Eminem retires - it's no fun being a rapstar ?

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
check allhiphop.com for details.I have lost count who from Jigga to now Em has given up the mic. There's never been more people trying so hard becoming a rap star but once they've made it and released 3 albums they are retiring. There's no other genre of music where people give up so quickly. Feels like something is going wrong with hip-hop or "the industry"...

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Jay hasn't retired from the mic, just from making albums

• check allhiphop.com for details.

I have lost count who from Jigga to now Em has given up the mic. There's never been more people trying so hard becoming a rap star but once they've made it and released 3 albums they are retiring. There's no other genre of music where people give up so quickly. Feels like something is going wrong with hip-hop or "the industry"...

I dunno man, i think for the majority of groups out there, three albums is about right.

there are going to be groups that make more and have something to say, or not have something to say and make some filler that is lacluster in comparison to earlier works. but if you think about a rapper/emcee's evolution. first album is almost always when they are very hungry and trying to make it out of a bad situation. second is usually the sophmore slump and third is the do it cause i already took the advance money and spent it on blow and chicks. of course there are going to be exceptions but more or less three is the magic number.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

these days people aren't even trying to lie, just coming right out and saying "i've made plenty of money, tired of making music for assholes, packing it in" age 34. no wonder why their music careers and fanbases are lame and flaky.

jz still rhymes thats cool. he was around for so long he actually seems like he deserves it. anyone ever heard the High Potency shit?? "hp gets busy" from like 86. 20 yrs ago.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

he was around for so long he actually seems like he deserves it.

"so long"? shit, no one in the music business "deserves" to retire...dudes that have woken up at 5AM everyday to do hard-ass manual labor for 30 years "deserve" to retire...But I suppose the day-in-day-out of being a marginally talented entertainer for a fan base that is mostly teenagers can get really really hard to do after awhile

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man if i hadda get on stage everynight and scream into a mic over dat tapes i think i'd pack it in pretty quick too.

there really aint much artistry / creativity in live hiphop shows these days.

it's not like em's got two drummers and he can kick back into a 25 minute jam of Dark Star or something.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

"so long"? shit, no one in the music business "deserves" to retire...dudes that have woken up at 5AM everyday to do hard-ass manual labor for 30 years "deserve" to retire...But I suppose the day-in-day-out of being a marginally talented entertainer for a fan base that is mostly teenagers can get really really hard to do after awhile

Bitter much?

I don't envy a superstar's life at all. Sure, I envy the money and the power, but I don't envy living your entire life on camera, having all sorts of people, weirdos, hangers on, even your own family try to extort you, ride your coattails, or just waste your time, I don't envy having to work day in and day out in a business that is shady as fuck, and I don't envy having to be on from 10 pm until 2 am, jump on a plane, get off at 8 am, do press, run to the studio, do more press, go to some meetings, do more press, go to soundcheck, eat something somewhere, and do it all again on 3 hours of sleep on a bus/plane/van. I mean, not picking a fight here but do you have any idea of what a successful musician's day-in and day-out even consists of?

Of course, Jay Z and Eminem are both far more than "marginally talented".

• it's not like em's got two drummers and he can kick back into a 25 minute jam of Dark Star or something.

i would pay to see that though.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    He should become a software tester. I think its pretty fun, and maybe its not as hard as being a rapstar! I mean shit, I hardly ever have to try to make 2 words rhyme at work. Thank god! Eminem, if you are reading this, send me your resume via PM and I'll pass it on and put in a good word for you.

• He should become a software tester. I think its pretty fun, and maybe its not as hard as being a rapstar! I mean shit, I hardly ever have to try to make 2 words rhyme at work. Thank god! Eminem, if you are reading this, send me your resume via PM and I'll pass it on and put in a good word for you.

Em wants to know if he has to relocate?

Right now we only have positions available in San Diego. Tell him not to worry though, its a nice place, and we don't have much of a rap scene. Plus alot of beach dudes look just like him, so he will fit in just fine.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I have lost count who from Jigga to now Em has given up the mic.

Much to the dismay of his fan, I heard on BBC Asian Network that Jin is retiring too.

Mylatency this your chance!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Bitter much?

