bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    is this going to sell ANY records?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ouch.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the whole thing sounded like a backing track, i kept waiting for the lead vocal to come in.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    reminded me of 'nothing compares to you'

meh

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Video is extra lame and narcissistic. Granted I'm listening on shitty computer speakers but, the song wasn't so bad, although I guess I was expecting the absolute worst having read the replies in this thread.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This is like Tom Waits only better cause she got bewbs!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Who will admit to the - maybe after enough of that KRSOne/Premier Smirnoff stuff?

That Basement Jaxx video for Where's Your Head at with the lab monkeys with human faces - this is kinda like that eh? What's up with all this bad dance music but great videos?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Future rare LP desirable to ScarJo stalkers, tragic shut-in star-novelty collectors, and guys who like mediocre folk LPs made by beautiful women.

• That Basement Jaxx video for Where's Your Head at with the lab monkeys with human faces - this is kinda like that eh? What's up with all this bad dance music but great videos?

Apparently, you can polish a turd.

Future rare LP desirable to ScarJo stalkers, tragic shut-in star-novelty collectors, and guys who like mediocre folk LPs made by beautiful women.

Waxidermy?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    What's up with all this bad dance music but great videos?

welcome to Europe.

Salman Rushdie is so screepy to me and his writing is some of the most overrated sh*t ever.

Remember Julee Cruise and that stuff she did for Twin Peaks - that was good.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Salman Rushdie is so screepy to me and his writing is some of the most overrated sh*t ever.

YOU SOUND IRANIAN.

B/W

What means "screepy"?

YOU SOUND IRANIAN.

B/W

What means "screepy"?

lol - the Republic's wish is my command.

typo! creepy
    apprarently my writing sucks too!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

YOU SOUND IRANIAN.

B/W

What means "screepy"?

lol - the Republic's wish is my command.

typo! creepy
    apprarently my writing sucks too!

Haha! No, you just need to make fifty-leven references I don't know (a la Rushdie) and you'll be hailed as a genius.

And for what it's worth, I refuse to listen to a note of this ScarJo shite, as I am a longtime Tom Waits fan.

But I also think Nico is musically talentless. Her cover of "These Days" is unbearably grating to These Ears.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    nico sucks. scarjo sucks. waits has some great material. no opinion of rushdie. padma fine though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Now, I may as well state for the record that I think Scarlett Johansson is hot, but somehow I can't quite picture people queuing up to shit on this record with quite the same enthusiasm if it was by some Pitchfuck-endorsed Hope Sandoval wannabe instead of a Hollywood actress. It isn't anything especially earth-shattering, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's much better than I expected it to be, and certainly doesn't deserve to be described as "butchery" or a "trainwreck". Mind you, that's to be expected from the kind of rock snobs and music geeks who seem unable to comprehend that a "girl" might be familiar enough with the work of Tom Waits to do an album's worth of his songs. I mean, how would that be possible..?

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I gots no beef. It's never going to be on heavy rotation here, but I like it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Mind you, that's to be expected from the kind of rock snobs and music geeks who seem unable to comprehend that a "girl" might be familiar enough with the work of Tom Waits to do an album's worth of his songs[/b]. I mean, how would that be possible..?

Really? For the record I don't really have an opinion on ScarJo (well, she's indeed good looking), I think Tom Waits is whatever, and that song is just plain bad; contrived.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    , that's to be expected from the kind of rock snobs and music geeks who seem unable to comprehend that a "girl" might be familiar enough with the work of Tom Waits to do an album's worth of his songs. I mean, how would that be possible..?

Nail on the head.

Please check Holly Cole's album TEMPTATION and see that this has been done before and not half bad, i might add.

And I agree with Bobby Dee. I kinda like it.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    What means "screepy"?
    I kind of dig that. Maybe it will make its way into the soulstrut lexicon. And actually fit the context quite nice.

Karl Rove is one screepy dude.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Song is aight but what a stupid self indulgent video, so uninteresting and uncreative like bad art school style. Are we supposed to feel something while we watch you jet set and ride in a backseat blackberrying, or be fascinated about a behind the scenes look of you getting your makeup done for a magazine photo shoot? This is vanity driven production and vanity breeds mediocre art and music. Take of the blond hair dye, the nose job http://city.udn.com/55568/2331377?tpno=40&cate_no=0 and the makeup and she is a cute little shorty and not much else.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Having not read everything he's ever written, I can still posit that Rushdie IS overrated ("The Ground Beneath Her Feet?" Yeesh - no thank you), but at least his short stories in the New Yorker are a bit better. There will always be details lost in the cross-cultural divide, but I have incredible respect for the man for taking a stand for what he believed in, even when the prospect of a death at the hands of extremists was at stake.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Song is aight but what a stupid self indulgent video, so uninteresting and uncreative like bad art school style. Are we supposed to feel something while we watch you jet set and ride in a backseat blackberrying, or be fascinated about a behind the scenes look of you getting your makeup done for a magazine photo shoot? This is vanity driven production and vanity breeds mediocre art and music. Take of the blond hair dye, the nose job http://city.udn.com/55568/2331377?tpno=40&cate_no=0 and the makeup and she is a cute little shorty and not much else.

It's not terrible, but the production is pretty typical. I'd probably have liked it better without the pointless video tempering my images of it - the seeming Alphaville references were too much for me, and they should have either made it one big glamour shot or one "memory lane" montage if they were going to go those routes. Hell - if Jan ??vankmajer was available, a short of his would have been much better. Bowie has done some pretty good work on his last two albums (Heathen especially), so maybe HE should have taken a shot at this one. The watered-down Sinead O'Connor connection is apt.

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    maybe its the fact I am listening to it on my laptop through shitty headphones but when they mixed it down they lowered the levels on the vocal track so the music would be covering up her vocal deficiencies? it just seems like her vocals are really low in the mix. but then again it may be how I am listening to it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    In other ScarrJo news.

She makes out with Pen??lope Cruz and Javier Bardem screws everyone in Woody Allen???s new flick.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/13/movie-trailer-woody-allenvicky-cristina-barcelona/

It sounded hot until Woody Allen's name came into it. He's even more screepy than Rushdie.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    In other ScarrJo news.

She makes out with Pen??lope Cruz and Javier Bardem screws everyone in Woody Allen???s new flick.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/13/movie-trailer-woody-allenvicky-cristina-barcelona/

Woody Allen or no, I'll fucks with that movie, if only to get a new image of Javier Bardem in my head (no ayo). His character in No Country... still haunts me.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    that video was a piece of shit.

i like nico, but scarjo sounds constipated.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Apparently,