remember the 5 year-old girl that was handcuffed?

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
well, she's got nothing on this kid I worked with today. I was substituting in a Kindergarten/1st grade class for Emotionally Disturbed kids. This one kid started throwing chairs and tables, flipping desks over, ripping stuff off the wall, calling us "bitch ass niggers", throwing books at me and the other kids, the whole time the kids are playing on the computer trying to ignore him, but he's getting dangerous and the principal comes in and tries to restrain him. I take the rest of the class next door and then the police had to come and they made the kid clean up the room and they took him home because his aunt wouldn't come and get him. also, I got punched and kicked by another kid, called a "bitch", and was verbally threatened more than a few times. It was so crazy, one minute I was playing four square with the boy and the next minute he was calling me a fucking bitch and telling me about the knife he was going to bring to school next time.It was a very draining day, I'm going to be working with ED kids but this was beyond my capabilities, I've never seen behavior like this before. I know some of you are special ed assistants too! got stories?

Comments

• well, she's got nothing on this kid I worked with today.

I was substituting in a Kindergarten/1st grade class for Emotionally Disturbed kids. This one kid started throwing chairs and tables, flipping desks over, ripping stuff off the wall, calling us "bitch ass niggers", throwing books at me and the other kids, the whole time the kids are playing on the computer trying to ignore him, but he's getting dangerous and the principal comes in and tries to restrain him. I take the rest of the class next door and then the police had to come and they made the kid clean up the room and they took him home because his aunt wouldn't come and get him.

also, I got punched and kicked by another kid, called a "bitch", and was verbally threatened more than a few times. It was so crazy, one minute I was playing four square with the boy and the next minute he was calling me a fucking bitch and telling me about the knife he was going to bring to school next time.

It was a very draining day, I'm going to be working with ED kids but this was beyond my capabilities, I've never seen behavior like this before.

I know some of you are special ed assistants too! got stories?

anna,

back in the day when i used to teach gymnastics i had one deaf student and man was it a challenge but it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. i still remember him very well, and i dont really remember anyone else. it will be rewarding, i promise you.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...it will be rewarding, i promise you.

If you live through it!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    ...it will be rewarding, i promise you.

If you live through it!

seriously. I'm going to be teaching kids with Mild/Moderate disabilities and this was definitely a Severe class, which I haven't been taught to deal with. But I did okay! I just can't imagine doing that every day.

• is there alot of fluoride in the drinking water where you live?... that's shit's made them go mad!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Seriously. I'm going to be teaching kids with Mild/Moderate disabilities and this was definitely a Severe class, which I haven't been taught to deal with. But I did okay! I just can't imagine doing that every day.

I have a friend who teaches kindergarten, we began collecting and taking trips to record store in like 92... anyway for some reason he wants to teach these same kind of children... like children with learning disabilities, I forget the title they use but man, he has some stories about this kid who only wants to slid across the floor in his socks all day, as soon as he gets to school... come to think of it, that sounds fun... he told me a story about how some like 4th graders jumped some other 4th grader and the next day, the girls aunt was up at the school ready to swing on some 10 year olds...

I don???t know what???s better, prison guard stories or public school stories...

• mimmim 44 Posts
    instead of going to th army (in my country army is obligatory for all males, there's just 4 mil of us so they have to make an army out of something) i chose to do social work, for free, 8 motnhs. They put me in a kindergarten with handicaped kids (well, not all of them but there were two groups of them, i was their do-it-all-guy, carrying them around the park, serving lunch painting the walls, dressing them, reading to them...). most were just physically challenged or paralyzed kids, and some slightly retarded. they were integrated with 'normal' (always use that word carefully) kids so there were no hard cases..

it was really hard for me for quite some time, but eventually you'll learn not to look at it as something different. very quickly i learned not to pity the kids for the things they were different from the rest, it took some more time for them to stop getting on my nerves (special kids with special care tend to be a bit spoiled, you know), and after a while they were just kids like any other. we even had 'cute' names for the groups, untranslatable but something like 'difficuties'.

all in all it sure was a tough experience, and doing (hard) work you're not paid for really sucks ass, but i now see it as a one of a kind experience i was given to go through. in the end they liked me very much since i was a lot engaged in the job, and those other fuckwits that were also signed to this job with me chose to dodge it as much as they could so i was of great value to the kindergarten and i seriously thought about doing the job, on the payroll too, for at least some time in the future. and i missed the kids when i got off.

but i didn't stay, i went back to college (three exams left as from yesterday!), and now and then i enjoy to come and visit them and have a few laughs...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    (in my country army is obligatory for all males, there's just 4 mil of us so they have to make an army out of something)

where you from homie?

• I don???t know what???s better, prison guard stories or public school stories...

Whats the difference?

• mimmim 44 Posts
    (in my country army is obligatory for all males, there's just 4 mil of us so they have to make an army out of something)

where you from homie?

from .. yup, have a nice stay!