Music related street names

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
cribbed from Uncut magazine:Real streets, who's been, what are they like? Tourist traps or is the homage real? 1) Korn Row Bakersfield, California2) Buddy Holly Avenue Lubbock, Texas3) Gap Band Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma4) Frankie Knuckles Way Chicago, Illinois5) Flaming Lips Alley Oklahoma City, Oklahoma6) James Brown Boulevard Augusta, Georgia7) Berry Gordy Jr Boulevard Detroit, Michigan8) Dio Way Cortland, New York 9) Joey Ramone Place Lower East Side, NY10) Bob Marley Boulevard Brooklyn, NY11) Calle de AC/DC in Leganes, Spain12) Bragg Close, in Dagenham, UK13) Frank-Zappa-Strasse, in Berlin, Germany14) Allee Miles Davis Allee Dizzy Gillespie Allee Duke Ellington, all in Nice, France16) Shawn Jay Z Carter Road, in Kwara State, NigeriaANY MORE?

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    theres beach blanket babylon blvd or some such. dont remember what its like

and bakersfield has way more music related names than just corn row. i think buck owens and merle haggard got streets named after them.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    isn't there an entire neighborhood in detroit with motown artist related street names?

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts
    Les Paul Parkway out here in Waukesha, WI.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Willie Mitchell Blvd. here in Memphis...basically residential...where Royal/Hi Recording is

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've visited the Hi studios in Memphis twice over the last 10 years. The first time I was disappointed to see zilch in the way of historical markers, commemoration, celebration, etc.

The second time (maybe 3 years ago) the block had been renamed Willie Mitchell Blvd or something along those lines. Can Memphis heads confirm?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    damn you beat me by seconds.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

4) Frankie Knuckles Way
    Chicago, Illinois

For the record, the above was an honorary naming. The actual street is, if memory serves me, the street where the original Warehouse stood. I forget which street it is. In Chicago the real street name is displayed on a green street sign. The honorary sign is brown and is placed above the green one. Other cities may do this too, I don't know.

I'm glad Frankie got the dap, but make no mistake, no one in Chicago (except perhaps the die-hardest of house heads) tells people that they'll meet them at the intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    But are these places just named to draw a few fan tourists to a part of town that's in the shade?
    Or are they paying real homage?

I find it quite hard to believe that Korn, for example, deserve the honour.

The Jay Z Road in Nigeria is named because he raised funds for an irrigation system there.

• Ben Websters Vej
    Richard Boones Vej
    Dexter Gordons Vej
    Kenny Drews Vej
    Oscar Pettifords Vej
    Ernie Wilkins Vej

(Did they forget Sahib Shihab?)

All in newly built resendential area in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Peace,

Dress

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Kenny Gamble is planning an entire Muslim enclave in South Philly but I don't know if he will name it after himself and Leon and Thom, and his boys and 'em.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

10) Bob Marley Boulevard
    Brooklyn, NY

Have been here on several occasions. Name fits the location. Majority west indies population. Not sure what the official area is called. I would guess FLATBUSH. Used to be a nice VEGGIE CASTLE in what was formerly a white castle. A ton of great dishes. also get my veggies around and cans of irish moss.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There is a Bon Jovi Blvd. at the H4H site I worked at just outside NO...he's been involved with them for a few years. He might be a nice man, but he's no good to listen to imo.

I've visited the Hi studios in Memphis twice over the last 10 years. The first time I was disappointed to see zilch in the way of historical markers, commemoration, celebration, etc.

The second time (maybe 3 years ago) the block had been renamed Willie Mitchell Blvd or something along those lines. Can Memphis heads confirm?

yeah, Memphis is bad about commemorating important musical spots/people...There is a Rufus Thomas Way downtown, but it is basically an alley ...but if it is Elvis related, they waste no time in gettin that shit done...

I know the song was named after the street, not the other way around, but all I could think about when I was wandering down Electric Avenue in Brixton was the tune...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

10) Bob Marley Boulevard
    Brooklyn, NY

Have been here on several occasions. Name fits the location. Majority west indies population. Not sure what the official area is called. I would guess FLATBUSH. Used to be a nice VEGGIE CASTLE in what was formerly a white castle. A ton of great dishes. also get my veggies around and cans of irish moss.

yeah, flatbush. i ride for veggie castle to the 19th degree.

• There's also a Tito Puente in East Harlem and I think there's a Celia Cruz too - I guess loads more I cant remember.

Dress

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

4) Frankie Knuckles Way
    Chicago, Illinois

For the record, the above was an honorary naming. The actual street is, if memory serves me, the street where the original Warehouse stood. I forget which street it is. In Chicago the real street name is displayed on a green street sign. The honorary sign is brown and is placed above the green one. Other cities may do this too, I don't know.

I'm glad Frankie got the dap, but make no mistake, no one in Chicago (except perhaps the die-hardest of house heads) tells people that they'll meet them at the intersection of Randolph and Frankie Knuckles.

That's not the only one, either. We have honorary streets named for Muddy Waters, Richard Pegue (musician/producer/dusties DJ), and "Tobacco Road" (Lou Rawls). But the streets are either residential or industrial - very seldom are they major areas where people go. Verb is essentially telling you right - Muddy, Frankie and all these other folks have their "honorary" street names on a brown sign, but you will not see them listed in the directory. (Does Steve Albini have a "street" too?)

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I grew up on Jett Road in Atlanta but somehow I don't think it's Joan related.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WTF, no Sleater-Kinney Rd, WA?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The cross section of Little John Ln & Eastside Dr. in Austin, Texas.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=little%20j...m=1&sa=N&tab=il

Complete with google street view.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

HAHA...dude this is my old street.

BIA BIA

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Smell Yo Dick Blvd. Claymont, DE

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

HAHA...dude this is my old street.

BIA BIA

You ain't real enough to live on the east side, foo!!!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

10) Bob Marley Boulevard
    Brooklyn, NY

yeah, flatbush. i ride for veggie castle to the 19th degree.

yeah they closed there doors a few months back. Still a nice roti shop on Ocean ave and Church (few blocks before it turns to marley blvd). also a new jerk place opening a few blocks west of coney island ave.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Every town I go theres a street
    Name of the street...

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Melbourne has AC/DC Lane...

Melbourne has AC/DC Lane...

However, I hear that it is 'ACDC Lane' because local by-laws forbid the use of / or the more authentic thunderbolt. So the town in Spain wins that one. I can't work out that connection by the way. Maybe Bon Scott had a timeshare apartment there!

As for Frankie Knuckles Way, they should name the other street Corky McClerkin Road and then everyone could arrange to meet at the corner of Corky and Knuckles.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yall So Stupid Blvd in Atlanta

google maps street view

google maps street view

er...it's a picture of a dog on a horse

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

google maps street view

er...it's a picture of a dog on a horse

works for me. It's a brick building.