What happened to movie soundtracks!?

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
There are not many good ones nowadays!b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121Most of the soundtracks use some various artist. Sometimes the artists selection on a OST is great but sometimes I don't know what dudes were thinking...b,121b,121I like the idea of a soundtrack composed by one person. That kind of gives you a certain feeling when watching a movie. The OST for the movie U-Turn was so dope!b,121All done by the master himself Enrico Morricone.

Comments

• mad true... but i'll give a hall pass to the superbad soundtrack cause, yo.

• This is sad but true, but the cutting edge of1sound tracks is on TV, usually genre TV.b,121b,121Check out Bear McCreary:b,121a href="http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/" target="_blank"1http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog//a1b,121b,121His work on Battlestar Galactica is amazing and you can get some of the score on CD. The only jarring note is the Pegasus guitar jangle stuff, that just felt out of place.b,121b,121He is doing work on Eureka but that is more kitschy.b,121b,121I haven't been paying attention to the score to the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles so I don't know if that work stands out. I guess it good that the music doesn't get in the way of the show.b,121b,121I would say if you can find a show on a network that isn't trying to tie its sound track into its music division you have a decent chance to find some good music.b,121b,121I will agree that there is a drought of1good Sound Track scores out there right now.

• Inland Empire

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There Will Be Blood had a score, but I was not a big fan of it.b,121b,121Still, it was at least inventive and not a various artists compilation.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I thought Jon Brion's score for "Punch Drunk Love" was interesting and good.b,121Johnny Greenwoods music for "There Will Be Blood" would be another recent example of an interesting score (even if he was co-opting Arvo P??rt and Brahms or whatever).b,121b,121But, yeah, it seems that Hollywod's music choices are becoming more and more formulaic. It's either compilations of1already existing music (be it tried-and-tested hits or "quirky and offbeat") or clich??-ridden scores.1b,121b,121Child related? Cue Danny Elfman glockenspiel and spooky kiddie choir.b,121War related? Cue symphony orchestra bombast with timpani a plenty.1b,121Action/Video game related? Cue Prodigy aggro bigbeat facsimile.b,121Drama related? Sappy stringsstringsstringsstrings. YOU MUST CRY NOW!b,121b,121I actually don't mind musical clich??s, but it's when what you're watching on the screen is one big clich?? too it becomes too much spoon feeding for me. And Hollywood has become increasingly lazy in the storytelling department the last 5-10 years, so I think the weaknesses of the scores become more transparent.

• Some scores sitting on my shelf (definitely older):b,121b,121ul type="square"1Passion - Peter Gabrielb,121Passion Sources - Various. This is the source music Peter used for Passion.b,121Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Tan Dun and Yo-Yo Mab,121Latcho Drom - Various. Gypsy music from around the world.b,121Baraka - Michael Sternsb,121Bladerunner - Vangelis/ul1b,121b,121I had the vinyl for Sorcerer by Tangerine Dream.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I thought Jon Brion's score for "Punch Drunk Love" was interesting and good.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Plus he gets forever props for using this:b,121b,121a href="" target="_blank"1 I love this song.

• I've been thinking the same thing. What if you just got one band to do the whole thing? Like the Dead Man OST, even if it is going to be difficult to imitate Neil Young's work ethic on that one.b,121b,121That being said, there are some comp-soundtracks that easily stand out, and really create an amazing feel in a film, like the Lost in Translation disc. Easily one of my favourite soundtracks ever, even if it is just a comp.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Although it wasn't the only music used in the picture Air's score for Virgin Suicides played a massive part in the feel of the film.

