Vegas Shuffle Cancelled?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
w e a k.

I go to the site to buy my tickets and see:

Due to low ticket booking volume, the Vegas Shuffle Event has been CANCELLED for this year.

Thank you to all those who did book tickets and vendor space. Refunds are being processed.[/b]

For those that don't know about it, here's what was scheduled:

Vegas Shuffle is 3 days of the best in Northern Soul & Funk spun by some of the hottest DJs from around the world!

Vegas Shuffle takes place in Las Vegas - July 29-31, 2005

DJ LINE-UP

Keb Darge,Terry Davies, Jazzman Gerald, Kenny Burrell, James Trouble, Fryer, Ginger Taylor, Carl Willingham, Daisuke Kuroda, Maskman, Dave Rimmer, Mark Bicknell, Miles Tackett - (Breakastra), Mike Robinson, Mike Vague, Daddy Bones, Cool Chris, John Doe, Danny Holloway, George Rodriguez, Phast Phreddie, Mr. Fine Wine, Mr. Soul Satisfaction, Orb, Senor Amor & Keynaan.

Special Guests...Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings[/b]

Plus other live acts to be announced!

For more info go here http://www.vegasshuffle.net

Tickets and hotel rooms can all be bought and booked on our totally secure website.

Tickets are selling fast so book today![/b]

Apparently not, eh?

That's too bad. Can an event like this ever go off outside of the UK???

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, it sucks, they didnt even give it a chance...they cancelled that shit back in April. I cant believe thay thought folks were going to buy their show tickets, airline tickets and book a hotel 8 to 12 months ahead of time.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    whoa, i'm way late then.

April??? that's just stupid.

• Yeah, no balls or faith whatsoever on the promoters part....

Heartbreaking because I thought I might get a chance to see Sharon Jones & Dap Kings in my own backyard instead having to drive to CA or fly to NY...

to quote: w e a k

• I guess I have to keep setteling for the same lame-ass scooter ralleys they have here every year...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Can an event like this ever go off outside of the UK???

Hopefully, yes!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

These aren't strictly funk events but neither was Vegas Shuffle:

Oct 15-16, 2005 - Orlando FLA

HITSVILLE SOUL CLUB ALL NIGHTER

Greg Tormo - NJ

Mike Markesich (The Deacon Of Dead Wax) - CT

Brian Poust - GA

Miss Shing-A-Ling - NY

Mike Umholtz - CA

Alan Pollard - United Kingdom

Russ Vickers - UK via VA

Midnite Cowbwoy - NC

Dave Moore - FL

SoulManJan - FL

http://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Jan 2006, NC - Date TBA

INCRIMINATORS SC WEEKENDER

Tentative Lineup:

Brian Poust - GA

Terry Holloway - GA

Russ Vickers - UK via VA

Midnite Cowbwoy - NC

DJ Marco - NC

Ty Jesso - RI

Sire Troy - VA

Feb 2-4, 2006 - NYC

REACTION WEEKENDER

Rob Bailey - UK

Josh Styles - NYC

Tony the Tiger - L.A.

Mr. Finewine - NYC

Richard Karstrom - SWEDEN

Todd-O-Phonic - NJ

Ty Jesso - RI

Billy Miller - NYC

Michael Robinson - NYC

Lord Julian - FRANCE

Jaime Kozyra - NYC

[url=http://www.smashedblocked.com/reaction.html]http://www.smashedblocked.com/reaction.html

And of course whatever monthly soul DJ event is in your city...

Rhythm & Booze - ATL

Immediate - Philly

SmashedBlocked - NYC

Solid! - Durham NC

The Hustle - Charlotte, NC

Sheer Magic - Chicago

The Soul Hole - Milwaukee

And many many more!

Remember, if people can't be bothered to support a local funk/soul night on a regular basis, it makes it that much more difficult to pull off a huge event like Vegas Shuffle. We just saw Keb Darge in Charlotte NC this past weekend and he got a crowd of about 70 people, but apparently he only drew 15 people in Florida and his Atlanta show wasn't a massive party either.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Support your local soul night, folls!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    We just saw Keb Darge in Charlotte NC this past weekend and he got a crowd of about 70 people, but apparently he only drew 15 people in Florida and his Atlanta show wasn't a massive party either

lack of publicity, interest, competing events,
    15 people ?!?!

• i guess no one wanted to see a bunch of tweeked-out, fat, disgusting guys with bad teeth hanging around with little record cases.

M.O.T.E.D.

JUST KIDDING

lol

i guess no one wanted to see a bunch of tweeked-out, fat, disgusting guys with bad teeth hanging around with little record cases

don't forget all the solo funny dance groove moves when they cut the rug

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Heartbreaking because I thought I might get a chance to see Sharon Jones & Dap Kings in my own backyard instead having to drive to CA or fly to NY...

Hey, they don't play in NYC much at all these days.... something to do with the lack of support at gigs I believe!

i guess no one wanted to see a bunch of tweeked-out, fat, disgusting guys with bad teeth hanging around with little record cases.

