ebay surprises

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
so I've been doing my first serious selling on ebay this last week, liquidating my duplicate hip hop 12s, and I've just been pleasantly surprised to shocked at what items sold, what didn't sell, and what some items ended up getting. Like $30 for a Beastie Boys Body Movin' 12", and now I just checked, and it looks like ALL of my cracker beats records are gonna sell, some for around $10. And of course the holy grail - Sadat X Wild Cowboys instrumental LP is over $20 and counting. what's some random stuff you thought would never sell/go for cheap but didn't?

Comments

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

what's some random stuff you thought would never sell/go for cheap but didn't?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't understand the usage of that "PAUSE."

Recently my man sold a copy of Common "Bitch In Yoo" 12" and it only got $2.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Like $30 for a Beastie Boys Body Movin' 12"

Wow, you couldn't GIVE that away when it was first released.

• http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234852570&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=015
    i had a feeling it would do pretty good but not this good
    i have another one up right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234849360&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=015
    thought id get about 40 for this

on the flipside i thought id get a lil more for this, although 177 aint bad
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234847898&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=015

few years ago i sold an opened uptown saturday night for 90 bucks

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Is it time for me to get rid of my Rawkus Deadstock Gold?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yeah, I unloaded 2 crates of hip hop that were sitting here for years one week and was very pleasantly surprised after hearing how "it's not selling".

Low expectations + good pieces + volume =

• Is it time for me to get rid of my Rawkus Deadstock Gold?
    if you got some BDKs then id say

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I still don't get what's so enchanting about that Marley Marl 12".
    Both of those tracks were on that crappy BBE album of his, no?

• juice crew completeionists ?
    i thought they were but i dont have that BBE lp to confirm

Low expectations + good pieces + volume =
    formula for success!

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Like $30 for a Beastie Boys Body Movin' 12"

Wow, you couldn't GIVE that away when it was first released.

I know right? I mean, the copy I sold was pretty VG++ to minty, but it sat around with no bids then BLAMMO - up to $30 in the last two hours.

And that Psycho Realm?!!?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That Marley has always been expensive

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    looks like some shill action going on there

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I hope to add some stuff to this list when my hip-hop auctions end tonight!

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

what's some random stuff you thought would never sell, but did? go for cheap, but didn't?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

what's some random stuff you thought would never sell, but did? go for cheap, but didn't?
    You don't know how to use PASUE

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I cringe at the thought of what my hiphop stuff will go for when i get around to throwing it up on ebay.

things aint like they used to be

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That Marley has always been expensive

A few years ago online shops still had it for under 10 - I never bothered cuz I didn't think it was worthy

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hip-hop's really no different than soul or jazz at this point... people are bidding big on items they do not know or were pressed in fairly small quantity... it's not really about the music anymore... pretty much just about the rarity, obscurity, the look and the trends.

You might not be able to get mad money on some of the big ticket items from the olden days but you will get $100+ on some bullshit you didn't even think about back then... it all evens out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Damn - if that were to suddenly become a $100+ LP, I could have like 10
    copies ready to go in a matter of days, just from local stores, and not pay
    more than $15 for any of them.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was going to throw a pile of 45s out because I didn't think anyone would want them. I put them on ebay the last couple of weeks & the big winner was my Blitz - "Warriors" 45 that got $41. Ended up getting over $100 for the pile, way better than just throwing them in the bin.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    I woke up to find that the first Juggaknots EP and a T da Pimp 12" (the one produced by jay dee) each went for more than $100

I was living in Japan at the time, which seems to inflate the price of hip hop records by about 200%. Even still ...

• I still don't get what's so enchanting about that Marley Marl 12".
    Both of those tracks were on that crappy BBE album of his, no?

you are right, both of them were on the LP
    don??t know why people pay these ridiculous spates...