Selling Your Car on Craiglist

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Is this a good idea?I have been contemplating getting rid of my high-maintenance VW and leasing something new and so I put up an ad this morning just to see what kind of response it would get... and I've been flooded with emails since I posted it... some of them seem legit others sketchy.Anyone ever do this?

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    make sure it isnt a fake VW. then the buyer might want their money back!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    does it have "fusk" written on the windshield in shaving cream?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Its a good idea i just sold my Honda Accord on craigslist last week I posted it at about 4:30 and sold it around 8:00... you can pretty much name your price within reason due to how high gas prices are people want vehicles that use less gas. Dude who brought my car said his other vehicle was a Yukon and that it cost well over $140 to fill up the tank here in Cleveland.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha ok now that makes some sense... my car is not in great shape, but it is a 4-cyl and gets better gas mileage than some...

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    I've sold 3 cars on Craigslist and I buy parts all of the time on there, it's no different than the good old newspaper only you don't have to wait long for replies as you have seen with your listing. Just make sure you weed out the unfunk first by seeing who is diligent about replying to you, who comes to see/test the car and sell on your terms, only do a title transfer at a notary/auto tag spot and don't sell to a dealer or you wind up getting screwed paying his sales tax, in fact try to sell it to a girl.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    and be prepared for absurd trade scenarios, even if you explicitly state cash only.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    no matter how on the level the buyer's emails might seem, just be prepared for this dude: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/nyc/368733833.html