who in the music biz has actually stayed retired??

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    i can't beleive it took me this long:

Captain Beefheart

nada, zip, zilch since the retirement.

I think he put out a song last year, it was only like 30 seconds long. True Beefheart style haha.

he is also really really sick with MS...dude has a good excuse

Ha! "fuck a musician retiring, unless he's crippled or dying or something."

hug a nut paychump

AWESOME.

This site is about discussion. If you can't deal with opinions contrary to yours, maybe you should take another 24-hour "vacation". Isn't that kind of like a time-out?

oh yes sir Mr. Paycheck, yes sir, I will do as you say, I forget how much you know about everything...thanks for clearing that up.

hey! Captain Beefheart is fucking SICK man, he didn't retire because he wanted to it's cause he fucking HAD to! If it wasn't for that goddamn MS, he'd still be shredding today man, TODAY![/b]

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    i can't beleive it took me this long:

Captain Beefheart

nada, zip, zilch since the retirement.

I think he put out a song last year, it was only like 30 seconds long. True Beefheart style haha.

he is also really really sick with MS...dude has a good excuse

Ha! "fuck a musician retiring, unless he's crippled or dying or something."

hug a nut paychump

AWESOME.

This site is about discussion. If you can't deal with opinions contrary to yours, maybe you should take another 24-hour "vacation". Isn't that kind of like a time-out?

oh yes sir Mr. Paycheck, yes sir, I will do as you say, I forget how much you know about everything...thanks for clearing that up.

hey! Captain Beefheart is fucking SICK man, he didn't retire because he wanted to it's cause he fucking HAD to! If it wasn't for that goddamn MS, he'd still be shredding today man, TODAY![/b]

who needs a time out and some juice...perhaps a nap?

• At the risk of stepping into the woodchipper, I thought Beefheart retired to be an artist (MS being an unfortunate piece of post-retirement bad luck)...

At the risk of stepping into the woodchipper, I though Beefheart retired to be an artist (MS being an unfortunate piece of post-retirement bad luck)...

regardless, he has not contributed to popular music half as much as jay-z or eminem, I mean those dudes were at it, for shit, almost a decade...did you know that is ten years?!!? jeez.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Betty Harris stayed retired for over 30 years until this year's New Orleans fest...I don't know if she's staying active now, or if it was a one-time thing, but that was a pretty good stretch.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Bill Withers??

I think this entry got lost in the sauce.
    I don't think he tours,records or does much of anything music business related (outside of approving samples) in many a moon.
    RETIRED.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    where are the dead guy jokes?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    where are the dead guy jokes?

He ain't retired yet!

At the risk of stepping into the woodchipper, I though Beefheart retired to be an artist (MS being an unfortunate piece of post-retirement bad luck)...

regardless, he has not contributed to popular music half as much as jay-z or eminem, I mean those dudes were at it, for shit, almost a decade...did you know that is ten years?!!? jeez.

Actually I met his (former) manager the other week... who agreed, he really didn't mean shit to popular music.

But don't let that stop you from hating.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Bobbie Gentry

Actually I met his (former) manager the other week... who agreed, he really didn't mean shit to popular music.

yeah, sonic youth, the minutemen, Pil, and a bunch of other punk, post punk and alternative acts have never claimed him as a big influence.

But dont let that stop you from talking about shit you think you know everything about.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wouldn't truly call Sonic Youth, PIL & The Minutemen "POP MUSIC" dog...

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Jay Z's career was considerably longer than a decade.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i wouldn't put PIL in the same category as the youth or minutemen.

Lydon is most definatly a pop culture icon.. and had multiple 10 ten hits in two bands over a twenty + year career.

which is alot more than that hippy thruston moore can say.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

His first record was like 1986, right?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Bill Withers??

I think this entry got lost in the sauce.
    I don't think he tours,records or does much of anything music business related (outside of approving samples) in many a moon.
    RETIRED.

Yeah, I'm surprised more folks on here haven't mentioned this. My homegirl is a big fan of his, and read an interview with him a year or two ago. Homeboy is a CARPENTER now. Still lives in LA. When asked "why did you stop making albums?" his reply was:
    "I said all I had to say, so I moved on to the next phase of my life" (or something along those lines).

from VH1.com:

"Withers' last charting LP was Watching You, Watching Me in spring 1985. He occasionally did dates with Grover Washington, Jr. during the '90s. His songs and recordings have been used as both the source of numerous covers (Aaron Neville's "Use Me") and sampled by a multitude of hip-hop/rap groups. ~ Ed Hogan, All Music Guide "

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

i wouldn't put PIL in the same category as the youth or minutemen.

Lydon is most definatly a pop culture icon.. and had multiple 10 ten hits in two bands over a twenty + year career.

which is alot more than that hippy thruston moore can say.

Indeed, yeah I'll agree to that.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Vanilla Ice?

I don't think he tours,records or does much of anything music business related (outside of having samples violently extorted from him[/b]) in many a moon.
    RETIRED.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

In the UK, right? 'Cause he definitely wasn't a Top 10 presence in the States (PIL on American Bandstand notwithstanding).

yeah, sonic youth, the minutemen, Pil, and a bunch of other punk, post punk and alternative acts have never claimed him as a big influence.

But dont let that stop you from talking about shit you think you know everything about.

Like you with hip-hop? Funny that...

You did say pop music...

But again, don't let that stop the hate train brother. You clearly have some shit to get off your chest...

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Terminator X.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Wholeweat- unrelated to this thread, but just tried sending you a PM but could not because it says you're not accepting. Change your settings and drop me another note.

Thanks.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Wholeweat- unrelated to this thread, but just tried sending you a PM but could not because it says you're not accepting. Change your settings and drop me another note.

Thanks.

Problem should be remedied.

Thank you.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Elvis, 2Pac, and BIG.