Umm Kulthum Appreciation

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
In the late 70s I read a Bob Dylan interview where he said one of the best singers in the world was this Egyptian woman Om Kalsoum. I went to the record stores and asked for if they had any thing by an Egyptian singer that Bob Dylan says is the greatest in the world. Blanks. Every 10 years or so her name would pop up and I would search for her records. As most of us know there is very little non-bellydance Arabic music in American record shops. I could have tried to get a tape at a Lebanese deli but never did. Naturally I want vinyl. I have a thing about great female vocalists, Billie Holliday, Patsy Cline, Miriam Makeba, Edith Piaf, Mercedes Sosa... So I've always wanted to hear this elusive Egyptian singer. Hadn't thought about her in years until Sunday when NPR did a story on her. Now thanks to the magic of the internets and all the good people at youtube I can hear, and see her all I want. I've listened to about 4 so far of which these are the best to me.

Eli you out there?

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I ride for her. When I was in Egypt I copped a tape of hers that I still listen to. I had old Egyptian Jewish neighbors in Israel that still listened to her records; she was pretty universally embraced in a way that I don't think any Arab vocalist will ever be again.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I ride for her. When I was in Egypt I copped a tape of hers that I still listen to. I had old Egyptian Jewish neighbors in Israel that still listened to her records; she was pretty universally embraced in a way that I don't think any Arab vocalist will ever be again.

Cool. I found a video, with unacceptable quality, of her playing in Detroit with the Detroit symphony. I can't tell you how many record stores I went into that never heard of her. Never found one that had. I have been digging in the international bins since the 70s and pick up almost every mysterious Arab record I find, but have never seen her in the bins.

I'm glad others have heard her, even if they had to leave the country to do so.

• She's amazing. There are a bunch of great youtube clips of her performances which I'd highly recommend checking out.

I've read and heard her name spelled and pronounced about a dozen different ways. I've always been curious which is correct...

• I have been digging in the international bins since the 70s and pick up almost every mysterious Arab record I find, but have never seen her in the bins.

really? I have a bunch of her records. They turn up all the time in Brooklyn, always $5 or under. I just passed on a stack of em a couple weeks ago. I'd say about 50% are pretty crappy quality live recordings where it's just side A and side B full-lengths-worth of singing interspersed with applause and crowd noise, but there are some proper studio ones too. Holler if you're fiending, I'm down to trade. Also, are you psychedelic afro shop from ebay??? If so I met you one time.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I've enjoyed this early UK Argo release by her:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have been digging in the international bins since the 70s and pick up almost every mysterious Arab record I find, but have never seen her in the bins.

really? I have a bunch of her records. They turn up all the time in Brooklyn, always $5 or under. I just passed on a stack of em a couple weeks ago. I'd say about 50% are pretty crappy quality live recordings where it's just side A and side B full-lengths-worth of singing interspersed with applause and crowd noise, but there are some proper studio ones too. Holler if you're fiending, I'm down to trade. Also, are you psychedelic afro shop from ebay??? If so I met you one time.

No, I stole the graphic from Frank's blog.

That is the difference between Brooklyn and Portland. Now that I know her records are out there, and know her name, I will find one soon. Not sure what I have for trade.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    When she died Egypt stopped in sorrow for a day. Nuff said.

Seriously, she's brilliant, and the one LP I have of her (name escapes me, it's on Sono-Cairo with a green/white cover) has been one of my personal faves ever since I got it (in Stockholm of all places).

- J

• don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
    she was pretty universally embraced in a way that I don't think any Arab vocalist will ever be again.

some might aruge that Fairuz (Lebanon) has eclipsed Kalthoum in terms global stardom...both are legends either way though

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    she was pretty universally embraced in a way that I don't think any Arab vocalist will ever be again.

some might aruge that Fairuz (Lebanon) has eclipsed Kalthoum in terms global stardom...both are legends either way though

no doubt Fairuz was/is huge. I guess I was speaking from my own experience of seeing Umm Kulthum's appeal transcend some very real, very serious cultural divides. in the 50's and 60's, at a time when she was doing private concerts for Nasser (who rode very publicly for her) -- and Nasser was daily talmbout wiping out Israel, etc., basically leading the Pan-Arab movement against Israel -- Mizrahi Jews in Israel (Egyptian, Syrian, etc.) still openly listened to and felt her music, despite her being very much associated in the popular conscience with Egypt and Nasser and the Arab world. To this day she is popular among Mizrachi old-timers. I think that says a lot given the divisions that exist in the ME.