Tell me again about bad French bidders

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
I got my first "I didn't receive my record" eBay complaint, naturally for a $200+ item, and not too shockingly from a French bidder. What were peoples' beefs with French bidders again? I've also noticed a lot of grief regarding Italian transactions. Inform.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The French view paying for a big ticket eBay item as akin to defending against a German invasion. They will avoid it at all costs.

• Quote:h,121b,121I got my first "I didn't receive my record" eBay complaint, naturally for a $200+ item, and not too shockingly from a French bidder. What were peoples' beefs with French bidders again? I've also noticed a lot of grief regarding Italian transactions. Inform. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Someone here mentioned that the French postal system pays low wages so employees supplement their income with records. I've only ever shipped one item to France and it disappeared.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Apparently the postal systems in both Italy & France leave something to be desired.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121The French view paying for a big ticket eBay item as akin to defending against a German invasion. They will avoid it at all costs. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Hey Professional Soulstrutter, this is NAGL on any level, especially since you are American, not English. Tired, ignorant, AFFECTED. Take that shit back to the J Crew picnic, Saba is waiting.

• I've actually had nothing but good transactions with French and Italian bidders... b,121b,121*knocks on wood*

Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121The French view paying for a big ticket eBay item as akin to defending against a German invasion. They will avoid it at all costs. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b, 21Hey Professional Soulstrutter, this is NAGL on any level, especially since you are American, not English. Tired, ignorant, AFFECTED. Take that shit back to the J Crew picnic, Saba is waiting. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I see you missed the part where I indicated that I am both part French and part German. Take a joke, or take a walk.

• I'm happy to have done my part to pit one Strutter against another. Though I admit I'm surprised that Kala hasn't popped up to hurl an insult at me, the French, and at least two other posters in this thread.

• Quote:h,121b,121
    b,121b, 21Hey Professional Soulstrutter, this is NAGL on any level, especially since you are American, not English. Tired, ignorant, AFFECTED. Take that shit back to the J Crew picnic, Saba is waiting. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121b,121ARC DE CAPITULATION

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    like wiseb,121in spite of all the bad press i have never had any problems with franceb,121but i won't sell big ticket items to low feedback guysb,121also Italy hasn't been a problem but with both countries I always make them pay for the signature/registered optionb,121so far so good

• Quote:h,121b,121Apparently the postal systems in both Italy & France leave something to be desired. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I think both postal systems go on strike like in a matter of seconds. You can walk by and everything is fine. Come back an hour later and theres a strike in progress.

• soulmarcosa: Especially if it's a high ticket item get the buyer to agree to pay for registered mail. It's an extra $10.80 on top of regular Air Mail but it's the only way to track international packages. To my knowledge it will be the only way to win a Pay Pal dispute with an Intl bidder. b,121b,121I have not had problems with France yet. However with Italy and Greece I haven't been as lucky. For this reason I've put a clause in my auctions that requires registered mail to those destinations. Specifically with Italy it seems like buyers are quick to chargeback AND the postal system is very suspect. Many parcels get stuck in customs which is very strict there. And in the worse case scenario lots of shit goes "missing." If you search the ebay forums it's widely documented... Good luck with Frenchie.

• The only person who ripped me off through Paypal, claiming the LP didn't get there, was a guy from Paris. It was a cheap one, so no sweat financially, but I fought him tooth and nail and still got skrewed by Paypal. Send it registered or put a clause in your auctions wrt to France or Italy. Nice countries, shitty postal service.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Sent heaps of stuff to both Italy and France and never had a problem.b,121b,121Only person I've ever been ripped off by is an Enlgish douche who I have already warned the entire world about, but just for good measure:b,121b,121Matthew Langfearb,1217 Stag Driveb,121Hedge End b,121Southamptonb,121Hampshire S030 2QWb,121UKb,121

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^b,121b,121ebay user name would be more helpful

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    His username was hostyle73 but I think he's changed it or just cancelled his account now. It wasn't on ebay that he ripped me off, though he may well have ripped dudes off on there.

• hey dude sorry but i thought i explained that wasnt me,dont you remember the thread where dj sheep was questioning me, as he thought i was matt, until i verified that he got me mixed up with him,cos we used similar usernames,all you got to do is ask sheep!!! it was a while ago though so it might of ive slipped you memory,i think youll find he still posts on here as phantomdigger and on ebay as humbugsneak peace and respect shahid

• i'm out of over $1000 in the past 6 months due to french bidders saying the records never arrived. i'm on the verge of "sorry no france bidders".b,121b,121peace, stein. . .b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121hey dude sorry but i thought i explained that wasnt me,dont you remember the thread where dj sheep was questioning me, as he thought i was matt, until i verified that he got me mixed up with him,cos we used similar usernames,all you got to do is ask sheep!!! it was a while ago though so it might of ive slipped you memory,i think youll find he still posts on here as phantomdigger and on ebay as humbugsneak peace and respect shahid b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121hostyle73 who posts on here (shahid) is cool and not the droid you are looking for, move along....b,121b,121matt langfear who has the ebay ID hostyle73 is a totally different person...

