I caught a virus!(Neither Sex Nor Robbery-Related)

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,451 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
So my laptop is trippin' and I have a window that popped up and won't go away that says I have the following viruses:b,121b,121Win32/privacyremover.M64b,121b,121Win32/Adware.Virtumondeb,121b,121I Googled it and found out that the window is a fake trying to fool me into doing some other harmful shit, but how do I get rid of whatever I have now?? I don't trust any of the removal instructions sites 'cause they all seem shady!b,121HELP!!!
«1

  Comments


  • jaymackjaymack 5,198 Posts
    run avast!

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,690 Posts
    Download HijackThis, scan your registry, save a file, copy and paste the file log to hijackthis.de, checkmark what they say is bad and remove.

  • BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.htmlb,121http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.htmlb,121download those two and run them in safe mode. you will not be able to remove all the garbage unless you run them in safe modeb,121b,121b,121 b,121b,121b,121[color:white]stop looking at so much porn !--color--1

  • Quote:h,121b,121http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.htmlb,121http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.htmlb,121download those two and run them in safe mode. you will not be able to remove all the garbage unless you run them in safe modeb,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Is there another link for that first one? Also, how do I get in safe mode? I hit an F?? key during reboot, right?b,121b,121 b,121b,121b,121[color:white]It wasn't porn this time, I swear! It was Redman's Doc's Da Name!!--color--1


  • ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121It wasn't porn this time, I swear! It was Redman's Doc's Da Name!b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121You can't get a virus from mp3s, son.b,121b,121

  • catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I think I have a good idea of what the problem is.b,121.b,121.b,121b,121

  • b,121b,121F WORDS!!!b,121b,121b,121Okay, so after a very long process which caused me to email the HijackThis log to my desktop computer so I could analyze it, I was finally able to determine what to check and delete to finish this process. b,121b,121But now, I'm having problems with this Spybot program. I've DL'ed it FOUR different times from FOUR different sites and each time I try to run it (whether in safe mode or regular mode) I get a message saying there's a problem with the .exe file or something like that.b,121b,121What's worse is I STILL have that fake ass virus warning window AND my laptop keeps freezing up forcing me to reboot (usually when I'm in the middle of DL'ing that Spybot program). I HAVE been able to DL the whole Spybot program so I'm not trying to run an incomplete file.b,121b,121Also, any time I try to click a hyperlink, the stupid ass virus changes the link to some other bullshit. I've been cutting and pasting to get around that.b,121b,121HELP PLEASE!!!

  • SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Have you tried system restore? That got me out of a couple of viruses.

  • twoplytwoply 2,903 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Also, any time I try to click a hyperlink, the stupid ass virus changes the link to some other bullshit. I've been cutting and pasting to get around that.b,121b,121HELP PLEASE!!! b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121I've had that one before, it's a motherfucker. I think it's a worm, but I can't remember the name right now. If I can remember, I'll let you know, because there is a cure.

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Also, any time I try to click a hyperlink, the stupid ass virus changes the link to some other bullshit. I've been cutting and pasting to get around that.b,121b,121HELP PLEASE!!! b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121I've had that one before, it's a motherfucker. I think it's a worm, but I can't remember the name right now. If I can remember, I'll let you know, because there is a cure. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm in the same boat, i've had it and can't remember the name. I seem to remember having to manually reg edit to get my system to boot without it.

  • Quote:h,121b,121I think I have a good idea of what the problem is.b,121.b,121.b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Not to sound like a mac nerd, but I have never really had any problems since I switched over to Mac. You'll never ever hear about a win32 or hit ctrl+alt+delete and see 78 programs with names like shazbot64 and skeebs.exe.b,121b,121make the switch Herm.

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121I think I have a good idea of what the problem is.b,121.b,121.b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Not to sound like a mac nerd, but I have never really had any problems since I switched over to Mac. You'll never ever hear about a win32 or hit ctrl+alt+delete and see 78 programs with names like shazbot64 and skeebs.exe.b,121b,121make the switch Herm. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Will I have to get Empanadamn hair like hoLmes in the pic?

  • Quote:h,121b,121b,121Will I have to get Empanadamn hair like hoLmes in the pic? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes.

  • eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Will I have to get Empanadamn hair like hoLmes in the pic? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121and your hands must ALWAYS be in your pockets. it looks reallllly cool.

  • catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Will I have to get Empanadamn hair like hoLmes in the pic? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes, and one of the perks in my opinion.

  • SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121 Empanadamn hairb,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121

  • Dudes...I'm still stuck here.b,121b,121So far I've tried to run HijackThis, Avast & Spybot and 98% of the time my laptop either freezes up or goes into endless reboot during the process (this happens in both safe mode and regular mode!).b,121b,121I've had to DL each program on my desktop computer, save it to a flash drive, then install it on my laptop from the flash drive because my laptop won't let me visit any of the sites that I'd need to DL the anti-virus from. Which is very weird 'cause I can go to my regular websites (like Soulstrut, Google, etc), but when I try to type in www.avast.com for example, the page "cannot be found." It's like the virus is stopping me from visiting websites that can offer a solution.b,121b,121What else can I try?? Should I take it to the Geek Squad at this point?? Goddamn CompUSA went out of business (that's where I got it from).

  • Quote:h,121b,121Dudes...I'm still stuck here.b,121b,121So far I've tried to run HijackThis, Avast & Spybot and 98% of the time my laptop either freezes up or goes into endless reboot during the process (this happens in both safe mode and regular mode!).b,121b,121I've had to DL each program on my desktop computer, save it to a flash drive, then install it on my laptop from the flash drive because my laptop won't let me visit any of the sites that I'd need to DL the anti-virus from. Which is very weird 'cause I can go to my regular websites (like Soulstrut, Google, etc), but when I try to type in www.avast.com for example, the page "cannot be found." It's like the virus is stopping me from visiting websites that can offer a solution.b,121b,121What else can I try?? Should I take it to the Geek Squad at this point?? Goddamn CompUSA went out of business (that's where I got it from). b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Holmes,b,121b,121How dirty is your computer? If your computer is freezing a ton or randomly rebooting even in safe mode sounds like a heat issue, try taking off the case and cleaning with compressed air, make sure all your fans are running in the case or add another fan for like $5 from your local geekmart. Also could be memory gone bad too, some bioses have memory tests you can run on the memory. b,121b,121Wait is this a laptop or desktop?

  • twoplytwoply 2,903 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121Dudes...I'm still stuck here.b,121b,121So far I've tried to run HijackThis, Avast & Spybot and 98% of the time my laptop either freezes up or goes into endless reboot during the process (this happens in both safe mode and regular mode!).b,121b,121I've had to DL each program on my desktop computer, save it to a flash drive, then install it on my laptop from the flash drive because my laptop won't let me visit any of the sites that I'd need to DL the anti-virus from. Which is very weird 'cause I can go to my regular websites (like Soulstrut, Google, etc), but when I try to type in www.avast.com for example, the page "cannot be found." It's like the virus is stopping me from visiting websites that can offer a solution.b,121b,121What else can I try?? Should I take it to the Geek Squad at this point?? Goddamn CompUSA went out of business (that's where I got it from). b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121b,121I had this problem about 4-5 years ago, so I can't remember exactly how I got rid of it, but I know the problem is that the file you need to get rid of copies itself with a different file name every time you reboot. b,121b,121If I were you, I'd go to majorgeeks.com and ask for help in their support forums. The guys there can be a bit cantankerous in that "I don't need this aggravation" IT guy sort of way, but they are very knowledgeable and will help you. b,121b,121Go to this thread first and follow all the directions:b,121http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407b,121b,121If you can't complete some of the steps, just explain in your initial post which ones you were unable to do. Then post your problem here:b,121http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Dudes...I'm still stuck here.b,121b,121So far I've tried to run HijackThis, Avast & Spybot and 98% of the time my laptop either freezes up or goes into endless reboot during the process (this happens in both safe mode and regular mode!).b,121b,121I've had to DL each program on my desktop computer, save it to a flash drive, then install it on my laptop from the flash drive because my laptop won't let me visit any of the sites that I'd need to DL the anti-virus from. Which is very weird 'cause I can go to my regular websites (like Soulstrut, Google, etc), but when I try to type in www.avast.com for example, the page "cannot be found." It's like the virus is stopping me from visiting websites that can offer a solution.b,121b,121What else can I try?? Should I take it to the Geek Squad at this point?? Goddamn CompUSA went out of business (that's where I got it from). b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Holmes,b,121b,121How dirty is your computer? If your computer is freezing a ton or randomly rebooting even in safe mode sounds like a heat issue, try taking off the case and cleaning with compressed air, make sure all your fans are running in the case or add another fan for like $5 from your local geekmart. Also could be memory gone bad too, some bioses have memory tests you can run on the memory. b,121b,121Wait is this a laptop or desktop? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121It's the laptop that has the virus.