I don't envy a superstar's life at all. Sure, I envy the money and the power, but I don't envy living your entire life on camera, having all sorts of people, weirdos, hangers on, even your own family try to extort you, ride your coattails, or just waste your time, I don't envy having to work day in and day out in a business that is shady as fuck, and I don't envy having to be on from 10 pm until 2 am, jump on a plane, get off at 8 am, do press, run to the studio, do more press, go to some meetings, do more press, go to soundcheck, eat something somewhere, and do it all again on 3 hours of sleep on a bus/plane/van.

hilarious, Jonny Aggro strikes again.

"Hook up, look you can think what you want to, but I've spoken to 'Superstars' and this is how it really is..."

I now feel sorry for "superstars" and thier assistants

• I have lost count who from Jigga to now Em has given up the mic.

Much to the dismay of his fan, I heard on BBC Asian Network that Jin is retiring too.

Mylatency this your chance!

New Rule.

If you are a rapper that wants to retire. We have to at least have heard of you in order to do so.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Bitter much?

I don't envy a superstar's life at all. Sure, I envy the money and the power, but I don't envy living your entire life on camera, having all sorts of people, weirdos, hangers on, even your own family try to extort you, ride your coattails, or just waste your time, I don't envy having to work day in and day out in a business that is shady as fuck, and I don't envy having to be on from 10 pm until 2 am, jump on a plane, get off at 8 am, do press, run to the studio, do more press, go to some meetings, do more press, go to soundcheck, eat something somewhere, and do it all again on 3 hours of sleep on a bus/plane/van.

hilarious.

I now feel sorry for "superstars"

Why don't you spit in their coffee some more then? That is, after you fetch it first.

I didn't say to feel sorry for them. I said that I don't envy the life.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Why don't you spit in their coffee some more then? That is, after you fetch it first.

climbed that ladder hommie, movin on...

I didn't say to feel sorry for them. I said that I don't envy the life.

never said you did, however these dudes got it a whole lot easier than most working stiffs. I mean how many of us have personal assistants, and entourages? Besides unlike some bitter dudes who try to downplay the positivity of media success those who make it should know what they are in for

I'm actually getting ready to retire too. I'm tired of all these software tester groupie hoes. If wasn't a software tester these skanks beeeyitches wouldn't even look at me. But now I roll up in the club with my IT posse and these bitches are scannliss. Seriously. I need out of this life.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Bitter much?

I don't envy a superstar's life at all. Sure, I envy the money and the power, but I don't envy living your entire life on camera, having all sorts of people, weirdos, hangers on, even your own family try to extort you, ride your coattails, or just waste your time, I don't envy having to work day in and day out in a business that is shady as fuck, and I don't envy having to be on from 10 pm until 2 am, jump on a plane, get off at 8 am, do press, run to the studio, do more press, go to some meetings, do more press, go to soundcheck, eat something somewhere, and do it all again on 3 hours of sleep on a bus/plane/van. I mean, not picking a fight here but do you have any idea of what a successful musician's day-in and day-out even consists of?

no but I know what having to go show to show in a van barely big enough for the equipment much less five band members plus a light/sound guy across the fucking country playing for $200 a night. Making drives like NYC to Detroit in one stretch, and sleeping on floors of strangers. Shit, even a lifetime of that kind of career wouldn't warrant a "deserve to retire". Not bitter, just dont have much sympathy for someone who has to "endure" the pain of chartered planes, 5 star hotels and 7 or 8 digit bank acocunts...no, youre not picking a fight but you are back to to telling people you dont even know that you know more than they do and that their opinions are wrong...just sayin'

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just dont have much sympathy for someone who has to "endure" the pain of chartered planes, 5 star hotels and 7 or 8 digit bank acocunts...no, youre not picking a fight but you are back to to telling people you dont even know that you know more than they do and that their opinions are wrong...just sayin'

how dare you maintain your point of view!!!

These superstars are living the life of indentured servitude, do you think they actually like having large bank accounts and assistants? Do you think they enjoy bragging about thier financial worth and groupies? Next time you catch yourself bobbing your head to one of their songs I want you to think of the tears each and everyone of these artists shed at night just trying to make YOU happy.

You selfish pig

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    check allhiphop.com for details.