• Never had any problems with italian bidders but their postal service on the other hand b,121b,121Why does this happen to a $100 record and not a $10 one (murphys law) i ended up sending him another copy and his mate bought one for $100. So it worked out in the end.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    b,121b,121Is there a thread somewhere that contains bad bidders??b,121If not, shouldn't there be?b,121b,121I had a French bidder who said they didn't receive the record in the last few months too.b,121b,121I think they had private feedback. That always comes across as a red flag to me (Except Japan, where I think everyone has private feedback) but I still give bidders with positive feedback benefit of the doubt.

• Quote:h,121b,121Never had any problems with italian bidders but their postal service on the other hand b,121b,121Why does this happen to a $100 record and not a $10 one (murphys law) i ended up sending him another copy and his mate bought one for $100. So it worked out in the end. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Does he live in candyland? b,121b,121b/wb,121b,121I really like that album.

• Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Never had any problems with italian bidders but their postal service on the other hand b,121b,121Why does this happen to a $100 record and not a $10 one (murphys law) i ended up sending him another copy and his mate bought one for $100. So it worked out in the end. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Does he live in candyland? b,121b,121b/wb,121b,121I really like that album. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I live in the area that the band are originally from (northern New DSouth Wales)and I ran into one of the original musos who played percussion on the record. He told me a bit of back ground on the band and said he also had some live recordings on tape that were never released. He said the band played a gig at Confest (Oz hippie festival) and had a sound guy who had all sorts of analog effects that he ran things through to trip the crowd out. I might hit him up for a copy and put it on CD.b,121b,121PM me if you want copies of this LP

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This guy from Spain said he hadn't received the record and wanted a refund I denied stating I had to wait 73 days or so after the shipping date to file a claim with the Canadian postal Service and at the last minute he tried pulling some bullshit story about how the record in the sleeve wasn't the right one. Let's just say I ignored that and was in the clear by then because it was too late for a claim on his part. I think I got lucky on that one though.

• at least the French are good at creating LULZERS DIGA RULEZb,121b,121embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• yo sheep that hostyle73 is still one of my e bay ids,which is out of action at the mo.... like i said i think matt goes by humbugsneak or something similar peace shahid

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121soulmarcosa: Especially if it's a high ticket item get the buyer to agree to pay for registered mail. It's an extra $10.80 on top of regular Air Mail but it's the only way to track international packages. To my knowledge it will be the only way to win a Pay Pal dispute with an Intl bidder. b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121And if he doesn't feel like it then I would consider paying it out of my own pocket.

• The only way to avoid this shit is to never send shit in the first place. If they look like some shady fucks, they are prolly some shady fucks. If shady looking dude wins your record, refund his payment, sell to next lowest bidder and move on with life.

• Ok so a little while after my first post, I sent dude the date I sent his package, along with three of the possible customs slip numbers (I sent 3 packages to France that day; dunno which was his). He thanked me, and said he'd contact his post office.b,121b,121Well today I get a Unreceived Item dispute notice via eBay, and a Deferred Dispute notice from PayPal. Apparently he didn't file his dispute within Paypal's 45-day period so it looks like I won't get a chargeback. I'm sure I'll get negative feedback soon, however.b,121b,121My question now is this: regardless of what I'm legally bound to do, what should I *ethically* do as a seller? I sent the package as promised, but he didn't want tracking or insurance, and he claims he didn't get it. Do I owe him anything (full or partial refund, future discount, etc.) as an act of good faith as a seller? Or is it just his tough luck? b,121b,121BTW the guy's feedback is 266 and all positive, as is mine, which is in the 300s.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Sent heaps of stuff to both Italy and France and never had a problem.b,121b,121Only person I've ever been ripped off by is an Enlgish douche who I have already warned the entire world about, but just for good measure:b,121b,121Matthew Langfearb,1217 Stag Driveb,121Hedge End b,121Southamptonb,121Hampshire S030 2QWb,121UKb,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I have only one dude I've had a serious problem with (way around all the Frenchies is to ship registered...seems to take care of most of the issues)...and surprisingly he's Japanese!b,121b,121Munetake Kamurab,121b,121anybody know this cat? sold to him? deals with him? Straight up stole $650 from me...for my only copy of Los Vampyros when I really needed loot...it fucked up my whole life for a bit....2004...first Paypal problem...not to be the last...haha