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Dudes...I'm still stuck here.b,121b,121So far I've tried to run HijackThis, Avast & Spybot and 98% of the time my laptop either freezes up or goes into endless reboot during the process (this happens in both safe mode and regular mode!).b,121b,121I've had to DL each program on my desktop computer, save it to a flash drive, then install it on my laptop from the flash drive because my laptop won't let me visit any of the sites that I'd need to DL the anti-virus from. Which is very weird 'cause I can go to my regular websites (like Soulstrut, Google, etc), but when I try to type in www.avast.com for example, the page "cannot be found." It's like the virus is stopping me from visiting websites that can offer a solution.b,121b,121What else can I try?? Should I take it to the Geek Squad at this point?? Goddamn CompUSA went out of business (that's where I got it from). b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121b,121I had this problem about 4-5 years ago, so I can't remember exactly how I got rid of it, but I know the problem is that the file you need to get rid of copies itself with a different file name every time you reboot. b,121b,121If I were you, I'd go to majorgeeks.com and ask for help in their support forums. The guys there can be a bit cantankerous in that "I don't need this aggravation" IT guy sort of way, but they are very knowledgeable and will help you. b,121b,121Go to this thread first and follow all the directions:b,121http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407b,121b,121If you can't complete some of the steps, just explain in your initial post which ones you were unable to do. Then post your problem here:b,121http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121So I'm trying to follow these steps and every time I start my damn laptop freezes and I have to reboot.b,121b,121b,121FUKK. ME.

  • twoplytwoply 2,903 Posts
    How old is the laptop? It might be less of a hassle to simply back up your files and reinstall windows.

  • billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,563 Posts
    When AdAware and Spybot search and destroy have failed in the past, I usually use SpySweeper. It isn't free, but it finds a lot more than the other two.b,121b,121http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-spysweeper.html

  • About 1.5 - 2 yrs old. I've moved my mp3's and photos over to my external, what now?b,121b,121Sorry, I'm stoopid when it comes to this shit.

  • BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121About 1.5 - 2 yrs old. I've moved my mp3's and photos over to my external, what now?b,121b,121Sorry, I'm stoopid when it comes to this shit. b,121b,121h,121
    If you have everything you need backed up, put your Windows CD in and follow what shit tells you to do. It's pretty straight forward. I would recommend formatting your hard drive and installing Windows from there.b,121b,121After you've installed Windows and you're comfortable with whatever configuration you've come up with, I highly recommend creating an image of your current installation as a backup in case something like this happens again. There's a lot of stuff out there that can do basic imaging stuff (like this) but I recommend Acronis . Pretty easy to use and I haven't encountered any problems using it.

  • bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I had an infection a few years ago I was able to take care of but it took a lot of work... and it sounds as if it wasn't as bad as yours either.b,121b,121I downloaded maybe 4 or 5 of the most popular/well regarded free virus/trojan/worm search/removal tools and ran all of em... then I took the information I gleaned regarding filenames and all that and did a Google on it and found more specific steps to take for that specific virus. And I had to keep running the removal tools and keep deleting files over and over and eventually it came out completely clean.b,121b,121I'd be real cautious about using a flash drive between the infected PC and any other, you might could transmit it to your clean PC.b,121b,121You should try the online scanning options, but I'm afraid they might be blocked too if the other sites are:b,121b,121http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.aspb,121b,121http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121About 1.5 - 2 yrs old. I've moved my mp3's and photos over to my external, what now?b,121b,121Sorry, I'm stoopid when it comes to this shit. b,121b,121h,121
    If you have everything you need backed up, put your Windows CD in and follow what shit tells you to do. It's pretty straight forward. I would recommend formatting your hard drive and installing Windows from there.b,121b,121After you've installed Windows and you're comfortable with whatever configuration you've come up with, I highly recommend creating an image of your current installation as a backup in case something like this happens again. There's a lot of stuff out there that can do basic imaging stuff (like this) but I recommend Acronis . Pretty easy to use and I haven't encountered any problems using it. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Okay, so I'm pretty sure I've lost my Windows disc 'cause I'm a dumb ass who's always loses important shit. Do I have to buy a whole new XP program?? If so, how much do they run?b,121b,121I suppose I could DL a cracked one, but I've heard that you can't do that with XP 'cause the serial/registry numbers are unique.

  • Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Will I have to get Empanadamn hair like hoLmes in the pic? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121yes, and one of the perks in my opinion. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121actually, Drew-tang is the real perkb,121b,121

  • I HAVE THIS SAME VIRUS RIGHT NOW.. my laptop is old and it's driving me crazy.. im freakin out man....
Sign In or Register to comment.