Justin Torres (Jinx) on the radio???

asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Just caught this piece about Darondo on NPR...Justin Torres is a record nut, the kind who combs through stacks of dusty LPs looking for obscure gems. Torres told Chris Roose that he became obsessed with finding an R&B crooner named Daron "Darondo" Pulliam. Darondo wasn't just a forgotten singer -- the man had apparently disappeared.

Comments

• Thanks, that was nice listen.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Got the chills listening to that...such a great story. We all owe Justin one for making this happen.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Hard as Fuck.

Darondo needs to come back through Texas.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Justin,

Saw that via Studio 360's mailing list. AWESOME. How'd they contact you to begin with? Via Ubiquity?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who's going to see D in Costa Mesa on the 31st? I might have to dip out of my aunt's wedding banquet to see this.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Ah man this was so awesome. Very cool. And man, Justin you kind of have a dope radio voice. It totally reminded me of a narator of a movie as well.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    And man, Justin you kind of have a dope radio voice. It totally reminded me of a narator of a movie as well.

PHONE SWOONING REVEALED

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn. THANK YOU.

great, great, great piece.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    [i]Justin Torres is a record nut

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    haha... i havent heard this since i did it. i think it was ubiquity that passed my number on to them. i did two npr interviews. one in sf at kqed and the other in new york at... some radio station when i was out there with the wife.

thanks for posting this tsega.

i know darondo is performing here in SF at the end of the month. hope to see some of yall there. if you havent seen him he really does put on an entertaining show:

May, 30 2008 at THE INDEPENDENT w/ NINO MOSCHELLA & ORGONE
    628 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California
    Cost : $17

ADV: $15 / DOS: $17 / VIP: $30 / www.maishaproductions.com