I have lost count who from Jigga to now Em has given up the mic. There's never been more people trying so hard becoming a rap star but once they've made it and released 3 albums they are retiring. There's no other genre of music where people give up so quickly. Feels like something is going wrong with hip-hop or "the industry"...

Oh shit!!! No Eminem?

Hip hop is offically dead.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

never said you did, however these dudes got it a whole lot easier than most working stiffs. I mean how many of us have personal assistants, and entourages?

Whether or not celebrities, on balance, "have it easier" than working stiffs is debatable, but it's pretty much fact that these guys work a lot harder than nine-to-fivers. Shit, an entourage is work in itself.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I'm actually getting ready to retire too. I'm tired of all these software tester groupie hoes. If wasn't a software tester these skanks beeeyitches wouldn't even look at me. But now I roll up in the club with my IT posse and these bitches are scannliss. Seriously. I need out of this life.

ha! try getting hos off your nutsack when you reek of cubicle, the only shoes you have are your penny loafers for work, and the only music you can afford is the free shit your boss doesnt' want. co-sign on that retirement tip.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Shit, an entourage is work in itself.

Why am I picturing Faux leaning back in a luxury leather chair, lighting a cigar, putting his feet up on his imported teak desk and sighing world-wearily?

Probably the same reason I'm picturing C*selmed rolling her eyes and yelling, "Hey bigshot! You still got dishes to do in here!"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

Bitter much?

That was real talk and in all honesty 3 hours of sleep is being generous! Yes they have money but the work like crazy for it. it's not really what it seems. Shit I dj 5 nights a week and feel tired and run down! I deejayed a Ben harper tour once for two weeks straight and thought i was gonna die. lol. these guys have been touring and working non stop for 5 years or more.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That was real talk and in all honesty 3 hours of sleep is being generous! Yes they have money but the work like crazy for it. it's not really what it seems. Shit I dj 5 nights a week and feel tired and run down! I deejayed a Ben harper tour once for two weeks straight and thought i was gonna die. lol. these guys have been touring and working non stop for 5 years or more.

Cosine here. I consider myself to be a SUCCESSFUL working artist/DJ, and the measure of success to me comes from being able to support myself and my family strictly from my craft. But it's tireless work in doing so. You know the saying about how one works harder when their working for themself? That's the truth.

That considered, and knowing how hard I work, I couldn't even imagine how hard the top dudes grind.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

=

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think the basis of the argument that 9-5'ers work harder than celebrities/entertainers comes from the fact that it is much easier to work harder when you are working for yourself, when you are doing something expressive, and personally satisfying. I'll put days of hard labor into an unpaid personal project without blinking, but ask me to stay an hour late at my paid job, and I'm ready to quit and go postal.

It's not so much a matter of who works harder, it's who gets more satisfaction out of what they do. Most people who work 9-5 jobs feel they are wasting their time, working for someone else's gain, being exploited or at least undervalued and underpaid. For them, it seems laughable for someone who gets paid millions to tour the world performing before an endless stream of admiring fans to complain about it "being too much."

That being said, the average person tends to forget that celebrities are just regular people like themselves, and that if the positions were reversed, they would be just as tired and burned out as well. If you're gonna make those millions, you better make sure you take some time to enjoy them!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

=

Yeah, see, we were talking about celebrities.

• awallawall 673 Posts

=

brilliant use of jpegs

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I think the basis of the argument that 9-5'ers work harder than celebrities/entertainers comes from the fact that it is much easier to work harder when you are working for yourself, when you are doing something expressive, and personally satisfying. I'll put days of hard labor into an unpaid personal project without blinking, but ask me to stay an hour late at my paid job, and I'm ready to quit and go postal.

It's not so much a matter of who works harder, it's who gets more satisfaction out of what they do. Most people who work 9-5 jobs feel they are wasting their time, working for someone else's gain, being exploited or at least undervalued and underpaid. For them, it seems laughable for someone who gets paid millions to tour the world performing before an endless stream of admiring fans to complain about it "being too much."

That being said, the average person tends to forget that celebrities are just regular people like themselves, and that if the positions were reversed, they would be just as tired and burned out as well. If you're gonna make those millions, you better make sure you take some time to enjoy them!

eloquently stated