GUITAR for dummies HELP!

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
sorry in advance if this is really stupid. i've been playing guitar for about 6 months and i know all the chords on the far frets(on the tuner end). you rarely see anyone on TV playing chords this way they usually play inversions(closer to where you pick). how do i learn how to play like the real guitar players? thanks and sorry for the stupidity.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    This is a simple answer and someone else could probably explain it better, but I think you're talking about bar (or "power")chords. Make the same chords with your three fingers besides your index finger and lay your index finger flat along all the strings, allowing you to play that same chord anywhere on the neck.

• yeah pretty much what 2ply said: do an E chord but use your index finger as a fret.

like this:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    This is a simple answer and someone else could probably explain it better, but I think you're talking about bar (or "power")chords. Make the same chords with your three fingers besides your index finger and lay your index finger flat along all the strings, allowing you to play that same chord anywhere on the neck.

"barre"

F major pictured above. remove your middle finger and it's F minor. Slide it up and down the neck and it's a whole lotta different chords... i wouldn't bother with this. just skip straight to sweep picked arpeggios and tapping, like my hero!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    WORD, p gunn. .thanks for the michael angelo demo. i'd like to play like angus someday. peace, stein. . .

• asscheeseasscheese 15 Posts
    the best way to really learn the instrument, is to go through and find where all of the notes are, for example, you can play an E (the note not the chord) in all of these spots

For the note E-
    String/ Fret Number
    6/ Open (0) (or 12th fret)
    5/ 7th fret
    4/ 2nd fret
    3/ 9th fret
    2/ 5th fret
    1/ open (or 12th fret)

If you do this with all of the notes (there are 12 of them) then you can learn which notes are in which chord (for example, in a G major chord, the notes are G B D), then you can find a G and B and a D anywhere on the guitar and play a G chord. There are also systems of string groups and voicings where you can go through the instrument methodically with each chord (each 4 note chord on a normal sized guitar has at least 24 ways to play it).

Here are all twelve tones in order (starting with E)

E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb (E)
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 -- Fret Number for each tone on the low E or high E String

if you need anymore help, let me know..

Rob