Assault With Deadly Saliva(NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Crazy local news story that finds Mr. Willie Campbell sentenced to 35 years in prison for assault with a deadly weapon after he spit into the eyes and mouth of a police officer with his HIV positive saliva. It was reported that Mr. Campbell had a history of spitting at and biting people in an attempt to spread the disease. Brings up some interesting scenarios like can you shoot someone in self defense if they are attacking you with "HIV Fluids" which the court has defined as a "deadly weapon". A local Gay Rights group, Lambda Legal, is protesting the verdict.Discuss.http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/051508dnmetspit.2fc6bdb.html

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Lambda x3

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    This is really stupid, HIV can't be transmitted through saliva.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    This is really stupid, HIV can't be transmitted through saliva.

beat me to it. what a bunch of BS.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    A crackhead bust into my office a while back & started spitting in my direction when I went to throw him out. I grabbed a fire extingusiher off the wall & blasted him with it, then we threw him to the floor & hog tied him with an extension cord until the cops came. It took 30 minutes for them to show up because of a bad storm. Ugh. That dude reeked of BO. While he was on the floor he pissed himself. Stank up my lobby something awful. I haven't seen him around for a while, so he's prolly dead by now. RIP.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I got this from the center for Disease Contro & Prevention:

"Scientists and medical authorities agree that HIV does not survive well in the environment, making the possibility of environmental transmission remote. HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears."

I would be mad shook if a person with HIV spat in my eye.

or cried on my shoulder wound.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Or engaged in sexual intercourse with me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Or engaged in sexual intercourse with me.

Or gave me their breast milk to drink.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Dallas County prosecutor who handled the trial, Jenni Morse, said any risk is sufficient to find that Campbell's spit could be considered a deadly weapon.

"No matter how minuscule, there is some risk," she said. "That means there is the possibility of causing serious bodily injury or death," the legal definition of a deadly weapon.

District Attorney Craig Watkins said "it was clear that the defendant intended to cause serious bodily injury."

While in prison awaiting trial in the spitting case, Campbell bit two inmates [/b] and attacked other officers.

Dude needs a Hannibal Lecter muzzle.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears

"Varying concentration and amounts" is the key here, but regardless you cannot get HIV from saliva or tears. Trust me, I worked with HIV and AIDS patients for two and a half years.

edited, meistro is right

"Scientists and medical authorities agree that HIV does not survive well in the environment, making the possibility of environmental transmission remote. HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears."

that same fact sheet also says this:

Saliva, Tears, and Sweat
    HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Saliva, Tears, and Sweat
    HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

This is good info. Can't their be elements of blood in saliva, though? Would that trace amount of blood be dangerous?

"Varying concentration and amounts" is the key here, but regardless you cannot get HIV from breast milk, saliva or tears. Trust me, I worked with HIV and AIDS patients for two and a half years.

uhhh...HIV can be transmitted through breast milk. Here is a report about it:

https://www.unfpa.org/upload/lib_pub_file/276_filename_HIV_PREV_BF_GUIDE_ENG.pdf

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    someone should knock that motherfuckers teeth out

so wrong/weird on so many levels...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    so wrong/weird on so many levels...

Hal Jordan, Dropping knowledge!!!!!

Saliva, Tears, and Sweat

This is good info. Can't their be elements of blood in saliva, though? Would that trace amount of blood be dangerous?

Unless you have a cut or wound inside your mouth (bleeding gums, canker sore), there should not be blood in your saliva. However HIV positive folks are probably more likely to have cuts in their mouth, so I suppose it is possible.

this is also from that factsheet:
    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

Kissing
    Casual contact through closed-mouth or "social" kissing is not a risk for transmission of HIV. Because of the potential for contact with blood during "French" or open-mouth kissing, CDC recommends against engaging in this activity with a person known to be infected. However, the risk of acquiring HIV during open-mouth kissing is believed to be very low. CDC has investigated only one case of HIV infection that may be attributed to contact with blood during open-mouth kissing.

Biting
    In 1997, CDC published findings from a state health department investigation of an incident that suggested blood-to-blood transmission of HIV by a human bite. There have been other reports in the medical literature in which HIV appeared to have been transmitted by a bite. Severe trauma with extensive tissue tearing and damage and presence of blood were reported in each of these instances. Biting is not a common way of transmitting HIV. In fact, there are numerous reports of bites that did not result in HIV infection.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    dude in the jacket looks like malcom mclaren.

dude in the jacket looks like malcom mclaren.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! you just kilt me with that at work here.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    But what about the fact that the defendant Willie Campbell perceived his "weapon" to be deadly even if saliva is not actually a contaminant?
    This is a difficult interpretation of the law for sure.

Years back in Philly there was this creep Eddie Savitz that knowingly spread HIV and molested kids. I had left Philly by then and was in college but it was a huge story. Of course that involved much more serious assauls than just spitting. Awful.