45 Collectors...........

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Just wondering if you feel the need to buy more 45s (cheap or rare), simply because you're buying singles, instead of an LP where you get like 10 songs.

most of your top shelf 45s arent available on LPs, a ton of artists with great 45s never even made an LP....a lot of times the only way to get the tune is to cop the 45.

I'll take the LP over a 45 in most cases. Got all the meters, james brown, jbs LPs so I don't have to cram my box (don't quote that part) with 10000s JB, Meters singles. I only keep the 45 only cuts. Now if I could just get a hold of the damn Syl Johnson LPs my overcrowded J section would have so much more room to breath. Is I feel an Urge on LP?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

most of your top shelf 45s arent available on LPs, a ton of artists with great 45s never even made an LP....a lot of times the only way to get the tune is to cop the 45.

and sometimes it's a different/better version on the 45

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ...just learn to be patient and wait.
    This is SOoo true. I find that half the time the reason prices go out of control is because people have no patience and can't wait to get that record somewhere else.
    In the beginning I was more like that but I've been able to pull records out in the field more and more so I just don't see the need to do that anymore.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

a ton of artists with great 45s never even made an LP....

And conversely, a ton of artists with a great 45 made a TERRIBLE LP

anybody who's ever heard the O'Kaysions' Girl Watcher album knows what i mean

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I'll take the LP over a 45 in most cases. Got all the meters, james brown, jbs LPs so I don't have to cram my box (don't quote that part) with 10000s JB, Meters singles. I only keep the 45 only cuts. Now if I could just get a hold of the damn Syl Johnson LPs my overcrowded J section would have so much more room to breath. Is I feel an Urge on LP?

This basically defines my buying habits.

Not fronting on the fact that some stuff might sound better on a 45 or that there's just so many obscure artists that only released their material as a single. Just wondering why people would drop so much loot on stuff like Terry Callier's single,
    is it a 45 only release? drop thee knowledge.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    It's ok though, it comes with free shipping!

Phew, that's good.

And free tape:

Vinyl is in VG condition; decent gloss and labels, but tightly cracked in two places and repaired with clear tape.

...and I love how the $4,000 single is just sitting unprotected on a skanky-looking (moldy?) linoleum counter.

YOU WOULDN"T TREAT SALT LIKE THAT, NOW WOULD YOU?????//???///

IT'S ONLY A NORTHERN THING

B/W

DO YOU REALLY THINK THE SELLER JUST KEEPS THE RECORD SITTING THERE ALL DAY LONG?!?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I doo too. Basically, fill your head with the knowledge of old and get out into the field. I've paid well for some of my rarer items but I've scored many more at WAY below market value.

In the early days I was chasing the big ticket items more agressively but after a while you just learn to be patient and wait.

Yup. By the way, I just "rediscovered" your blog. I was searching for info on the van dykes and came across your writing. Really terrific stuff!

The best thing to do with 45s is grab a big ass box full of them and start digging. There are a million great soul 45s that retail for $10 and under. But you can't know what's what until you're flipping through stacks of singles and listening to stuff you don't know.

Can't learn shit about shit surfing ebay, true for LPs as well.

No doubt. I really need to invest in a portable.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I doo too. Basically, fill your head with the knowledge of old and get out into the field. I've paid well for some of my rarer items but I've scored many more at WAY below market value.

In the early days I was chasing the big ticket items more agressively but after a while you just learn to be patient and wait.

Yup. By the way, I just "rediscovered" your blog. I was searching for info on the van dykes and came across your writing. Really terrific stuff!

Thanks man!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    i am in the envy of all Studio 1 /Coxsone 45 collectors. even the essential foundation tunes are $$$.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    BRAND NEW SOULSTRUT CONCEPT/QUESTION:

What's the most you've ever paid for one of those shitty little overpriced singles?

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

I've paid $50-$100 bunches of times.

Now you go.
    I can't remember ever paying over $50 for a 45. I know my partner has paid $100 a couple of times on some northern things, she's a bit more impulsive than me though. I tend to buy quantity for cheaper & get lucky with some things I find. Did anyone see that VG- Stormy - The Devastator go for $720 recently, that was bonkers!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

What's the most you've ever paid for one of those shitty little overpriced singles?

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

Now you go.

I've never gone over $100 for a 45.

Most of what I've bought has been for $40 or less with a couple purchases in the $75-$100 range.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I'll pay $100-$200 if it's RAER and I really need it...If it pops up now and then, I'll try to wait it out and cop for cheaper...I guess I'm a dork though, I have all the JBs & Meters albums, but still rock the 45s when I play out, because they're pressed louder and easier on the back. Dorky 45 Collectro status =

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I have no problem paying $300 for a 45 if that's what it takes to get it. If a 45 pops up for sale once or twice a year you gotta be prepared to pay the price. I don't have much time for digging these days and I certainly can't be travelling to various spots across the country that had a local scene back in the day so I pay. I'm not in it to win any digging awards so I don't really care if folks have issue with my methods. I'm envious of dudes like Dante sometimes, but I have my career to worry about... digging is secondary to that.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

Now you go.
    I can't remember ever paying over $50 for a 45. I know my partner has paid $100 a couple of times on some northern things, she's a bit more impulsive than me though. I tend to buy quantity for cheaper & get lucky with some things I find. Did anyone see that VG- Stormy - The Devastator go for $720 recently, that was bonkers!

