The Jacksons Variety Show - WTF

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I DONT REMEMBER THIS!!???!!"In summer 1976, CBS television signed the Jackson family (including Michael, Marlon, Tito, Jackie, Randy, Rebbie, LaToya, and Janet) to appear in their own variety show, to compete with ABC's Donny & Marie. The Jacksons debuted on June 16, 1976, and ran on CBS until its cancellation the following March. The show was the first variety show hosted by an African American family."

Comments

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Amazing - that crowd is in absolute PANDEMONIUM. Ill.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Amazing - that crowd is in absolute PANDEMONIUM. Ill.

Its one of my favorite Jacksons songs but u know the crowd was told to "act up" for the performnace.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I remember this show. It was really no better or worse than the umpteen other variety shows that were out and about back then. One of the recurring skits was based on the song "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover," which every week showed you how to do just that...

I remember this show. It was really no better or worse than the umpteen other variety shows that were out and about back then. One of the recurring skits was based on the song "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover," which every week showed you how to do just that...

I just dont know what i was doin when this came out. I watched Donny & Marie religiously. Then again I was too young to dictate the tv.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I remember this show. It was really no better or worse than the umpteen other variety shows that were out and about back then.

yep... other long forgotten shows were stuff like the Melba Moore & Clifton Davis Show, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Lola Falana, Barbara McNair, Leslie Uggams and of course Richard Pryor etc. I at least vaguely remember all of those shows because it was so rare to see black folks on tv back then that it was a big deal every time one of them came on. That Jacksons show was where most people first saw Janet, when she was doing her Mae West impersonation

check here for mention of those and others: http://www.tvparty.com/variety1.html

most of the joints on that site i have at least some recollection of... the manhattan transfer show was pretty dope from what i remember. and john byner... damn, forgot all about his azz

I'd like to get my hands on a DVD of Watch Your Mouth w/ Joe Morton as a High school principal - 1978. I only came on PBS. It made What's Happening look safe.

I'd like to get my hands on a DVD of Watch Your Mouth w/ Joe Morton as a High school principal - 1978. I only came on PBS. It made What's Happening look safe.

More details please...what was the deal with this?

I don't remember Watch Your Mouth, but I definitely have fond memories of Up & Coming (a weekly drama about a middle-class Bay Area black family, 1980-81 - starring the delicious Cindy Herron, pre-En Vogue), and The Righteous Apples (1981 show about a fictional interracial soul group). Both were on PBS, and seemed like everybody I knew back then found out about these shows while channel surfing.

yep... other long forgotten shows were stuff like the Melba Moore & Clifton Davis Show, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Lola Falana, Barbara McNair, Leslie Uggams and of course Richard Pryor etc. I at least vaguely remember all of those shows because it was so rare to see black folks on tv back then that it was a big deal every time one of them came on.

Uggams and McNair were slightly before my time, but I definitely remember the others. And it seemed like most variety shows back then were summer replacements, depending on how big the host was. If they were bonafide superstars like the Captain & Tennille, then they got their program during the usual TV season. But if you were some middling act (the Starland Vocal Band) or total no-name (the Keane Brothers!!), they had to test you out during the summertime.

I'd like to get my hands on a DVD of Watch Your Mouth w/ Joe Morton as a High school teacher - 1978. It only came on PBS. It made What's Happening look safe.

I don't remember Watch Your Mouth, but I definitely have fond memories of Up & Coming (a weekly drama about a middle-class Bay Area black family, 1980-81 - starring the delicious Cindy Herron, pre-En Vogue), and The Righteous Apples (1981 show about a fictional interracial soul group). Both were on PBS, and seemed like everybody I knew back then found out about these shows while channel surfing.

Watch Your Mouth was a young Joe Morton as a teacher in a ghetto school.

It would come on around 2:30 pm on Channel 13 in NYC.

The only thing i recall was a dude/student groovin & singin Livin In The City in the hallway and Joe tellin him to keep it down. It was a message show but w/ a real double funky cast of kids. Somethin like A Piece Of The Action w/ Cosby & Poitier. It was double funky in its feel. Kinda in that White Shadow mode. But way more stripped down cause it was Public TV.
    I wonder if the tapes still exist.

Lookin on the net for it shows that Sarah Dash(LaBelle) was in the cast and did the theme song....

