Cecil McBee

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I???m really into three of Cecil McBee???s LPs as a leader.Mutima[/b] on Strata EastMusic From The Source[/b] on EnjaCompassion[/b] on EnjaI think he???s a great arranger as well as a technical bass player. Was just wondering what you guys think of his music? Also does anyone know what his two LPs on India Navigation are like or his recent relase from the ???90s? And what is he like on other peoples releases only notable things I can think of him featuring on is Pharoah Sanders ???Thembi??? and Norman Connors ???Dark of The Light???, although I know he is on some Dollar Brand, Hal Garper, and Chico Freeman stuff.Thanks

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Bass isn't a flashy instrument, but he's a good technical player as you say and definitely held down some amazing albums through the years. I only have two albums as a leader in the 70s (multima and compassion). It seems like he was on nearly every album with players like cowell, heath, george cables, etc. Big session player.

Here are a few more albums he's on, from pretty common to obscure. The muse titles are really slept-on IMHO.

Woody shaw - "love dance" (muse)
    Roy Brooks - "free slave" (muse)
    Joe Chambers - "the almoravid" (muse)
    Chico Freeman - "kinds of mali" (india navigation)
    Pharoah Sanders - "Black Unity" (impulse)
    Pharoah Sanders - "izipho zam" (strata-east)
    Mtume - "rebirth cycle" (3rd st.)
    Jothan Callins - "winds of change" (triumph)

No love for cecil? Wow, tough crowd....

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
    Cecil is the shit!

Chico Freeman "Spirit Sensitive" is another killer on India Navigation

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Mutima[/b] on Strata East

I just cracked open a sealed copy of this last week that I was on the fence about selling or keeping. It's great. I'm glad I kept it. I'll have to keep an eye out for the others you posted.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    there are plenty of good records of cecil. but what i like best is his fashion line:

http://goingglobal.corante.com/archives/2004/10/04/cecil_mcbee_vs_cecil_mcbee.php

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ha ha yeah I noticed them ebaying before

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bass isn't a flashy instrument

Blasphemy! Bassphemy!

Owwww! Bermp-chick-a-bermp! Owwwwww!

Bass isn't a flashy instrument

Blasphemy! Bassphemy!

Owwww! Bermp-chick-a-bermp! Owwwwww!

OUTSIDE OF ELECTRIC SLAP BASS I MEAN.