruction To Your Mind with an alternate cover, where he's standing against a chain-link fence overlooking some kids playing on the sidewalk... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You left out the child-stalker/child-avenger part of it. Sounds like the darkest Jerry Williams humor possible. Of course, after "I Don't Care Anymore," anything's possible.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121WOW
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This needs to be
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121No beret, no Superfly cap. He was thinner, and even though the album was on a major label, it looked like a cheesy private press. Not the usual classy Atlantic Recording Co. graphics.
    b,121
    b,121By the way, I DID tell you about the dream I had about a rare Swamp Dogg LP, didn't I? It was a copy of
    Total Destruction To Your Mind with an alternate cover, where he's standing against a chain-link fence overlooking some kids playing on the sidewalk... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121You left out the child-stalker/child-avenger part of it. Sounds like the darkest Jerry Williams humor possible. Of course, after "I Don't Care Anymore,"
    anything's possible. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It was similar to Hathaway's Everything Is Everything, with the kids holding hands and moving in a circle. Only Swamp didn't join in with the kids like Hathaway did, he just sorta stood off to the side wearing shades and a long overcoat...bizarre, I know...

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121WOW
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This needs to be
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121You left out the child-stalker/child-avenger part of it. Sounds like the darkest Jerry Williams humor possible. Of course, after "I Don't Care Anymore,"
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121It was similar to Hathaway's
    Everything Is Everything, with the kids holding hands and moving in a circle. Only Swamp didn't join in with the kids like Hathaway did, he just sorta stood off to the side wearing shades and a long overcoat...bizarre, I know... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suspect5es.gif" alt="" /1

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121WOW
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This needs to be
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121It was similar to Hathaway's
    Everything Is Everything, with the kids holding hands and moving in a circle. Only Swamp didn't join in with the kids like Hathaway did, he just sorta stood off to the side wearing shades and a long overcoat...bizarre, I know... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'd love to see a Photoshop mash-up of this.