MY FRISCO POTNAS: WHERE TO GET A GOOD SHAVE?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
But seriously, where can a hairy faced dunny get a nice old fashioned shave in S.F.? I'm not talking about some downtown stylist salon bullshit; i'm tawn bout a stop in with some old dude who knows how it was before dudes got soft and would have a nice stacks of mags. The more Korean war action the better.I'm not shaving my swarthy beard completely but definitely want a different look.

Comments

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts

why dont you holler at your boy at "da zoo"?

for cereal tho, just ask where you get your nails did.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my dad goes to this spot on Union and Van Ness; dude's called Lou I think. I got a shave there once with the warmed up shaving cream and everything.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've always wanted to do the whole straight razor thing, but there aren't any reliable spots out here that I know of. It takes a lot of trust to put the fate of your face in another man's hands.
    I HATE shaving in general. Motherflubbing razor bumps, ingrown hairs, all that. I can't stand it. I'm about to go woolly mammoth one of these days and let it all hang out. That, or get some magic shave.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you let Justin lick your cheek that shit is like nair

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    let Justin lick your cheek that shit is like nair

my crotch is smoother than silk

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    holleur at serg. he has some spot that he swears by. "chicago" something or the other? i think they rock the straight edge jernts.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    for a shave I'd say hit 1512 Barber Shop, on pine between van ness and polk. It's a small barber with one chair run by some dude named Salvatore. I've never been in but word is dude is serious about being a barber. You'll probably have to make an appointment. They take walkin's but the place is small so the chance of waiting awhile is high. I don't like appointments so that's why I haven't been there but I walk by the place and seen the guy at work.

Alfonso over at new chicago in the Fillmore uses a straight razor too. I like dude a lot but I think 1512 would be better for a shave, especially if you want the whole art of shaving experience.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    my dad goes to this spot on Union and Van Ness; dude's called Lou I think. I got a shave there once with the warmed up shaving cream and everything.

YOU WAZ JUST SPRUNG OFF OF DUDES WARM CREAM ON YOUR GRILL!

DAY! YOU PUT YOUR "LIFE" IN A DUDE'S HAND ALL THA TIME.

HEY YYOOOOO!

But srsly, thanks for the input everyone. It seems like the art of "the art of shaving" is finding a dude who actually does it in these days and time.

for cereal tho, just ask where you get your nails did.

I AXE'D YOUR GIRL WHILE WE WHERE GETTING ALL SWEATY TOGETHER

this was at the gym, seriously a true story. holler.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I was on the Honduran island of Roat??n years ago and, after a week or so of not shaving, I got the bright idea to hit up a barbershop. I took the bus (read: van) into "town" and went to the local barber shop. I figured that it would be old school dudes who do this all day; I couldn't have been more wrong.

There were two women working there, and when I asked for a shave, they looked at each other like, "Okay...." Homegirl took out a little bowl, filled it with what appeared to be Electric Shave (some blue liquid?), whipped out a brand new disposable plastic razor, and gave me the most painful shave of my life. She might as well have done it with tweezers.

But I have had the proper barber shop shave experience--hot towel, warm shaving cream, leather strop, and straight razor--and Day is right when he says that there has to be an element of trust. It's pretty great, though.

I'mma go with Justin's recommendation.

SHOULD I POST PICS?

I'mma go with Justin's recommendation.

SHOULD I POST PICS?

You're gonna go w/ the nair tongue?

no pics plaese. k thx bai =P

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I'm about to go woolly mammoth one of these days

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    call me naive steve, but if it's that great why not just buy your own straight edge and them furry shaving cream brushes and get busy? maybe it's due to the fancy chin strap beard styles urrbody and their dad rocks in sf, but i don't understand why a man needs to go to a barber for a shave.

i'm disconnected from my local barber shave experience.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Aren't straight edge razors $$$?

• WYPWYP 28 Posts
    http://www.theartofshaving.com

San Francisco
    San Francisco Centre
    865 Market St.
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    415-541-9801
    map

I know some dudes that have tried straight razors. They have generally quit because it just takes too damn long to do it carefully and right.

But I don't know ANYONE that uses a "safety razor."

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/group.php?group=11&cat=3

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Proper.

Isn't a safety razor basically a disposable razor that isn't disposable?

yeah I guess but they have their own devotees much like straight razors do. I've never met anyone that uses one though.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Proper.

No, with a safety razor the razor is replaceable and disposable.

I recommend the Merkur Double Edge Adjustable. They run around $60.

There is an old shaving thread but I'll post a link to the Wet Shaving Forums anyway.

http://www.hydrolast.com/shaving/index.php?PHPSESSID=227329a15b4ec9a1f4fc03eae1017157;www

Read up and do it yourself.

I buy my supplies here:
    http://enchanteonline.com/pages/shaveculture/wetshaving.htm

• sergserg 682 Posts

yeah I guess but they have their own devotees much like straight razors do. I've never met anyone that uses one though.

I use one, it's way better than your turbomach6000plastic shit razor. The blades are way cheaper and honestly it's Frickin' retarded not to go with the safety razor. 20 pack of blades is like 5 bucks at riteaid. Fuck those mach3 4 packs of blades for 30 bucks or whatever the fuck they cost now.

I've considered copping a straight razor but stef thinks I'm going to slice my throat open with it. I don't think so, shit at work I've used box cutters to take out hairs I've missed in the morning.

I still use the og gillete sensor. it's cheap.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

i ran into kegs a couple of weeks ago & last time i saw homie was like six years ago. i never knew he opened up that spot. i've been in san mateo for two years and i still haven't checked it out.

But I don't know ANYONE that uses a "safety razor."

I do on occasion, I copped it from my grampas when were cleaning up after he passed. Its a damn fine shave. The first time I used it, I didnt realize how close it cut until I saw some blood pouring down my neck. Its a good cut, but takes a little longer imo. With a cheapo throwaway its quick and easy, like YP's girl.

Aren't straight edge razors $$$?

My woman copped one for her barbering exam for around $30.

Just be careful, she got me good while practicing, I didnt even notice until she started to freak out about all the blood

Its a pretty basic one w/ replacement blades, I think that the oneswith permanent blades that need the strop are a bit more bank.

Just be careful, she got me good while practicing, I didnt even notice until she started to freak out

I had a similar experience with your girl as she was "practicing".