Eminem retires - it's no fun being a rapstar ?

2»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im sorry, I cant cosine on any of this, well, for lack of a better word, bullshit...yeah, they dont get sleep, they work hard..but boo fucking hoo..they dont have to wait in line at a grocery store after a 16 hour day, they dont have to stay up writing checks and pay the bills on their little free time..they have someone making sure all of the aspects of daily living are taken care of, something no one on here as alluded to...just to have the opportuinity to devote ALL of your time to your craft WITHOUT being bothered to have to do the shit the average joe has to do in addition to their work..these guys are pampered...if you dont think they are, just peep a rider for one of their shows...Retire when you run out of ideas, not because you cant be bothered with the grind of being famous.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

no but I know what having to go show to show in a van barely big enough for the equipment much less five band members plus a light/sound guy across the fucking country playing for $200 a night. Making drives like NYC to Detroit in one stretch, and sleeping on floors of strangers. Shit, even a lifetime of that kind of career wouldn't warrant a "deserve to retire". Not bitter, just dont have much sympathy for someone who has to "endure" the pain of chartered planes, 5 star hotels and 7 or 8 digit bank acocunts...no, youre not picking a fight but you are back to to telling people you dont even know that you know more than they do and that their opinions are wrong...just sayin'

but it aint like jay and em didn't do the rap equivalent of that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Im sorry, I cant cosine on any of this, well, for lack of a better word, bullshit...yeah, they dont get sleep, they work hard..but boo fucking hoo..they dont have to wait in line at a grocery store after a 16 hour day, they dont have to stay up writing checks and pay the bills on their little free time..they have someone making sure all of the aspects of daily living are taken care of, something no one on here as alluded to...just to have the opportuinity to devote ALL of your time to your craft WITHOUT being bothered to have to do the shit the average joe has to do in addition to their work..these guys are pampered...if you dont think they are, just peep a rider for one of their shows...Retire when you run out of ideas, not because you cant be bothered with the grind of being famous.

Well, I'm not trying to tell you what you know or don't know, however I have too been on long bus/car tours squeezing people in between equipment, product, etc. I am speaking from my own experience. There are many people who work hard and get a shitty life. There are many people who work hard and get real paid for the hard work. They have in common: hard work. I don't understand why you hate someone because of the results of that hardwork. I cant cosine on any of this, well, for a lack of a better word, bitterness.

Bottom line is, yes they do live a pampered life, and yall have completely misread my post which never said anything to the contrary. I simply said it is a life that is difficult in many ways (different from the difficulties the average joe faces) and one that I do not envy.

I really never have time anymore to argue with you guys (working hard), so feel free to diss me some more...

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    you are back to to telling people you dont even know that you know more than they do and that their opinions are wrong...just sayin'
    how dare you maintain your point of view!!!
    how is this any less of an exchange of ideas between a couple of people who both have decent points? All dude is saying is that he doesn't quite agree with you. Rather respectfully, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Retire when you run out of ideas, not because you cant be bothered with the grind of being famous.

Isn't it THEIR choice though? Shit, If I could retire from the DJ world right now I would in a heartbeat.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    they dont have to wait in line at a grocery store after a 16 hour day

I bet you Em would LOVE to be able to wait in line at a grocery store. Even after retiring it's probably gonna be a long time before he's able to do many of the simple little things that we all take for granted without being mobbed. It comes with the territory, though... a gift and a curse indeed.

I'm just sad that one of the few dudes left who takes the art of emceeing seriously (commercial success or not) is leaving the game. I wish he would just make one last album that's a real hip hop record, stick his middle finger up to the world and then ride off into the sunset. It ain't gonna happen, though... I think he's too caught up in the world of pop success, as much as he acts like he hates it, to ever go back to his roots and do some raw hip hop shizz. Too bad.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I think y'all are missing the good news - Em's gonna focus on production!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I bet you Em would LOVE to be able to wait in line at a grocery store.

who cares?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I bet you Em would LOVE to be able to wait in line at a grocery store.

who cares?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He cares.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wish he would just make one last album that's a real hip hop record,
    It ain't gonna happen, though...