And a young Robert Townsend too!!!!

yep... other long forgotten shows were stuff like the Melba Moore & Clifton Davis Show, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Lola Falana, Barbara McNair, Leslie Uggams and of course Richard Pryor etc. I at least vaguely remember all of those shows because it was so rare to see black folks on tv back then that it was a big deal every time one of them came on.

Uggams and McNair were slightly before my time, but I definitely remember the others. And it seemed like most variety shows back then were summer replacements, depending on how big the host was. If they were bonafide superstars like the Captain & Tennille, then they got their program during the usual TV season. But if you were some middling act (the Starland Vocal Band) or total no-name (the Keane Brothers!!), they had to test you out during the summertime.

Like the Bay City Rollers?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i wish they would bring back the variety show.

I agree.

Cedric The Entertainer tried a minute ago,but he wasnt able to garner enuff heat.

Cedric The Entertainer tried a couple of years ago, but it flopped.

Cedric The Entertainer tried a couple of years ago, but it flopped.

I seem to remember Robert Townsend attempting a show like that in the '90s, but it wasn't a big hit either.

I seem to remember that not only was their show on (a) during the regular fall season and (b) right when their popularity was starting to slip, but (c) it was a Saturday morning kiddie show, wasn't it?

I seem to remember that not only was their show on (a) during the regular fall season and (b) right when their popularity was starting to slip, but (c) it was a Saturday morning kiddie show, wasn't it?

your right

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    IIRC it was called "Shang A Lang" or something equally Scottish / Thai.

I remember the Jacksons here in the UK. It used to have "One Bad Apple (Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch)" as the theme tune?

And the Beatles cartoon, with the bouncing dot for the words.

I couldn't understand all the fuss about 4 scousers.

AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Watch Your Mouth and The Righteous Apples were both produced by WNET in New York, the second largest content producer for PBS. Up & Coming was KQED in San Francisco. If you holler at them, they can probably dub you copies of the programs from their archives for a fee.

I remember the Jacksons here in the UK. It used to have "One Bad Apple (Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch)" as the theme tune?

No, you're thinking of the Osmonds' cartoon show.

Watch Your Mouth and The Righteous Apples were both produced by WNET in New York, the second largest content producer for PBS. Up & Coming was KQED in San Francisco. If you holler at them, they can probably dub you copies of the programs from their archives for a fee.

Do u have a guestimate? I will do that shit!!!!!

Here it costs about $30 for them to transfer a 3/4" tape or VHS tape to DVD. That's probably the going rate, I'd imagine. I know???seems a little steep for a single tape, but it is what it is.

Here it costs about $30 for them to transfer a 3/4" tape or VHS tape to DVD. That's probably the going rate, I'd imagine. I know???seems a little steep for a single tape, but it is what it is.

30 eagles aint shit for a raer tv show. Is there a department i should email/call to see if this can be done? Archives?

And is that 30ish per episode or 30 for the entire set(if a whole season is even on one roll/vhs tape)?

30 eagles aint shit for a raer tv show. Is there a department i should email/call to see if this can be done? Archives?

And is that 30ish per episode or 30 for the entire set(if a whole season is even on one roll/vhs tape)?

...WHOOOSH[/b]

(sound of Batmon and Pickwick trying to outrace each other to the telephone trying to see about buying these old TV shows)

I just spoke to someone @ WNET and he gave me a quick run down on what the process is. He said they only have 2 episodes left....

I called KQED and left a message...in the meantime I scanned their website and found this in the FAQ section:

Why don't you show my favorite programs from years ago?[/b]

When KQED acquires a program or series, we acquire broadcast rights only. Each contract for each show specifies two different windows of opportunity - the number of times we can broadcast the show, and the time frame in which those broadcasts can take place. The contract can run anything from a couple of days, to a couple of months, to several years. The most common "term" is for three years. After the term of broadcast expires, all the rights revert back to the producers and KQED is no longer able to air it. The producers can then do whatever they want with the show???retire it, sell it elsewhere, sell it to PBS stations again, etc. Often, the original contracts with participants in the program can limit future activities.

I will abandon the hunt if there's too much red tape involved.

Almost always one episode per tape. There's the master tape, then a broadcast copy, and a viewing copy. The master is the safety copy, the broadcast is, well, for broadcast, and the viewing copy is for research, etc. When I was looking into those shows, I thought WNET and KQED actually produced them, like we produce, say, Antiques Roadshow. If that's the case, I think they would retain the rights to them.

And yeah, Archives is the place to contact.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    bomp

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    That backdrop is what's up. Font?