Is it JUST MY IMAGINATION?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I think it might be. I've always thought that it was Smokey Robinson & The Miracles that did the OG version of "Just My Imagination" but for some reason I cannot find a copy of that shit anywhere. On Soulseex there's no version of, and I've checked dammit. Even when I Google it there's no word of, only the version by The Temps.Anyway, is it just my imagination? I swear it isn't. Anyway, please clear this up for me...... or to just cut to the chase, if ANYONE can come up off of an MP3 of the Smokey version my lady would be MUCH APPRECIATIVE, as would I.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Reraal frecking LIVELY up in hurr.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    WE GET 'PUTERS 'PUTIN'

HI C*SM*

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I want to say you were imagining it, but the way Motown artists all do their own versions of the same Motown hits makes it hard for me to say 100 percent NO.

Still, if he did a version, it must be pretty scarce because it doesn't come up in any searches...maybe he did it live on the "Motown 25" TV special or something??

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I had this in my head last week but with a different song. My song in question is "I'm Your Puppet" I always thought the version I heard everywhere...the James & Bobby Purify one but it is not. Dan Penn made the original that in my opinion is better and much more soulful. I don't know.

• LempoLempo 22 Posts
    Mel & Tim version maybe?

• I don't believe that Smokey's ever done a version of this and, if he has, I've never heard it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hey there cosmo! i think its by the temptations.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It is--but he's wondering if there was an earlier less successful version by the Miracles.

oh, oops. tell him, "oh, oops."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

It is--but he's wondering if there was an earlier less successful version by the Miracles.

oh, oops. tell him, "oh, oops."

Got it, Shig.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yo Cos' here's what it says on allmusic about that particular song.

"Hitting the top of the charts early in 1971, "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" was one of the Temptations' last great hit singles ??? their last Top Ten hit, "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," reached the peak position a year later ??? but it's hardly a last gasp. Instead, this song is one of their stone classics, ranking right next to such seminal '60s hits as "The Way You Do the Things You Do," "My Girl," "Ain't too Proud to Beg," and "(I Know) I'm Losing You." Credit must be given to Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield, who wrote a terrific song, filled with telling details: the narrator fantasizes about the girl he has crush on, not just the courtship but the family they'll raise, even as he knows it's all part of his imagination. Appropriately, the Temptations' performance has a dream-like quality, quietly drifting through the singer's hopes and desires. The sentiments were universal and they were wedded to music that was seductive, smooth soul, opening it up to numerous covers. During his fusion years, Donald Byrd cut a mild funk version; Larry Carlton did a smooth jazz instrumental; Ted Hawkins interpreted in his best acoustic- Otis Redding fashion. All of these were faithful to the spirit of the Temptations' original[/b], but the Rolling Stones threw a change-up (as they were wont to do) on their 1978 cover. Kicking up the tempo and turning up the guitars, the Stones made a gloriously ragged version that turned the song inside out. Where the Temptations sounded wistful, Mick Jagger was lascivious, a feeling only emphasized by the Stones' rough-edged backing vocals. Where the Temptations soothed, the Stones rocked ??? and while that might not necessarily be a better performances (partisans would certainly argue that it may be better), it does prove that Strong and Whitfield wrote a classic song, open to a variety of interpretations."

sounds like the Temptations version was the original. I know Eddie Kendricks did a version too, is that the one you're thinking of?

let me know if you find it though. ive never heard of a version but im not really the one to ask.

• JUST MY IMAGINATION (RUNNING AWAY WITH ME)
    Performed by the Temptations
    Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
    (C)1971 Stone Agate Music (BMI)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck am I losing my mind?

I'm hearing a completely different arrangement in my head, and have been for a couple months now.

• It looks like Bobby Womack has a version, and perhaps Rance Allen?

• Terry Callier also has a version.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Please make it stop.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Dan Penn may have written "I'm Your Puppet," but I don't reckon he recorded it till the nineties. So I don't think his version is the "original," unless you have access to some rare demo tapes or something.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dan Penn may have written "I'm Your Puppet," but I don't reckon he recorded it till the nineties. So I don't think his version is the "original," unless you have access to some rare demo tapes or something.

Actually, he released it on an MGM 45 in the late 60's. Artifactor found a copy just last week, which is why he brought it up, I think:

Dan Penn's 60's & early 70's recordings are really excellent, straddling the borders of country & soul music as well or better than just about anyone else at the time. They are also HELLA RAER!

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Exactly. Thanks SoulOnIce. Ya the 90's version he released sounded it's not the same one on the 45. I will post the song when I get time. One thing I noticed is in the original he says "I'm the puppet" a few times and in the Bobby Purify one it always says "I'm your puppet". I don't know.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i believe the original version was by babyface and gwenythy paltrow