font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Man and I have had to listen to some of the most f*cked-up comments on black people more in the past two weeks than in our whole lives when people hear the neighbourhood we're moving to. Until 15-20 yrs ago it was predominantly white and now it's mixed income and demographic, leaning to lower- to middle-class W Indian, African and South/Central American families. I am talking everything from people affecting hand-gestures, a silly walk and yo-yo-yo to "yes, that neighbourhood has really gone downhill." My Moms and I sat in silent shock at the lawyer this morning as he broke it down for us like he was teaching some anthropolgy class circa 1860. I am about to lose my shit.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121and this is toronto the most diverse city in the world
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I know. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I know they're out there, but my world is small, I don't know anyone who thinks like this or, given that we never know what anyone is thinking, says such things or acts them out. But to rephrase Man, these fuckers are everywhere. I guess he has the bad fortune of coming across them more than me. b,121b,121When the lawyer saw that my Mom and me weren't nodding in agreement, he tried to switch gears, talking about similar values amongst classes. I said my piece as quickly and succinctly as I could and changed subjects and we got out of there. At the elevators, my Mom said "If we were black, he would have probably jumped back when he opened the door and saw us." Her attempt at humour left us both frowning.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Hey,
    b,121
    b,121I'll chime in as one of the "Black folks" on the 'Strut. Here are comments that some Whites make that piss me the fusk off:
    b,121
    b,1211. You're not like... (y'all know the rest).
    b,121
    b,121-Always, I consider being a smart-ass and asking, "What are Black people like?" I imagine some White people have very distorted views of Black folks. Most Black people I know (and people in general, for that matter) are hardworking, law-abiding citizens that want peaceful and prosperous lives for themselves and their families. I guess the evening news and other negative stereotypical media sources contribute to exaggerated views of Blacks.
    b,121
    b,1212. I better watch it, you might tell some of your "friends from the ghetto" to get me.
    b,121
    b,121-Um, I grew up in a middle-class setting. Contrary to some White people's opinions, not all Black folks come from the ghetto. Plus, they don't realize that although I have a PhD, I could beat the shit out of them myself. Don't let the slacks and sportcoat fool you!!!
    b,121
    b,1213. You spoke so well.
    b,121
    b,121-Well, I have a doctorate degree so how should I speak? What do they expect, some ole' Buckwheat-esque gibberish to come out of my mouth? I guess all Black people sound like (some) boxers' post-fight interviews.
    b,121
    b,1214. It's really diverse around here.
    b,121
    b,121-That would be fine if the racial composition of the context in question bore this out; however, usually, they say this in a place where you cannot find a non-White person within 1,000,000 miles. I guess they think saying the word diversity begets diversity.
    b,121
    b,1215. Well, being a sexual minority (gay or lesbian), I can relate to your experiences as a (racial) minority in America.
    b,121
    b,121-This statement, in my humble opinion, is utter BULLSHIT!!! The difference is that sexual orientation is an invisible status (unless one behaves stereotypically gay/lesbian) while race, in my case (since I'm a dark mofo), is visible as hell! I can't conceal my race when I enter a room while a person can CHOOSE to reveal his/her sexual orientation. Not to play the "I'm-more-disparaged-than-you" game, but I find it difficult to cast the two issues as equivalent. I don't mean to minimize the discrimination faced by gays/lesbians, but racial and sexual orientation discrimination are cousins not identical twins.
    b,121
    b,121Now, I'll point out some White "mannerisms" that are off-putting.
    b,121
    b,1211. "The shiver"
    b,121
    b,121-This response occurs when you go for an interview, and the interviewer didn't expect me to be Black. The reaction, in my mind, says "Oh my, you're Black!"
    b,121
    b,1212. "The nervous smile."
    b,121
    b,121-This happens in elevators where it's just my big, Black ass and a White woman. The gesture comes across as "Please don't hurt me." My thought in this case is usually something like, "Don't worry, your old, crusty ass has nothing I want."
    b,121
    b,1213. "The treatment."
