Strutters who wear glasses

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
Just got my first pair of glasses from zennioptical.com. I highly recommend you check this website if you're into paying 20 dollars to get new frames with your scrip in them shipped to your house.

Comments

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Just got my first pair of glasses from zennioptical.com. I highly recommend you check this website if you're into paying 20 dollars to get new frames with your scrip in them shipped to your house.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" /1b,121b,121b,121also, throw some tints on the pair for like 5 dollars and U got prescription sunglasses for under 30

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" /1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm worried about buying glasses I can't try on first!b,121b,121Otherwise, the deals are crazy.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm worried about buying glasses I can't try on first!
    b,121
    b,121Otherwise, the deals are crazy.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121still it's only like 19 dollars at the most. b,121b,121GET YR PUPIL DISTANCE MEASURED PROFESSIONALLY IF U F*ck UP U WILL GO CROSS EYED

• WAIT!!!b,121b,121I cannot understand how you can pick a pair of glasses based on a small picture and data. HOW DOES THAT WORK??? Maybe because I hardly have any nose bridgery (aZn issues) I can only wear certain types of glasses and even then once I bought a pair it takes a little while for me to figure out how to keep them on my face...b,121b,121Now I just sound like I don't know how to pick glasses period. b,121b,121Is there some sort of secret for figuring out how to pick the right pair? Do you just bring them to your local shop to get them adjusted to your face once they come in?b,121b,121 img src="http://zennioptical.com/cart/t_1129.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121WAIT!!!
    b,121
    b,121I cannot understand how you can pick a pair of glasses based on a small picture and data. HOW DOES THAT WORK??? Maybe because I hardly have any nose bridgery (aZn issues) I can only wear certain types of glasses and even then once I bought a pair it takes a little while for me to figure out how to keep them on my face...
    b,121
    b,121Now I just sound like I don't know how to pick glasses period.
    b,121
    b,121Is there some sort of secret for figuring out how to pick the right pair? Do you just bring them to your local shop to get them adjusted to your face once they come in?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I guess you could. They all fit like glasses, really....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For me, i just decided that i would be happy with whatever I picked out. They wound up being a little bit smaller than I thought they'd be (big headedness). But, they give you all the measurements of the frames, so you can just compare them to your current spectacles. b,121b,121If you need to adjust just use a heatgun, or go ghetto style and use a blow dryer.b,121b,121I had someone measure my Pupillary distance and she was only off by one millimeter after i double checked it against my scrip. Use a thread to get the distance, and then measure the thread.

• whoa, thanks for this linkb,121i just lost my pair this last weekend and i have been fusking blind since.b,121so, when i get my new prescription, i will get my pupil distance included?b,121also, i have a big ass head so is there sizes that fit my larger cranium?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm worried about buying glasses I can't try on first!
    b,121
    b,121Otherwise, the deals are crazy.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121font color="orange"1Exactly! Because picking the right pair of glasses is like making the perfect bowl of ramen.!--color--1/font1 b,121b,121b,121But in all seriousness, I am highly suspicious about the quality of these frame/lenses. For a board that will spend $$$ on a record that will get ripped to MP3 and stored away, I would think that you guys would invest a little more into something that sits on your face every day for the rest of your life. Plus, you really should try them on in the store, because you have to account for stuff like how it sits on your nose, how wide your head is, how far apart your eyes are, how the color matches your skin tone, etc. etc. It may look good on paper but could look butt on your face. b,121b,121And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but pupil distance they usually measure in the store when you get your prescription filled, it's so they know where to place the center of the lens in the frames. b,121b,121Also, for adjustments, alot of frame shops will do that for free. They are supposed to do that when fill your prescription anyways. Heatgun/hairdryer is only for plastic frames, and for frames that have them, make sure the nosepads are adjusted properly as well. b,121b,121b,121Ultimately, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Hmmm...I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, and have always had to try on at least 20 different pairs before finding one that was "just right." Maybe that's because I'm a woman and am picky as fusk (comment in the "Women" thread).b,121b,121I switched to contacts a while ago. My dad kept saying "you look like nerd."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I used to work in a frame shop and depending on your prescription, trying them on first can be key to how well you see out of your frames. This is more an issue for folks with bi-focals, but astigmatisms, too, which is not really age-specific.b,121b,121And for the record, both the men and women I helped would try on dozens before coming to the top five or so and then that would go on for a good while, too, to get it down to one.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I tend to trust people who wear glasses more than ones who don't.b,121Why is that?

• My wife has to help me because I can't even really see myself that well when I am trying them on. I don't really know what they look like until I pick them up. I wear glasses everyday so I need to know they fit right before I purchase.

