Alton Ellis + Skatalites questions

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
What album does Ellis' "What Does It Takes To Win Your Love" originally appear on? And was it ever on single? Likewise, how about the Skatalites' "Sauvitt"? Both of these songs are blowing my mind right now.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What album does Ellis' "What Does It Takes To Win Your Love" originally appear on? And was it ever on single?

It's on the Sunday Morning LP - which is a pretty nice record with a big big song on it: Joy in the Morning

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think "Sunday Morning" is the later version. I'm talking about the version here (scroll to bottom): http://soulsides.muxtape.com/

• the Skatalites' "Sauvitt"?

A quick search indicates that it got a release on a Jamaican Studio One 7" in 1964. Matrix = FC3073B

not sure whether or not it got a UK 7" release.

Danke. I guess it's also on the "Latin Goes Ska" LP too.

I think "Sunday Morning" is the later version. I'm talking about the version here (scroll to bottom): http://soulsides.muxtape.com/

that's the Duke Reid side

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

That Treasure Isle side smmmoooookes. by far the most soulful reggae track I've ever heard.

That Treasure Isle side smmmoooookes. by far the most soulful reggae track I've ever heard.

!!!!

This Ellis pleads from the heart, but I invite you to (re)listen to Boothe's Lonely Teardrops.

edit - was it released on Treaure Isle too?

that's the Duke Reid side

DR 2501 Alton Ellis - What Does It Take // Tommy McCook & Supersonics -Reggae Merengue
    Produced by Duke Reid

?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anyone feel free to plaese to send me a "Mouth a Massey" single....love that tune, tough as nails

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

!!!!

It pleads from the heart, but I invite you to (re)listen to Boothe's Lonely Teardrops.

Other personal contenders:

Derrick Harriott - The Loser
    Carlton & the Shoes - Love Me Forever
    Cornel Campbell - The Sun/Queen of the Minstrels

• anyone feel free to plaese to send me a "Mouth a Massey" single....love that tune, tough as nails

I just found a copy of Stranger Cole - Foward in the Land of Sunshine last week, which has a great version of this song on it. Pretty fantastic record overall.

• Carlton & the Shoes - Love Me Forever

great tune. call me crazy but i favor Errol Dunkley's version of this classic tune. I have Errol's version on a UK R.I.O press from '66 with the sickest tune on the flip "The Toughest" by the Vietnam All Stars. Both sides originally from the Jamaican Olive Blossom label and produced by Buster. I am obsessed with Buster as well as all things recorded at Federal Studio. Big up Graham Goodall!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

!!!!

It pleads from the heart, but I invite you to (re)listen to Boothe's Lonely Teardrops.

Other personal contenders:

Derrick Harriott - The Loser
    Carlton & the Shoes - Love Me Forever
    Cornel Campbell - The Sun/Queen of the Minstrels

that Harriott is one of my favourites - the disco side with Slave on the flip is one of the most solid 12"s around imo.. his falsetto gem, Trial of Love, is also amazing.

the list of contenders is long!

• Great tune indeed from one my fav producer no question... here is another contender:

I'm (obviously) totally ignorant when it comes to reggae/rocksteady/ska.

Treasure Isle and Duke Reid sides are the same, no?

More specifically:

TI LP 007 Alton Ellis - Mr. Soul of Jamaica
    Tracks: Breaking Up / Why Birds Follow Spring / I Can't Stop Now / Ain't That Loving You / You Make Me Happy / Remember That Sunday / All My Tears Come Rolling / Baby I Love You / Chatty Chatty / Willow Tree / If I Could Rule The World / What Does It Take
    Produced by Duke Reid

• I'm (obviously) totally ignorant when it comes to reggae/rocksteady/ska.

all good man... here is a site that offers snippets of all the pama stuff ever released in the UK. they also offer snippets of stuff released on the UK bamboo, ackee, ashanti, banana labels plus others... good way to get a sneak preview of stuff you may be interested in buying:

http://reggaehitthetown.com/

Big up VillaBoy!

different labels - both belonging to Reid. Duke Reid the label only had a couple of yrs' worth of releases from '69 to '71 - I might be wrong by a year or two?

I'm now really confused. I've definitely heard two different versions of "What Does It Take" by Ellis - the version you identified as the Duke Reid side and there's another version that appeared on the "Cry Tough" comp which sounds later.

I thought the Treasure Isle version and Duke Reid version were the same however? No?

• different labels - both belonging to Reid. Duke Reid the label only had a couple of yrs' worth of releases from '69 to '71 - I might be wrong by a year or two?

it gets confusing as their is the "Duke" label their is also the "Duke Reid" label and of course "Treasure Isle" and "Trojan" labels... i think i am forgetting another but whatever... and the Duke Reid label acutally stopped in '73 with Dorothy Russell's " You're The One I Love".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Also, Oliver - often the mixes are different on LP. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the LP and 7" mix are interchangeable on any given tune.

• speaking of Alton... if anyone has the following single preferably on UK Nubeat 7" plaese to holler:

I'm now really confused. I've definitely heard two different versions of "What Does It Take" by Ellis - the version you identified as the Duke Reid side and there's another version that appeared on the "Cry Tough" comp which sounds later.

I thought the Treasure Isle version and Duke Reid version were the same however? No?

I was not being clear and it's confusing because he was recording for both Dodd and Reid at the same time.

Sunday Coming version (Coxsone) is not the same as the Duke Reid version. I am not familiar with Cry Tough - if it is a Treasure Isle release, it would make sense given the Reid connection...that he would slap one of his singles on any one of his labels' full lengths.

Thanks...I'm trying to untangle the 3-4 different versions of this song by Ellis but I think I'm getting a bit further.

Looks like he first recorded it for Treasure Isle, circa 1967, for the "Mr. Soul in Jamaica" album.

The version I'm so fond of is very similar but slightly deeper and appeared in 1970 on Duke Reid as a 7".

Then the version Bassie mentioned was on "Sunday Coming" in 1970 (Coxsone/Bamboo).

*whew*

speaking of Alton... if anyone has the following single preferably on UK Nubeat 7" plaese to holler:

can't see it - what is it?

Those horns are great.

• "I can't stand it"

you know the tune:

http://reggaehitthetown.com/NewbeatF.htm

"I can't stand it"

ah yes, sexy end of the night tune - lol

• "I can't stand it"

ah yes, sexy end of the night tune - lol

lol! indeed. but yous a fool for saying that...

"I can't stand it"

you know the tune:

http://reggaehitthetown.com/NewbeatF.htm

oh sh*t - great stuff on here - the Laurel Aitken "Baby I Need Your Loving" is so good