    b,121
    b,121-The usual scenario involves an interaction with some merchant. Given that I'm not a flamboyant kind of fellow, I usually look rather non-descript. The assumption is that I don't have much, so I'm not worth the time to provide high-quality service. Or, the reverse occurs at times when they watch my ass like I'm "Sticky Finguz" or something. When they ask the survey questions for customer tracking (e.g., profession) at the register and I say "Professor," then they get all friendly and shit. The same thing happens during instances when they have to run credit. What, all Black folks have fusked-up credit or something?
    b,121
    b,1214. "Shock and awe."
    b,121
    b,121-I run into this when I display acts of gentility such as saying "Pardon me, sir" or holding the door for an older lady. The response typically involves a "thank you" with a look of shock on their faces, as it is "other-worldly" that I showed them some common courtesy. What did they expect, that I would point a gun at them and rob them, or maybe something like "Get out the way, muthafucka"? Or, are Black folks considered as generally rude? I haven't figured out this reaction.
    b,121
    b,121Peace,
    b,121
    b,121Big Stacks from Kakalak
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121....damn all of this is very true..... I even get some of this from other black folk and here in Northeast Ohio other record dudes didn't know I was black until they met me even other black record dealers....apparently there are not alot of black cats in the record game?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121here in Northeast Ohio other record dudes didn't know I was black until they met me even other black record dealers....apparently there are not alot of black cats in the record game?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Every time I hit a record show, the dealers get a load of me, a 6'2 black guy slinging a record bag on my shoulder, and assume that I'm looking for 12" disco singles (and I'm not). It never fails. And I'm not talking about the record conventions in the city, where it's indie-hipster types (and a lot more females), but out in the suburbs, where it's old crusty doo-wop guys (and nothing with a vagina for miles around).

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Man and I have had to listen to some of the most f*cked-up comments on black people more in the past two weeks than in our whole lives when people hear the neighbourhood we're moving to. Until 15-20 yrs ago it was predominantly white and now it's mixed income and demographic, leaning to lower- to middle-class W Indian, African and South/Central American families. I am talking everything from people affecting hand-gestures, a silly walk and yo-yo-yo to "yes, that neighbourhood has really gone downhill." My Moms and I sat in silent shock at the lawyer this morning as he broke it down for us like he was teaching some anthropolgy class circa 1860. I am about to lose my shit.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121out of curiousity, what place in toronto is this? reminds me of how people describe etobicoke
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121lol - bingo!
    b,121
    b,121Jane and Lawrence.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121too funny, i grew up in etobicoke and moved to vaughan in high school and i couldn't believe how backwards people were there in their attitudes(then again i lived in gino-ville). recently i moved back to etobicoke and everyones like "you sure you'l be safe?" lmao, etobicoke. really people? i dont understand how people will think parkdale and etobicoke are worlds apart i mean in terms of ethnicity. i'm gonna be moving to the junction in some time, looking forward to that, i really like the neighborhood.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Big Stacks you always make me crack up when u post in these threads cause u really summarize it "so well", like some stuff i go through,just like as mention, though im not black. b,121b,121a funny experience i tend to go through at say a suit store is like people will assume i want ties with silk made in india, or they'l want to tell me how they sold some suits in the store to a really nice "indian fellow". great, why the F*ck are they telling me? do they think im gonna be like, "oh word, indians shop here, i'l take everything."b,121b,121some of my non-colored friends don't understand what's so odd about this, and think that people are just trying to be nice with those comments, and i have to explain it them sometimes; "...imagine you went to an indian restaurant and the waiter says to you 'oh, i know a white guy in the neigborhood that delievers mail. he doesn't say much but he's a really nice guy.'" that's how out of place it feels, there's no "curb your enthusiasm" for colored folk, its everyday life! hahab,121b,121b,121"um ya...no i don't know yoga...kamasutra though, that i can help you with"b,121shit, im patenting that on a shirt.b,121b,121b,121i think one of the funniest shocked-but-trying-to-remain-calm-faces is the look of someone that meets you for the first time under the impression you had different pigmentation.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121i think one of the funniest shocked-but-trying-to-remain-calm-faces is the look of someone that meets you for the first time under the impression you had different pigmentation.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121they call that the "Faux-Rills Effect".