What's your favorite LA Feral Bird?

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I shot this one the other day. It's a Yellow-Chevroned Parakeet (Brotogeris chiriri).Yellow-Chevroned Parakeet (Brotogeris chiriri)Sorry for the blurry shot.

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    post of the year

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    theres this one feral bird i saw walking down alondra the other day. id say she's my current favorite.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I saw a flock of wild parrots in Pasadena one evening while eating dinner at Bistro 350. that was crazy

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    There are two feral parrot populations established in San Francisco. Best known are the Red-masked Parakeet (Aratinga erythrogenys). I see them by the Presidio:

A second flock of small parakeets in the genus Brotogeris have a major roost in a palm tree at Dolores and 24th, just south of the intersection, in the island in the middle of the road. Yellow-chevroned Parakeets have largely replaced White-winged Parakeets in Florida and in Southern California but according to recent observations by Luke Cole, the San Francisco population is still primarily White-winged as it was prior to 1980 when studied by Patricia Arrowood.

Source.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I just saw a Mallard yesterday with like a dozen chicks near washington and sawtelle. I've never seen anything cool like a parakeet or anything though. Where are they?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Where are they?

i usually see these types of birds in their natural habitats of los angeles. perched upon some shirtless dude's shoulder on the venice boardwalk.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Where are they?

i usually see these types of birds in their natural habitats of los angeles. perched upon some shirtless dude's shoulder on the venice boardwalk.

Laugh out loud. So true.

Actually they roost in Pasadena part of the year, then spread out across Hollywood, etc. throughout the year. Most people don't even realize they are around since they fly high and fast. I've been interested for a few years since they used to land in mass on my roof, waking me up with their shrill, metallic chirps. They've moved on, but I hear one every day.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    There are two feral parrot populations established in San Francisco. Best known are the Red-masked Parakeet (Aratinga erythrogenys). I see them by the Presidio:

A second flock of small parakeets in the genus Brotogeris have a major roost in a palm tree at Dolores and 24th, just south of the intersection, in the island in the middle of the road. Yellow-chevroned Parakeets have largely replaced White-winged Parakeets in Florida and in Southern California but according to recent observations by Luke Cole, the San Francisco population is still primarily White-winged as it was prior to 1980 when studied by Patricia Arrowood.

Source.

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

I found this both entertaining and interesting.