Off The Wall vs. Thriller???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
Off The Wall vs. Thriller. Who you got and why?

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Off The Wall
    tough call...
    I was gunna say "Rock With You" takes it by a nose over "Billie Jean"
    but
    its hard to compete with these back-to-back...Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Human Nature, P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Thriller. 27 million vs. 7 million.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Off The Wall is more uplifting, good times feeling music.
    Thriller was more catchy, but not as slick...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Sales? BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!

I go w/ Off The Wall any day. OTW has a more organic feel IMO. His MTV videos really helped sell Thriller. I feel like MJ was still a Jackson brother on OTW("more real"). Thriller is his "breakout album" but OTW feels less choreographed.
    Alot of cats weren't even checkin' MJ until Thriller. He still hasnt topped OTW artistically.IMO.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Those are just US numbers tho right? Ain't Thriller sold like 50 worldwide?

Those are just US numbers tho right? Ain't Thriller sold like 50 worldwide?

yep

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Off the wall. Jacksons Triumph and Destiny is up there with both of them though.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Off the Wall- I just like it more because its

Off the wall. Jacksons Triumph and Destiny is up there with both of them though.
    CoSign.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

CoSign.

Yup.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Off The Wall...simply b/c I don't think Thriller's "The Girl Is Mine," "Thriller," and "Beat It" have aged particularly well. The other cuts are killer classics, though.

SG

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    OTW. But I do understand why "Thriller" was the bigger album. Both of them are incredible albums, though, pretty much from start to finish ("The Girl Is Mine" is really the only dud I can think of on either album, and I can't say I totally hate that either- Mike's "I'm a lover, not a fighter line" is kinda classic).

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Dam, I just had this talk last week with "Peacefull Ro" and "HoggintheFogg". I'll go with OFF THE WALL. That shit is just way more soulfull. Don't get me wrong "Thriller" is a dope album (even thouhg it's got fucking "Thriller" and "Beat It"), but I just prefer Off The Wall.

MODERNSOUL BOOGER BOOGIE RAER

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Dam, I just had this talk last week with "Peacefull Ro" and "HoggintheFogg". I'll go with OFF THE WALL. That shit is just way more soulfull. Don't get me wrong "Thriller" is a dope album (even thouhg it's got fucking "Thriller" and "Beat It"), but I just prefer Off The Wall.

Come to think of it, I did hate the song "Thriller" until the video came out. He took it so much to the next level with the vid that I couldn't help getting into the song after that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Thriller

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Off The Wall without a doubt, both musically and the for time it takes me back to.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    gotta say thriller. i was a little young for OTW . plus the whole mini movie vid killed it.
    ola ray 4ever. peace, stein. . . .

gotta say thriller. i was a little young for OTW . plus the whole mini movie vid killed it.
    ola ray 4ever. peace, stein. . . .

I figured this post would be divided by age. Thriller really baptised alot of heads back then. Visual based choices...........hmmm? I remember listening to OTW w/ the gatefold open against my shelf. Just staring at the blue/pink/yellow fonts,st8 hypnotized. Lip synching the whole LP.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I wasn't born when Off The Wall came out, but I just remember the album being constantly rocked in my home. Moreso than Thriller when it came out.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

I figured this post would be divided by age. Thriller really baptised alot of heads back then. Visual based choices...........hmmm? I remember listening to OTW w/ the gatefold open against my shelf. Just staring at the blue/pink/yellow fonts,st8 hypnotized. Lip synching the whole LP. had to base it on visuals because both albums music is 100%. . . . its like trying to choose between step in the arena and daily operation. peace, stein. . . . .

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    OMFG

I know its so fucking easy to say that Mike changed music.. but for me as a child growing up in the eighties.. when I saw Thriller on tv and then got the album it changed me.. can anyone say that it was not an incredible to have that as a base for music growing up?! Damn... fully on meaning alone I have to say Thriller.. It molded me to what I wanted to hear.. those baselines and synth hits... genius.. something magical happened in the recording studio..

plus that inner album shot of Mike with the tiger is so pimp

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I figured this post would be divided by age. Thriller really baptised alot of heads back then.
    for me, thriller was sooo hyped & everywhere, radio , tv, making of the video, the video,
    (i must have been slinging wax at sam goody back in the day, hearing it in my sleep)
    didn't own either , or need to, you could not NOT hear them tunes
    i vote for otw just cause i don't remember it being in my face as much

but, p.y.t. is the track,

plus that inner album shot of Mike with the tiger is so

what you didn't have a Thriller poster when you where a child... I'm saying that was cool to me when I was like 8.

TOO COOL

what you didn't have a Thriller poster when you where a child... I'm saying that was cool to me when I was like 8.

TOO COOL

Hell no.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    one of my earliest childhood memories is going to a friend's house, watching thriller video and being scared as phuck...then we watched the making of the video

one of my earliest childhood memories is going to a friend's house, watching thriller video and being scared as phuck...then we watched the making of the video

the making cool as shit.. I had that on VHS for a long time

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Thriller...because it's better

• I am seriously digging Off the Wall right now... picked up two 45s on the cheap from the LP recently that I just neglected for too long. He has seriously got "massive pop hook" in the vice grip.

Has Thriller become the official song for Halloween?