What You Won't Do For Love - Cover Versions

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
"What You Won't Do For Love" by Bobby Caldwell is one of the best songs EVAR. Plaese to reply with all the known cover versions of this song. I have the Natalie Cole/Peabo Bryson joint. Did'nt some 80s group like Wang Chung or Go West or somebody do a cover as well?Thank you folls.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    roy ayers

Forgot about that one. It's like a faster disco version. I remember thinking it was okay, but not great. I'll have to go pull it out (Ayo!) and listen to it again.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    oh yeah and the drum and bass guy goldie does a pretty annoying and unlistenable version.

oh yeah and the drum and bass guy goldie does a pretty annoying and unlistenable version.

LOL! Thank you. I will make sure to skip this version.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    2pac

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    love the ayers version but i always remember it being danceable/disco-y and then i listen and realize it isn't, at all

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have the Natalie Cole/Peabo Bryson joint.

That's coked up Cole steez.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I got time for some Caldwell, apart from the criminal haircuts he sported in the 80s (wasn't it kind of a Phil Oakey with a ponytail? [shudder...])

Go West did indeed do one. I haven't heard it which is probably a good move. However, I am more interested in the Phyllis Hyman cover which I now make a mental note to cop.

Bobby also did a cover of Gary Taylor's "Don't Ask My Neighbour" which is nice.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    I have an 80's dancehall version somewhere, I'll try to locate it.

Not mindblowing, but quite nice. On Wackies too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I feel like I have a version by Ken Boothe or Delroy Wilson somewhere...

I have an 80's dancehall version somewhere, I'll try to locate it.

Not mindblowing, but quite nice. On Wackies too.

Please post an MP3 of this if you find it!

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    peep reconstruction's myspace, ive heard them play this song much better on other recordings, but this is the only one i can find right now, and unfortunately its much slower than the one that i heard the first time i heard them do this song. you did ask for any known versions of it though so i thought i'd mention it.
    i'd definitely cosign on this song being a classic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I am more interested in the Phyllis Hyman cover which I now make a mental note to cop.

She does a very very good job.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I am more interested in the Phyllis Hyman cover which I now make a mental note to cop.

She does a very very good job.

That's a great album - real solid mid-80s grown-and-sexy Philly soul steez. She does a fine cover of Juliet Roberts' Loose Ends-penned "Ain't You Had Enough Love" on there, too.

• Otis Gayle's version destroys all the others imho - will post later today if needed (at work right now)

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    please do. while that dude wayne chin i posted sings all right, the production is somewhat outdated.

would love to have an all around great reggae take on the song.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    love the ayers version but i always remember it being danceable/disco-y and then i listen and realize it isn't, at all

Yeah, quite the opposite--kind of stretched out and atmospheric.

I really like this cut.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Otis Gayle's version destroys all the others imho - will post later today if needed (at work right now)

Lookin forward to this, his cover of "I'll Be Around" is my favourite reggae cover easily.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    On the Dionne Warwick live record, one of the sides opens with a medley of "What You Won't Do For Love" and EW&F's "In The Stone." I have a feeling it might be right up your alley. She takes it a little fast, but it's still kinda dynamite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wonder if there was some early-70's pen & paper version of
    Soul Strut, where a bunch of white dudes hated on Bobby Caldwell
    for being white ... "CARPETBAGGEUR!"

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    not to threadjack but does anybody know if there's an a capella of Caldwell's version floating around?