I've needed them since I was a kid and went years seeing but not really seeing because I refused to wear them. And every time I get a new prescription in, it never fails to shock me how i1sharp[/i] the world is. I prefer a soft edge thank you very much. The only thing that looks great defined and crisp is nature. b,121b,121I'm waiting for some benefit plan to fall out of the sky so I can put my new (and expensive) scrip into these, until then, I'm wearing contacts.b,121b,121 img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2901670663_59b949f2bc.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121And every time I get a new prescription in, it never fails to shock me how
    i1sharp[/i] the world is. I prefer a soft edge thank you very much. The only thing that looks great defined and crisp is nature.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Yeah, trees look crazy with new glasses.

lol - you can see every damn leaf!!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    who knows a cheap place to get their eyes tested?b,121i have no insurance.b,121but i reallly need glasses.

• I'm wearing a pair now, I have another pair stock, and 2 pairs of sunglasses from there and they all fit.b,121b,121I am looking to drop some money on a pair of custom made glasses though.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121who knows a cheap place to get their eyes tested?
    b,121i have no insurance.
    b,121but i reallly need glasses.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121not sure where you live, but most big cities have chain frame stores (Lenscrafters) that have reasonably priced eye tests. maybe even free with a purchase?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121lol - you can see every damn leaf!!!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121for years i was unaware that this was possible.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 I am highly suspicious about the quality of these frame/lenses. For a board that will spend $$$ on a record that will get ripped to MP3 and stored away, I would think that you guys would invest a little more into something that sits on your face every day for the rest of your life.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, when glasses cost you $300, you'll likely to want to make absolutely sure you're getting what you want. When glasses cost $20? I could see myself just taking a chance for the hell of it and if they turn out not to be quite what I wanted: I'm only out $20. I've had buyer's remorse on far more expensive glasses that I couldn't exactly return once purchased. b,121b,121I don't have any problems with the quality question: glasses are not inherently expensive objects in terms of material and labor. The reason they cost so much is because optometrists need to pay off their overhead and that means a huge mark-up in the cost. Historically, people haven't had a problem with this because there wasn't another option.b,121b,121Personally, I still prefer to shop for glasses somewhere where I can try them on. But if I had a model number of a pair I liked and could find it online for a fraction of the price? Why not?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    img src="http://moscot.com/img/eyewear/originals/lemtosh_black_clear.jpg"1 b,121b,121i just picked these up from the b,121 a href="http://moscot.com/originals.html" target="_blank"1online moscot site/a1 . i was worried about them not fitting but what i did was go into a local frames store and try to find a similar model with the same measurements. they turned out great.b,121b,121ps: i just started watching 30 rock and i think in the last episode of season 1 where he moves into another town, he's wearing these frames.b,121

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    LASIK

• Yep...gotta love the Moscot!b,121I'm a Nebb wearer, myself. I'm glad I tried them on before buying, because I would have naturally picked the smaller frame size, but once on, the slightly bigger size seemed to work out better. NOT TOO SPENSIVE EITHER!!b,121b,121 img src="http://moscot.com/img/eyewear/originals/nebb_flesh_clr.jpg"1

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121LASIK
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Too $$$ and too inconsistent in results. My cousin is an opthamologist who specializes in lasik and even she cautions against getting it (except for her clients of course).

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121LASIK
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Too $$$ and too inconsistent in results. My cousin is an opthamologist who specializes in lasik and even she cautions against getting it (except for her clients of course).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Oh yeah- my friend just got it done and is screwed up! One eye better, the other worse, so now what does he do??b,121b,121 img src="http://eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/posh-hamster-wallpaper.jpg"1

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got it done and it's been wicked retahded sweet.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I thought about laser eye surgery now that I have a job which offers vision coverage, but I have been weary of it. Glasses have that drawback of worrying about them being crushed in a careless moment, but I have heard horror stores about Lasik (probably scare tactics). Plus, as a geeky kind of guy, it has become one of those accesories that makes me look like I know what I'm talking about and compliments the shape of my face, based what what I have been told by a few people.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The glasses on that site looked janky as hell.b,121But for $20 what do you expect.b,121Plus they were all that super tiny style.b,121I rock big nerd glasses, they didn't have any big'uns on there.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Just got my first pair of glasses from zennioptical.com. I highly recommend you check this website if you're into paying 20 dollars to get new frames with your scrip in them shipped to your house.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I got a $20 backup pair from this site after seeing your plug because I'm always paranoid about losing my expensive frames. I must say I'm really surprised at how good the quality isb,121b,121img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2928136208_a8a1876d57_m.jpg"1b,121b,121$4.95 for the anti-glare coating is insanely cheap. It's usually $60+ with my insurance and you can't beat the $30 option if you want high index lenses. b,121b,121Cpeetz, the pictures aren't good at indicating the size. I like my glasses on the larger lens size too. You have to look at the measurements.b,121b,121I guess the only gamble is not being able to try them on. The good thing for me is that I've been blind as a bat long enough to know what shape and size frames would go well with my giant moon face.b,121b,121