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

Isn't it THEIR choice though? Shit, If I could retire from the DJ world right now I would in a heartbeat.
    Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. It's definitely a grind, and I can see how the instablility of a life in the entertainment industry can really start to wear over time, but it sucks to feel trapped in something, even if it's something you fundamentally enjoy and have devoted a lot of work to.
    Do you really feel like you wouldn't have the ability to make the transition to some other means of employment if you threw yourself all the way into it? Or are you just talking about not working anymore at all? Cuz I bet most people feel you on that one.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you are back to to telling people you dont even know that you know more than they do and that their opinions are wrong...just sayin'

how dare you maintain your point of view!!!

how is this any less of an exchange of ideas between a couple of people who both have decent points? All dude is saying is that he doesn't quite agree with you. Rather respectfully, too.

the 2nd quote was mine and was said in a joking manner, I still find it ridiculous to feel sympathetic to a rapper who has the ability to "retire" at age 31 from the oh so tough game of being able to create art and promote it.

Working in the industry I get to see how pampered some of these folks are and how sheilded from everyday stress they've been. Thats not to say that they don't have it rough but putting it in perspective of an average joe who's working a 9-5, a 8- 8 or whatever just to survive and make it to actual retirement age I really can't feel anything bad for these celebfrity fucks. Sure Eminem can't go to the grocery store but he can go to many places that others would have no little to no chance of being accepted to.

All that said I thnk Eminem is a tremendous lyracist who hopefully takes the Jay-Z route and continues to make a track here or there and hopefully learns that his production style is just one step above pure ass and that the microphone, not the boards, is where he needs to be.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rappers retiring is the biggest load of bullshit ever since Too Short announced his way back. Eminem can rap, but his albums are suspect. I wont miss him.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Eminem can rap, but his albums are suspect. I wont miss him.

cosign

Working in the industry I get to see how pampered some of these folks are and how sheilded from everyday stress they've been. Thats not to say that they don't have it rough but putting it in perspective of an average joe who's working a 9-5, a 8- 8 or whatever just to survive and make it to actual retirement age I really can't feel anything bad for these celebfrity fucks. Sure Eminem can't go to the grocery store but he can go to many places that others would have no little to no chance of being accepted to.

This is all 100% true. But let me ask you this- how many of you would trade places with Eminem? He's a multi millionaire and all, sure, so maybe you would. Me personally- not a chance. I'd assume that it's like his life has become his prison- he can't go anywhere, can't do anything, has to always have security, has to deal with people who might want to do him serious harm 24-7, there's always the fear of extortion, kidnapping threats, etc. And you better hope you still have your friends from before you became big and they haven't changed on you, because you will NEVER know if your new friends are really friends or not. The material stuff is cool, of course, but after awhile you get used to all of that and it's no big deal anymore, believe me.
    I know or have dealt with more than a few big (or at least semi-big) celebs myself- no, they're not deserving of anybody's pity when there are working class folks bustin' their asses just to make ends meet and poverty stricken people out here who ain't makin' ends meet- but still, the grass is not always as green as it may appear to be on the other side.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Ain't nobody put a gun to Em's (or anyone else's) head and point blank said you gotta be an artist or ELSE... It's a matter of autonomous liberty in decidin' to do so and that involves the pros and cons of the entire scenario - as Huxley says in the preface of 'Brave New World,' you pays your $ and you takes your choice...

So some of these 'retirees''ll have to excuse folks when they pull out miniature violins as a faux lament - if Em don't ever make another record again, world'll still keep rotatin' on its axis as it's done since day 1 of its existence...

This feelin' of entitlement is...______...up...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    It's amazing how in a forum that is completely BASED on "reading" that there is constantly so much "mis-reading" going on. I mean, who's calling for violins and over-blown sympathy? Nobody! People are just saying that the grass ain't always greener and that to glorify the celebrity lifestyle is to refrain from aknowledging the very real difficulties involved with it. Nobdoy is calling for pity parties, just a bit of understanding. Sheyit.

Get your reading-comprehension-game up, folks.

-e

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's amazing how in a forum that is completely BASED on "reading" that there is constantly so much "mis-reading" going on. I mean, who's calling for violins and over-blown sympathy? Nobody! People are just saying that the grass ain't always greener and that to glorify the celebrity lifestyle is to refrain from aknowledging the very real difficulties involved with it. Nobdoy is calling for pity parties, just a bit of understanding. Sheyit.

Get your reading-comprehension-game up, folks.

-e

E - this site seems to be based far more on assuming.

my 2.

JS