Much to my surprise, the crowd for the Keb show (and afterparty) in Charlotte was almost 50% twentysomething girls who dressed nice and loved to dance. They weren't all busted either.

We just saw Keb Darge in Charlotte NC this past weekend and he got a crowd of about 70 people, but apparently he only drew 15 people in Florida and his Atlanta show wasn't a massive party either

15 people ?!?!

That's about how many came to see Guy Hennigan when he span at my night. Competing events = some new sushi-tapas-bistro with open bar and iPod DJ.

Not all venues can afford to pay out the ayass for promo and open bar, and even then the economics will bite them back there in the long run as the sheeple just run to the next new spot.

To a certain extent, there's a lack of interest in pretty much everything these days. I blame television and Clear Channel!

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Much to my surprise, the crowd for the Keb show (and afterparty) in Charlotte was almost 50% twentysomething girls who dressed nice and loved to dance. They weren't all busted either.

Well....Buddy *did* promise a good female to male ratio! But beyond that, Charlotte was fun as hell, even if it did take us 45 minutes to get to an after party that was probably just a few miles away....

But beyond that, Charlotte was fun as hell, even if there was a hippie folk jam on the patio at the afterparty....

But beyond that, Charlotte was fun as hell, even if there was no bangarang chutney jam on the patio at the afterparty....

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    But beyond that, Charlotte was fun as hell, even if there was a hippie folk jam on the patio at the afterparty....

There was? Well, I didn't get to do much walking around at the after party and by the time I got out to the patio, I didn't even so much as sense the lingering presence of patchouli (thank god). Did I miss any free love?

15 people ?!?!

That's about how many came to see Guy Hennigan when he span at my night.

Guy came through with Miss Shingaling here last year too. I had them spin at my bar gig which usually gets 50-80 people throughout the night. But on their night we had about twice that many people, and it was clear that the folks came *because* of Guy & K*m being there. I was surprised, but very happy.

15 people ?!?!

That's about how many came to see Guy Hennigan when he span at my night.

Guy came through with Miss Shingaling here last year too. I had them spin at my bar gig which usually gets 50-80 people throughout the night. But on their night we had about twice that many people, and it was clear that the folks came *because* of Guy & K*m being there. I was surprised, but very happy.

That's very cool... seems like it was the opposite for me. The longer the DJ's been in the game, the less people show. And in my experience, TimeOut and Flavorpill etc, don't give a shit about names, they just care about venues. I guess NYC is all about who not what.

Anyway, bitching aside, apart from the fact that this is the sort of thing that makes you say "weeklies? fuck that for a game of soldiers" it also means that the people who do show are cool. You get to talk good old days with a very knowledgeable DJ, and he gets a dancefloor of all of 4 people, all of whom are really into it... and b-girls getting down to Northern is pretty priceless, not to mention, easy on the eye.

• i guess no one wanted to see a bunch of tweeked-out, fat, disgusting guys with bad teeth hanging around with little record cases.

coffee on my flat screen....

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

These aren't strictly funk events but neither was Vegas Shuffle:

Oct 15-16, 2005 - Orlando FLA
    HITSVILLE SOUL CLUB ALL NIGHTER
    Greg Tormo - NJ
    Mike Markesich (The Deacon Of Dead Wax) - CT
    Brian Poust - GA
    Miss Shing-A-Ling - NY
    Mike Umholtz - CA
    Alan Pollard - United Kingdom
    Russ Vickers - UK via VA
    Midnite Cowbwoy - NC
    Dave Moore - FL
    SoulManJan - FL
    http://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Jan 2006, NC - Date TBA
    INCRIMINATORS SC WEEKENDER
    Tentative Lineup:
    Brian Poust - GA
    Terry Holloway - GA
    Russ Vickers - UK via VA
    Midnite Cowbwoy - NC
    DJ Marco - NC[/b]
    Ty Jesso - RI
    Sire Troy - VA

Feb 2-4, 2006 - NYC
    REACTION WEEKENDER
    Rob Bailey - UK
    Josh Styles - NYC
    Tony the Tiger - L.A.
    Mr. Finewine - NYC
    Richard Karstrom - SWEDEN
    Todd-O-Phonic - NJ
    Ty Jesso - RI
    Billy Miller - NYC
    Michael Robinson - NYC
    Lord Julian - FRANCE
    Jaime Kozyra - NYC
    [url=http://www.smashedblocked.com/reaction.html]http://www.smashedblocked.com/reaction.html

And of course whatever monthly soul DJ event is in your city...

Rhythm & Booze - ATL
    Immediate - Philly
    SmashedBlocked - NYC
    Solid! - Durham NC
    The Hustle - Charlotte, NC
    Sheer Magic - Chicago
    The Soul Hole - Milwaukee
    And many many more!

Remember, if people can't be bothered to support a local funk/soul night on a regular basis, it makes it that much more difficult to pull off a huge event like Vegas Shuffle. We just saw Keb Darge in Charlotte NC this past weekend and he got a crowd of about 70 people, but apparently he only drew 15 people in Florida and his Atlanta show wasn't a massive party either.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
    Support your local soul night, folls!