External HD's?

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Yo! I'm in the market for a external hard drive, what's up with you all Strutters with one? one of my main concerns is the noise level... I want this jawn to be silent as hell...

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i had a 40 gig drive i took out of my old comp and encased it in a plastic/aluminum hard drive casing i got from comp usa for like 30 bucks. it plugs in a usb port, and i love it. i dedicated it to strictly mp3's and my website content, and so far it's worked out great...

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    check out newegg.com they got the deals. 200GB western digital for ~$99. Then get a external case. Most are relatively quiet.

One of the better investments I've made, if something happens to my pc/music I don't stress cuz it's backed up.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I like Maxtor - I have 2 and have never had a problem

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Fry's/Outpost had a 250 gig Western Digital external for $129 after rebates

Not the best deal, but to me. I will hold onto it until I see a better deal... Anybody?

Where's Aser with his killer deals?

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    lacie

quiet and triple interface

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I am in the process of going that way myself. It is a lot cheaper to just buy a case (In Oz about A$45-60) and get the hard drive of your choice to put inside it than buy a Maxtor one touch HD.For a case and 160gb HD it's A$180 and for a maxtor external it's A$270.I'm sure in the states their is a similar price difference.
    Some of the cases give you the choice of USB2 and firewire and I read firewire is a little faster than usb2. I was told to not get too big a HD ( e.g 300gb) as it is better to stick to 120gb or 160gb as some computers have trouble dealing with a HD that big. It's a good way to share your music with friends as well as you can plug into any other PC. I also like the idea that you can unplug it when you are surfing the net and try to keep it away from viruses that way.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    lacie

quiet and triple interface

cosign

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    doing the whole internal hd with external case is dicey though. some of those cases are jankie and if you dont baby those things you might endup loosing data.

the lacie drives are prety standard for recording studios and film houses.. although ive heard some horror stories about the drive just failing outta the blue.

external hds scare me. but i need one too.

• www.glyphtech.com

Glyph Technologies builds digital storage solutions specifically for audio and video production environments. Our complete line includes FireWire, SCSI, and Fibre Channel products, used all over the world by professional and project studios alike. Known for our outstanding customer support, Glyph is founded on the idea that your work is precious to you. We build the toughest storage solutions to keep it safe.

They come in both USB and 400 or 800 Firewire for ballers. I got my 120 gb for more than a normal drive, but the drive is built solid. I have dropped it at least 3 or 4 times, once even from about 3 feet high (no de la please) and there wasn't a single glitch in writing. The drives come preformatted for Macs and are designed specifically for the audio user in mind. Even Herbie Hancock uses them, and he's always right. I have yet to need their support after 8 months, but wouldn't hesitate as they pride themselves in their customer service.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    They're testing 10 gig flash cards right now in Asia. I think right now we have 2 gigs in North America. Once the 10 come, then it's 20...40 etc... Nothing will be as quiet or as small as using flash. Once they can get high capacity flash most external hard drives will go the way of Beta tapes as they will have no advantage at all over flash except for maybe performance, something USB 2.0 will cause anyhow depending on what you're doing

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    They're testing 10 gig flash cards right now in Asia.

GAME OVER

• They're testing 10 gig flash cards right now in Asia.

GAME OVER

wasn't day rapping about a 1 Gb one he got the other day. i need one of those for quick transfers...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    It's very important you get the correct one if using with Pro-tools.

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    I got this one about 6 months ago

Lacie 250gb, quiet too. Be careful though, they're fragile. Couple nights ago I dropped it about 6 inches onto a carpeted floor, and it won't start up at all. So I've kissed goodbye to 50gb of MP3s, 30gb of high quality smut and nearly 7 years worth of graphic design / illustration work... heartbreaking. Moral of the story: make back up your back ups.