Alicia Keys Unplugged (appreciation/advanced copy)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Had the luck of swinging a ticket to this ultra-exclusive taping last night at BAM in Brooklyn. It airs in September and the album/dvd will be released in October.I've never been much of an Alicia Keys fan, but I have a whole new level of respect for her having seen her in this environment. Ol girl really belted out the songs, didn't miss a note and didn't shy away from the hard-to-hit ones that might have been easier to achieve in the studio than the live setting. I wasn't ever really sure how much piano she was playing on her records but she was definitely holding it down live. It was like seeing a young Patrice Rushen. The band was tight as hell. Only real down point was the totally random "finale" featuring superstar guest.... Damian Marley? Random. Common showed up and ripped things and Mos Def was too drunk/stoned to even move and kind of mumbled through a freestyle. But Ms. Keys was waaaay on point. Even swung a couple of soul covers and a new joint that uses the chords also sampled on "Old Times Sake" by Sweet Sable. Anyone cool enough to id that sample? I know this cut but can't call it.Anyways, I had a blast and definitely check out the show when it airs. No hype, it was real dope.

Comments

• Even swung a couple of soul covers and a new joint that uses the chords also sampled on "Old Times Sake" by Sweet Sable.

Intimate friends - Eddie Kendricks

went by the store last weekend..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good to see she's evolved, cause I saw her open for Maxwell @ Hammerstein about 3 years ago and she was trash. She could sing but her stage show was st8 doo doo. This was quite early in her career so I'm sure all the touring has tightened up her game. Maxwell's set was lava.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Good to see she's evolved, cause I saw her open for Maxwell @ Hammerstein about 3 years ago and she was trash. She could sing but her stage show was st8 doo doo. This was quite early in her career so I'm sure all the touring has tightened up her game. Maxwell's set was lava.

Yeah I used to kind of cringe when I saw her perform on TV... the Fur Elise shit and the b-girl posturing was really corny. She kind of did not do that and was a lot more graceful and focused on the songs; perhaps it was the setting because that's what it's supposed to be...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did she really play the piano/keyboard?And I mean play not accompany. The "keys" nickname always had me like .At least Patrice Rushen would have instramental jams on her albums. My thing is if you call yourself Keys the you should let the keys be you voice w/ your vocals as well. Kinda like Jonnie "Guitar" Watson would get his solo on here and there. Just wondering.

• the Fur Elise shit and the b-girl posturing was really corny. She kind of did not do that and was a lot more graceful and focused on the songs; perhaps it was the setting because that's what it's supposed to be...

Good to hear! Man, that was one of my pet peeves about her and it's good see her get rid of that, if only for one performance. I am definetly looking forward to seeing this when it drops.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I wasn't ever really sure how much piano she was playing on her records

Word. Can someone expound on this? Who really did the keys on her records?

Mos Def was too drunk/stoned to even move and kind of mumbled through a freestyle.

This seems to be a theme with the new Hollywood I-couldn't-care-less-about-my-fans Mos.

She had a solo here and there. But the difference between when she was playing and when she wasn't was clearly audible, and she was playing most of the time.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Had the luck of swinging a ticket to this ultra-exclusive taping last night at BAM in Brooklyn. It airs in September and the album/dvd will be released in October.

I've never been much of an Alicia Keys fan, but I have a whole new level of respect for her having seen her in this environment. Ol girl really belted out the songs, didn't miss a note and didn't shy away from the hard-to-hit ones that might have been easier to achieve in the studio than the live setting. I wasn't ever really sure how much piano she was playing on her records but she was definitely holding it down live. It was like seeing a young Patrice Rushen. The band was tight as hell. Only real down point was the totally random "finale" featuring superstar guest.... Damian Marley? Random. Common showed up and ripped things and Mos Def was too drunk/stoned to even move and kind of mumbled through a freestyle. But Ms. Keys was waaaay on point. Even swung a couple of soul covers and a new joint that uses the chords also sampled on "Old Times Sake" by Sweet Sable. Anyone cool enough to id that sample? I know this cut but can't call it.

Anyways, I had a blast and definitely check out the show when it airs. No hype, it was real dope.

1). I'm waiting for Faux_Rillz to chime in.

2). I'd never thought you'd go to an actualy Alicia Keys show or admit to enjoying anything about her, is "Snobathan" easing up?

2). I'd never thought you'd go to an actualy Alicia Keys show or admit to enjoying anything about her, is "Snobathan" easing up?

YOU THINK YOU KNOW, BUT YOU HAVE NO IDEA

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

YOU THINK YOU KNOW, BUT YOU HAVE NO IDEA

Paycheck + Keys = SONATHAN

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    granted, i havn't really listened to much of her stuff on cd's and what not, but everytime i do or see her perform in a live setting, i'm just completely blown away by her talent, demure, and straight up composure.

Alicia Keys =

damn, talk about sexy as hell too.

hollur.

(and please don't start a hot or not thread with this

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

(and please don't start a hot or not thread with this

uhhh, why the hell not? me I'd tap.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    you'd be out of your mind to not tap.

but do we really want another "is Alicia Keys hot or not thread"?

My vote is hell nah.