The Impressions

2»

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Finally Got Myself Together is my personal favorite

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    One of the highlights of my year thus far was meeting Fred Cash and Sam Gooden from the Impressions...they were back in town for the release of the new Curtis Mayfield documentary DVD, which features several clips of the Impressions from various TV shows...cool guys, made me pull out their old records again (particularly the ABC sides)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One of the highlights of my year thus far was meeting Fred Cash and Sam Gooden from the Impressions...they were back in town for the release of the new Curtis Mayfield documentary DVD, which features several clips of the Impressions from various TV shows...cool guys, made me pull out their old records again (particularly the ABC sides)

What are they doing today? I'm think they have no songwriting credits, so royalties may be thin for them. Did they share in Curtom Publishing or anything like that?

• "Little Boy Blue" is one of my favorites.

general related question: what percentage of Impressions material is written by Curtis Mayfield? It seems like most of the songs give him publishing credits. That's pretty insane that he was writing enough material for his own prolific career and still had enough to fill many albums worth of Impressions tunes.

"Little Boy Blue" is one of my favorites.

general related question: what percentage of Impressions material is written by Curtis Mayfield? It seems like most of the songs give him publishing credits. That's pretty insane that he was writing enough material for his own prolific career and still had enough to fill many albums worth of Impressions tunes.

When I wrote the first reply I was only thinking of Curtis Mayfield era Impressions. There is one post CM Impressions where Leroy Hutson sings lead. I'm betting LH wrote a lot of those songs. Seems like some of those are near 100% Curtis projects, and some are more hands off. He even in the early days he was writing and producing hits (and misses) for other people besides the Impressions.

Their first hit was For Your Precious Love in '58. I'm pretty sure Curtis wrote that. The single was credited to Jerry Butler (or Jerry Butler & Impressions) which pissed off the rest of the Impressions.

Without Butler the first hit with Curtis singing lead was Gypsy Woman in 1961. A great song. They charted in 4 decades. That's a lot of records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Their first hit was For Your Precious Love in '58. I'm pretty sure Curtis wrote that.

He's not credited as writer.
    The credit goes to the Brooks brothers and Jerry Butler.

What are they doing today? I'm think they have no songwriting credits, so royalties may be thin for them. Did they share in Curtom Publishing or anything like that?

I didn't get that deep in their business, but evidently they're still touring around the world with some version of the Impressions (featuring Reggie Torian from the '70's lineup, post-Hutson).

I didn't get that deep in their business, but evidently they're still touring around the world with some version of the Impressions (featuring Reggie Torian from the '70's lineup, post-Hutson).

Another question for Pickwick. Who is the Tom in Curtom?

I'm assuming it's Eddie Thomas...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    "Seven Years" is my favorite song of theirs.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Another question for Pickwick. Who is the Tom in Curtom?

I'm assuming it's Eddie Thomas...

Yes, it was.