Collecting northern soul 45s can definitely serve to desensitize one w/ respect to the amount of money spent on a single record on the regular. Just take a peek at the "Sales" section on soul-source and you'll get an idea. Of course, it doesn't help that the dollar is so weak compared to the British pound these days, often making it a very costly endeavor for the buyer.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

Now you go.

Collecting northern soul 45s can definitely serve to desensitize one w/ respect to the amount of money spent on a single record on the regular. Just take a peek at the "Sales" section on soul-source and you'll get an idea. Of course, it doesn't help that the dollar is so weak compared to the British pound these days, often making it a very costly endeavor for the buyer.

Yes, some of the dudes I DJ with joke that they carry their mortgage around with them in a 45 case. Frank Driscoll from Australia lost a box on a plane once, he was freaking the hell out, luckily he got it back a couple of days later.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Most I've ever paid for a 45 was a little over $100 for Capprells "Open Your Eyes" (this was BEFORE all those minty copies showed up.)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    for DJing, 45s are definitely where its at...Ill go for the 45 of a killer track rather than the LP it is on...My DJ box/case holds about 130 some odd 45s...4 to 5 hours of play in there...no heavy ass LPs to haul around. If only I could get a hundred or so of my rock raers on 45, then things will be peachy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There are some 45s I'd be willing to drop $300 on. But alas, I've found that those are the ones that sell for twice that instead.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There are some 45s I'd be willing to drop $300 on. But alas, I've found that those are the ones that sell for twice that instead.

Those 2 Dynamic Corvettes auctions a couple weeks ago were depressing... I thought the first one was a fluke at $600, but noooooo

• $100+ more times than i can count.

$200+ it has happened quite a bit and lately it is becoming more and more common to drop this kind of loot for early reggae, rocksteady and ska killers.

$400 if i remember correctly a handful of times.

$800 once.

• $100+ more times than i can count.

$200+ it has happened quite a bit and lately it is becoming more and more common to drop this kind of loot for early reggae, rocksteady and ska killers.

$400 if i remember correctly a handful of times.

$800 once.

We have a winner.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Most I've ever paid for a 45 was a little over $100 for Capprells "Open Your Eyes" (this was BEFORE all those minty copies showed up.)

There's only one copy of that single.

The rest are all entitled "Close Your Eyes."

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

$800 once.

What was the 8? Tribute to Nehru??? I'd shell out for that one definitely.

On the mentality of 45 collecting: With the exception of the few years in the 60's and 70's where "the album" became esteemed as its own sovereign artistic entity, popular music is and has always been oriented around the single track mentality.

To us 45 folks, the notion of sitting down for 40 minutes - upwards of 80 if you're buying new shit - with the same group of people in your speakers is freakish and unnatural.

Also, I won't even start in on my belief that, with a handful of exceptions , the true essence of soul music can really only be found on the 45rpm format. No, that can of worms shouldn't be opened. or should it?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The answer should be simple....if you want the record, then you should do the homework to how much that it's worth and what it means to you. To say I'll never spend more than $30.00 on a 45 and possibly have a tune like Salt 'Hung up' in your wants list, is selling yourself short of what collecting is all about.

You don't have to spend cash money to acquire a big piece, just know what's hot to trade and up your knowledge.

It's a much tougher game with 45's, which IMO it's so misunderstood. It's not about scouting ebay for the highend knowns....more using your knowledge for the unknowns and playing the 'game'.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

...and I love how the $4,000 single is just sitting unprotected on a skanky-looking (moldy?) linoleum counter.

that's brad from peoples in detroit, he is and therefore his counter must be ?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    for DJing, 45s are definitely where its at...Ill go for the 45 of a killer track rather than the LP it is on...My DJ box/case holds about 130 some odd 45s...4 to 5 hours of play in there...no heavy ass LPs to haul around. If only I could get a hundred or so of my rock raers on 45, then things will be peachy.

And one of the early quotes from Keb that never gets used is that LP's were made for homelistening....you never see a vinyl LP jukebox, right?

45's is still the ultimate DJ'ing format in history.....2 gigs attended last week, one playing serrato that jumped, the other that played LP's that fedback. It's still a funny ol' game...

I should add, at my gig (which belson attended), the 45s were jumping too! We finally figured out the turntable coffin wasn't absorbing enough of the bass shake so that shit was skipping the tone arm off the 45s. DROVE US NUTS for a good half hour or so.

Sheesh!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I should add, at my gig (which belson attended), the 45s were jumping too! We finally figured out the turntable coffin wasn't absorbing enough of the bass shake so that shit was skipping the tone arm off the 45s. DROVE US NUTS for a good half hour or so.

Sheesh!

Propers to you though, O...the place was movin'.

Question, though....every time I've had to play after a serrato user and we're switching over the gear, I get huge feedback...whyizdat?

Belson: not sure. The only thing that comes to mind would be one of two things:

1) The needles rest in the groove better with the Microwave vinyl so when you use another record, there's enough of a micro-gap that feedback creeps in through the needle,

2) Since Microwave can increase the gain via the laptop, you don't need to up the gain on the mixer whereas, if you switch the, say, playing real LPs, you may have to adjust the gain higher, thus making it more susceptible to feedback.

The coffin set up atthe Short Stop has a lot o feedback issues by the end of the night but I've noticed, it's always when we have the gains on each TT channel cranked up higher. This week, I'll try the napkin trick again to create more vibration absorption under the coffins.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    OK, thanks...noted. I always bring my own needles, carts, cans, mic, mats, dinks etc, so it would/should never be a needle problem...I replace every 5 gigs. I didn't hear feedback at yours though...