• How could I forget this?b,121b,121 img src="http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/mailer/CPKBLOODS.jpg"11b,121b,121Never seen the film, but the music is... how to put this..b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121How could I forget this?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121Never seen the film, but the music is... how to put this..
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" 211
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I think there wasn't even a movie to this OST

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    There Will Be Blood had a score, but I was not a big fan of it.b,121b,121Still, it was at least inventive and not a various artists compilation.1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Do you know what happened to Dave Grusin ost for Friends of Eddie Coyle ? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    There Will Be Blood had a score, but I was not a big fan of it.b,121b,121Still, it was at least inventive and not a various artists compilation.1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That was1the first thing that came to mind for me. I was really into the score, but I'm also a fan of early American Minimalism, which the score seemed to take a heavy cue from. I think it was one of the dudes from radiohead, perhaps a guitar playing dude.b,121b,121*If we're talking historically, then definitely Popol Vuh's (really Florian Fricke, I think) work with Werner Herzog is clutch,b,121b,121And more recently, Herzog really brought it with the ST for Grizzly Man. The DVD's bonus section shows how it was done. He hired four musicians that he really respected, and basically directed them in the studio. The result was incredible. The music for all of his films plays a huge part.b,121b,121What about the recent Batman movies? The last one is far more vivid for me, but those two on the thatres' big old thangs?

• Unfortunately, only the stupid raps tracks from "Hustle and Flow" were released as the soundtrack...the score, performed by The Bo Keys, is fuggin bad ass...dont know if it will ever see a release, it should though. The composer/arranger, Scott Bomar, Bo-keys band leader, pressed some CDs of it, but got in a little trouble from the studio. I have no idea why the studio wont release it properly.b,121b,121The best soundtrack in the last 10 years IMO is "City of God"

• I liked some of John Williams' recent work -- an almost Alien-style Goldsmith touch on War of1the Worlds and his spy-style theme on Catch Me If You Can.b,121b,121Cosign on Brion and Greenwood -- not necessary digging all of it, but I can appreciate the inventiveness of1trying something a bit different.

• Another one that comes to mind is Philip Glass' score for Erol Morris' i1The Fog of War[/i] -- very effective for the film, and can be enjoyed on its own right as well. Glancing at his IMDB page, looks like Glass has been fairly active on that front.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I ride for Glass's Candyman and Kundun scores.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wassup Rockers' soundtrack full of hardcore is my favourite of1recent years - not counting music docs. That has not been released to my knowledge...and if1it has - tell me where I can get it!

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    i1There Will Be Blood[/i] had a score, but I was not a big fan of it.
    b,121
    b,121Still, it was at least inventive and not a various artists compilation.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Most people either loved1the score or hated it. I loved1it. I hope PT Anderson and Jonny Greenwood work together again.b,121b,121I like the stuff Carter Burwell does for the Coen Brothers but I must confess I don't know his work outside of their circles.1b,121b,121Ennio Morricone will always be the master.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Claire Denis uses Tindersticks a lot and though I am not a regular fan, their atmospheric music definitely works in her movies.b,121b,121As far as VA goes, Jarmusch has great taste imo.b,121b,121Not that recent, but Head-On has amazing music - Turkish ballads, Wendy Rene's After Laughter and Sisters of1Mercy!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Another one that comes to mind is Philip Glass' score for Erol Morris'
    i1The Fog of War[/i] -- very effective for the film, and can be enjoyed on its own right as well. Glancing at his IMDB page, looks like Glass has been fairly active on that front.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It's a huge part of1his ouevre. I highly recommend1the score from Mishima. If I digitize it any time soon I'll post it up. It is one of1his more unique works, and features a few1pieces for traditional jazz ensemble with amplified violin.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121All done by the master himself Enrico Morricone.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think dude gets enough credit for his style.1 I used to look for OST's just to sample, but Ennio's stuff made me just want to listen to the music more than work on a beat.1 Many times I've just zoned out to his music.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    i1There Will Be Blood[/i] had a score, but I was not a big fan of it.
    b,121
    b,121Still, it was at least inventive and not a various artists1compilation.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Most people either loved the score or hated it. I loved it. I hope PT Anderson and Jonny Greenwood work together again.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The music was good, but it was poorly used in the film. Fans of this should check out Jonny Greenwood's score for i1Bodysong[/i]. Worth a used snag.

• snosno 332 Posts
    The music by Brian Reitzell and Explosions in the Sky is perfect in "Friday Night Lights". Some of the tracks are rework of their "The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place" album and the1majority of the rest of the album are music composed specifically for the film.b,121img src="http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/images/record_covers/fnl.jpg"1