Hall and Oates

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Anybody like ever listen to one of their albums other than the Greatest Hits. Just wondered if they are any good. I think there is one with a UFO on the cover and another where they are all aweaty and shit staring each other with the ice grill.

Comments

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts

there is a small amount of fun to be had on both these albums...

..plus the song "you make my dreams" is murderation!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Whole Oats[/b] is good, kind of has a California vibe more than anything with hints of folk, rock, country rock, and a bit of soul that would become a big part of their sound a few years later).

I also like Abandoned Luncheonette[/b], Voices[/b], Private Eyes[/b], and H20[/b] (a/k/a the ice grill album).

• young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts

this covers a lot of members

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Wow, this thread amazes me because I am originally from Philly and I am 38 so a question like this is very foreign to me. It's like did you grow up in LA and only hear the Doors Greatest Hits, or something akin to that. In high school "Maneater" and "Private Eyes" were ubiquitous.
    They are great, I love them, from 1971 when they had the glam make up all the way through to now when I put "One on One" on the chill out driving playlist.
    Also they had a songwriting partner, Daryl's lady, Sara Allen, for whom Sara Smile was written, she was a cool undercover songwriting talent of her day.
    Hall and Oates, very dope.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wow, this thread amazes me because I am originally from Philly and I am 38 so a question like this is very foreign to me. It's like did you grow up in LA and only hear the Doors Greatest Hits, or something akin to that. In high school "Maneater" and "Private Eyes" were ubiquitous.
    They are great, I love them, from 1971 when they had the glam make up all the way through to now when I put "One on One" on the chill out driving playlist.
    Also they had a songwriting partner, Daryl's lady, Sara Allen, for whom Sara Smile was written, she was a cool undercover songwriting talent of her day.

But who really owns all their albums? That's the question?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I've definitely held them all in my hand at the thrifts at one time or another. Some of their stronger 80s material has nice stretched out mixes on their 12s. I think my favorite is "One on One" b/w "Can't Go for That" -- if I remember the pairing correctly.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they have a lot of good albums. im partial to the fruity looking silver colored s/t

I've definitely held them all in my hand at the thrifts at one time or another. Some of their stronger 80s material has nice stretched out mixes on their 12s. I think my favorite is "One on One" b/w "Can't Go for That" -- if I remember the pairing correctly.

Oh I own em all....Definitely the 80's ones too, M.E.T.H.O.D. man...(Of Modern Love)??? Haaaat.
    In your neighborhood thrift.

Oh I own em all....Definitely the 80's ones too, M.E.T.H.O.D. man...(Of Modern Love)??? Haaaat.

No hatt here...im just reenforcing Raj's question.

Do u really need ALL the albums if your NOT a fan?

I am biased. But if you don't have Private Eyes, Abandoned Luncheonette or the Self titled (androgenous one that's silver) they are the standout whole albums.

if you don't have Private Eyes, Abandoned Luncheonette or the Self titled (androgenous one that's silver) they are the standout whole albums.

That's all u had to say.

if you don't have Private Eyes, Abandoned Luncheonette or the Self titled (androgenous one that's silver) they are the standout whole albums.

That's all u had to say.

Not quite, you also got that Method of Modern Love, and then on the 'ice grill' album you have 'One on One' which is hot and my secret favorite song on there, and then there's 'Say it Isn't So' but you prob wouldn't like that if it wasn't off your own personal soundtrack of driving with your parents.

and then on the 'ice grill' album you have 'One on One' which is hot and my secret favorite song on there,

Name 5 other songs from that album that's essential.

Shit I would buy only for Crime Pays, Maneater and One on One because you will find it for 25 cents. But I don't really think you want to be convinced. Just like you love Chali2na and I do not. Different strokes, Hall and Oates.

Shit I would buy only for Crime Pays, Maneater and One on One because you will find it for 25 cents. But I don't really think you want to be convinced. Just like you love Chali2na and I do not. Different strokes, Hall and Oates.

Relax. I have the Double CD greatest hits. U have to convince me to cop for more than the obvious singles. Uv only covered the Big songs.
    Most of them have videos.

And please quote me on me 'loving Chali2na'. im old enuff to know who he referencing.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    This video pretty much tells the story:

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    One of my fav. groups of all time. I'm serious.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    This video pretty much tells the story:

Wow. Never knew this had a video. That set up they are rocking is pretty album cover worthy. Peep Oates' vest!