Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    That looks awesome.b,121b,121I saw a book at the bookstore about how to make musical instruments out of gourds, but I don't really have time for that. I wish I did though.b,121b,121Plus, I don't really know where to buy gourds.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121That looks awesome.
    b,121
    b,121I saw a book at the bookstore about how to make musical instruments out of gourds, but I don't really have time for that. I wish I did though.
    b,121
    b,121Plus, I don't really know where to buy gourds.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121grow them. gourd=squash. right now Whole Foods probably has some crazy ones. Sitars are made from pumpkins.b,121b,121PM me for the download.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    well yeah, but then you have to dry them out and shit right? I guess the book probably explained all that but I did not purchase..... pm coming....

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Halloween is here. I bet I could make a pumpkin sitar.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Yeah, you have to cure them. I'm sure it's a little more complicated than just scooping out the guts and putting them in the sun, but who knows.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Its all so very "off the grid".....!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    What's up with you and Banjos? I've got one here under my living room table I haven't learned to play yet. Picked it up a garage sale. From the 50's. I was thinking about going down to Good Time to get lessons. Do you have a better suggestion? Good video or something? I've never played a stringed instrument. Just always loved the sound of banjos.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    If you like banjos, you gotta check out the Sarod (Indian equivalent):b,121b,121img src=http://www.gharanaworld.com/codeM/images/Musical_Instruments/Sarod.jpg1b,121b,121Ustad Ali Akbar Khan is the masthead.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121What's up with you and Banjos? I've got one here under my living room table I haven't learned to play yet. Piced it up a garage sale. From the 50's. I was thinking about going down to Good Time to get lessons. Do you have a better suggestion? Good video or something? I've never played a stringed instrument. Just always loved the sound of banjos.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121What kind of banjo is it? 5 string banjos are for hillbilly music, 4 sting banjos for Irish or "Dixieland" music. If its a 5 string then there are all sorts of tutorials online that you could try to see if you like it. Also a ton of info at a href="http://www.banjohangout.org" target="_blank"1www.banjohangout.org/a1 and then have a monthly drawing too. I'm trying to win that gitjo/banjitar for my friend. How much did you pick it up for? You should take it to Old Time and see if it is in playable condition. b,121b,121Whats up with me and Banjos? I don't know. But I sure do love playing my 4 string tenor Deering goodtime banjo. All other hobbies have ceased.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121If you like banjos, you gotta check out the Sarod (Indian equivalent):
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121Ustad Ali Akbar Khan is the masthead.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I would LOVE to hear this thing in action!

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Its all so very "off the grid".....!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I'm stockpiling calabash as we speak...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121What's up with you and Banjos? I've got one here under my living room table I haven't learned to play yet. Piced it up a garage sale. From the 50's. I was thinking about going down to Good Time to get lessons. Do you have a better suggestion? Good video or something? I've never played a stringed instrument. Just always loved the sound of banjos.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121What kind of banjo is it? 5 string banjos are for hillbilly music, 4 sting banjos for Irish or "Dixieland" music. If its a 5 string then there are all sorts of tutorials online that you could try to see if you like it. Also a ton of info at
    a href="http://www.banjohangout.org" target="_blank"1www.banjohangout.org
    /a1 and then have a monthly drawing too. I'm trying to win that gitjo/banjitar for my friend. How much did you pick it up for? You should take it to Old Time and see if it is in playable condition.
    b,121
    b,121Whats up with me and Banjos? I don't know. But I sure do love playing my 4 string tenor Deering goodtime banjo. All other hobbies have ceased.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Awesome. It's 4-string Holiday with a resonator. I'm nursing a bad back for a while and figured it would be a hobby while I'm getting better. Had you played other stringed instruments before? How long have you been playing?b,121b,121img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2900513196_8facac47e2.jpg"1

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm sure there is plenty out there if you google "ali akbar khan" ".rar"b,121b,121He's got a school in NorCal.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121What kind of banjo is it? 5 string banjos are for hillbilly music, 4 sting banjos for Irish or "Dixieland" music. If its a 5 string then there are all sorts of tutorials online that you could try to see if you like it. Also a ton of info at
    a href="http://www.banjohangout.org" target="_blank"1www.banjohangout.org
    /a1 and then have a monthly drawing too. I'm trying to win that gitjo/banjitar for my friend. How much did you pick it up for? You should take it to Old Time and see if it is in playable condition.
    b,121
    b,121Whats up with me and Banjos? I don't know. But I sure do love playing my 4 string tenor Deering goodtime banjo. All other hobbies have ceased.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Awesome. It's 4-string Holiday with a resonator. I'm nursing a bad back for a while and figured it would be a hobby while I'm getting better. Had you played other stringed instruments before? How long have you been playing?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I can never by looking if something is a tenor or plectrum, but I think that's a tenor...? I play a tenor myself. I've been playing since July, when I got it for my b-day. I guess I'm not that bad for only playing for a few months. Never took a lesson either, but I can play some notes.